How do you combat soreness?

Options

Replies

• Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    okay maybe I need to stretch more. But I don't have a pool, I get a ton of sleep, and I don't know what number 3 is lol rollers? I am taking multivitamins that have fish oil in them... so far all I've done is cardio with some strength training. I don't have money for massages...so any other immediate relief strategies? this is where I hit the wall because I get so sore I stop working out and then I don't go back to working out hence why this is in the support forum, I refuse to fail this time, but I kinda can't get out of bed right now lol.

It sounds to me like you jumped into a program that's not really aimed at a beginner. If you eased into it over time (doesn't have to be a long time), I don't think you'd be *that* sore.
  • takingnameskickingbutt
    takingnameskickingbutt Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Never stop working out.

Sounds insane, but I only get sore on my very occasional off days!
  • rlv2680
    rlv2680 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    push threw the pain=) (unless it's an actual injury)
    Bath with Epson salt
  • ImKindOfABigDeal40
    ImKindOfABigDeal40 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I've heard that whey protein shakes right after a workout is supposed to help. I drink them but not for that reason.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    stretch, water, Aleve, foam roller, workout again
    Exactly. The more you workout the less sore you'll be after the workouts. Honestly you should be sore after strength training or you didn't work out hard enough. You'll adjust before too long and won't be nearly as sore but that shouldn't go away entirely. I kill my legs on Fridays and I'm usually pretty sore for a couple days afterwards but stretching and some light exercise just enough to warm up the muscles does help.

Remember, fat doesn't feel sore. Muscle does. You're making your body stronger so feel proud and embrace the soreness.
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    DOMS will usually be inevitable with a new type of stimulus.
    Here's some suggestions that can help with recovery, in no relevant order:

1. Adequate sleep.
    2. Appropriate stretching pre-post workout (you could also add on other times to do this as well).
    3. Regular foam rolling and/or massages
    4. Cardio
    5. Deloads/breaks from training
    6. Adequate nutrition along with appropriate pre/during/post workout nutrition
    7. Fish oils/multivitamin/other supplements
    8. Epsom salt baths and/or contrast baths
    9. Low intensity work in the pool

All of these :) Make sure you are staying hydrated too. If you have access to pool throw in a few aquatic classes.. They really help me :)
  • WilliamsJJ86
    Options
    For sore muscles I do a hot bath for about 10mins about 24hrs after a work out. You could try the ice bath? I forget how to do it cause I can't do that.
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    all the above...and protein right after your workout. it may be just a mental thing but on days when i eat protein within 15-30 minutes of my workout i feel less sore the next day. if i wait longer or don't get an adequate dose (at least 30 g.) then i'm dyinggg the next day

this. plus the above. i think it's NOT in your head. I don't do the protein 'shakes' (cause of calories) but I do have a frosty cold glass of milk or some protein after a strenuous workout AND a hot shower (end tepid) I've had minimal soreness - no pain & not enough to deter me from working out
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I kinda love being sore. Today, my inner thighs and that area right under my butt where my upper thigh meets hurt like a mofo and it's awesome....and I'm pretty sure it's from my work out 2 days ago since I added in some new things.

But in all seriousness, stretch before AND after exercising, and just remember that doing something challenging and different to your body will definitely hurt. If I have a particularly tough workout with heavy weights or running a long distance, I'll pop a couple ibuprofen right when I'm done just to help out with the inflammation.

Whatever you do, don't stop working out because it hurts. Active rest can REALLY help to combat muscle soreness. If I'm having one of those "oh my God I can't even walk down the stairs" kinds of days, I'll do a light workout, like walking or the elliptical without much resistance just to keep my muscles moving without really putting too much stress on them. Helps with circulation and it usually decreases the soreness for me.

Just wait....one day you'll wake up all sore from a work out and say "Ahhhh it hurts so good!!!"
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    My mentality is "soreness happens. Get used to it and push through it."
  • Kenhabes
    Kenhabes Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    There was an article in a respectable outlet (can't find it now) that talks about using the muscles that are sore (lightly) in order to actually help with the soreness.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6392811
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I know when I started jogging I felt more sore then I ever have. I almost couldn't get out of bed by day 3. However I got out of bed and jogged for day 3, and after my jog I found myself to be less sore. Stretching helps a lot as well. Sore is good, it's my way of knowing I'm doing something right lol
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Sore is good, it's my way of knowing I'm doing something right lol
    It's not "good" or "bad" - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/597458-doms-overtraining-and-deload-weeks
  • sofitheteacup
    sofitheteacup Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I kinda love being sore. Today, my inner thighs and that area right under my butt where my upper thigh meets hurt like a mofo and it's awesome....and I'm pretty sure it's from my work out 2 days ago since I added in some new things.

Whatever you do, don't stop working out because it hurts. Active rest can REALLY help to combat muscle soreness. If I'm having one of those "oh my God I can't even walk down the stairs" kinds of days, I'll do a light workout, like walking or the elliptical without much resistance just to keep my muscles moving without really putting too much stress on them. Helps with circulation and it usually decreases the soreness for me.

I don't usually get sore but had this problem this week- was getting sick this weekend so didn't work out on Sunday but spent the day in bed, hoping to knock it out so I wouldn't have any problems during the week. That didn't happen, but I went to the gym Monday for two hours and felt AMAZING afterward... only to wake up Tues and Wed sore in those exact same areas mentioned above. Tuesday I cut my usual HIIT short by 15 min, then yesterday I just did half time on the ellitpical on the generic setting for 32.5 min. Today I feel better, so I'll go back to my usual thing.

TLDR version: yes, keep going to the gym when you're sore, just tone it down or cut the time.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Sore is good, it's my way of knowing I'm doing something right lol
    It's not "good" or "bad" - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/597458-doms-overtraining-and-deload-weeks

While I agree, but not all soreness is DOMS, I jog, I am still sore but not as bad, and I KNOW I've gained muscle and leaned up... I can see it.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Options
    Read the entire thread. Soreness has nothing to do with growth. Correlation doesn't imply causation.
  • julieh1973
    julieh1973 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    You don't want to risk an injury so you may want take a day or two off. It should get easier as your body gets into better shape.
    Right now my legs are horribly sore ( I added a new DVD and bike riding to my routine) so I am going to work on my upper body- lift some weights and try to do some sit ups in the mean time. Thank goodness a hot bath helped to ease some of the pain this morning.
  • LadyVivica
    LadyVivica Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I do drink a protein smoothie after each workout. Ibuprofen would be a quick fix, but I was diagnosed with Fatty Liver Disease and have been banned from NSAIDs. I drink about half a gallon of water a day plus high quality loose leaf green tea in between meals. Dinner I have protein (beef or chicken) with veggies.

Thank you all for your input, I appreciate all the comments and support. I do not have a gym and am currently working out at home and running on a trail about a mile down the road. I have to drive to the trail because the road to it is very dangerous for pedestrians. I know I will feel better in the long run its just hard for me to get over the soreness =(

I missed what DOMS mean lol
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I don't know, latest research on stretching doesn't recommend it. But, whateves. If you do it, they say after, not before. Again, whateves.

I just drink chocolate milk right after a workout. True story.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Options
    Link us to this research please.