are good FATS good for LOSING FAT?!

Options
tyring to figure this one out....

most of my fat comes from avacados, salmon, nuts, coconut oil and sometimes bacon :tongue: etc

i'm trying to build muscle and lower BF%

how many grams are ideal for 24 y/o F, 5'7", 130 lbs?!

am i consuming too much? too little?

open diary

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    tyring to figure this one out....

most of my fat comes from avacados, salmon, nuts, coconut oil and sometimes bacon :tongue: etc

i'm trying to build muscle and lower BF%

how many grams are ideal for 24 y/o F, 5'7", 130 lbs?!

am i consuming too much? too little?

open diary

Except for transfats, all fats are good for you. Salmon and avocado's are just higher in calories and have sources of stuff like Omega's 3 which can improve weight loss.

Also, you can't cut body fat and gain muscle. They are different approaches. One is a calorie deficit and one is a calorie surplus.

ps- the biggest thing that will hurt your results is the alcohol that i see fairly regularly.
  • hkatrobos
    hkatrobos Posts: 49
    Options
    oh cheese and eggs too...

is cheese a bad fat? i find i eat a lot of cheese, but mostly for the protein!!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    oh cheese and eggs too...

is cheese a bad fat? i find i eat a lot of cheese, but mostly for the protein!!

I dairy every day and I have lost 6% body fat so far. It's good fat. And I added more to my original statement.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Those fats are fine, but if you want to build muscle you need to lift like hell and eat enough protein. Weight loss is about deficit and i suspect with your stats, your looking to tone up, so just lift heavy, eat your protein and be in a slight deficit.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Your thread title implies you want to lose fat but you say you want to build muscle. So which is it?
  • hkatrobos
    hkatrobos Posts: 49
    Options
    both! are you saying that you can not lower BF% while gaining muscle mass?!
  • snowgrrl83
    snowgrrl83 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    You NEED to eat fat to make your body function properly.
    Yes, fat is good.
    What you are trying to do is called a "Body recomposition" lose fat and maintain/gain muscle at the same time. This means that you need to eat lots of protein, lift heavy while eating at maintenance level calories. You need some fat in your diet, otherwise you will go crazy and binge or quit your diet....or your body will go nutzo. You need fat for your organs to function properly.
  • snowgrrl83
    snowgrrl83 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    It is very difficult/nearly impossible to a significant gain muscle while losing fat at the same time...
  • Glucocorticoid
    Options

Lower BF% and losing fat are not the same thing. You can lower your BF% by gaining muscle.

For example, let's say I weigh 195 and carry 30 lbs of fat. My BF% is 15%.

I can now gain 10 lbs of muscle and weigh 205. My BF% is now 14.5%.
    Or I can now lose 10lbs of fat and weigh 185. My BF% is now about 11%.

But yes, outside of newbie gains when you first start out, you should just consider it an impossibility to gain muscle while losing fat. The body is doing opposite things for these processes and will have mutually exclusive requirements.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    Yes, but on a time line, it's equally to a nanosecond, they're called nubee gains if a person has never done any weight training before, so basically no, for all intense and purposes, especially for a woman. Sometimes when body fat is reduced it makes people appear bigger and more muscular it has to do with ratio's, like shoulder with compared to waist width.......the smaller the waist from fat loss, shoulders look bigger for example. If you don't actually have much muscle mass and appear skinny fat, then a more aggresive bulking/cutting phases are needed, but you don't look like your in that catergory.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Yes, fat is good.
    What you are trying to do is called a "Body recomposition" lose fat and maintain/gain muscle at the same time. This means that you need to eat lots of protein, lift heavy while eating at maintenance level calories. You need some fat in your diet, otherwise you will go crazy and binge or quit your diet....or your body will go nutzo. You need fat for your organs to function properly.

and
    It is very difficult/nearly impossible to a significant gain muscle while losing fat at the same time...

Listen to this one... she knows her stuff.
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    For sure! Natural fats over carbs will make us feel more satiated. Just make sure you get enough protein. I would say for you about .3 grams per lb of lean body mass. The rest can be fats or carbs. Our body tend to prefer burning fats over carbs. When we eat carbs, we spike insulin and it causes those sugars to go to fat. Want t know more? PM me.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Options
    Do yourself a favor and don't PM him.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    LOL..quoted for truth.
  • stargazer008
    stargazer008 Posts: 531
    Options
    Just eat fats except for trans fats. Fats can help you feel fuller than eating carbohydrates. Plus the body requires fat to function such as nutrient absorption. Saturated fats aren't bad for you because your body requires them too so don't be afraid of them.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Yes, fat is good.

Thank you for this. I have goals similar to the OP's and just posted a topic asking if I should be eating at maintenance or at a deficit. According to your post I should stay at maintenance which makes sense to me, but someone else had told me I should go to a deficit so I was confused. So thanks again!
  • ryliejaiden
    ryliejaiden Posts: 68
    Options
    these fats are great for you and as long as you aren't eating more than about 40g in a day, you'll be fine.
    I like to limit my fat to 9g a meal.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    Yes, fat is good.

Thank you for this. I have goals similar to the OP's and just posted a topic asking if I should be eating at maintenance or at a deficit. According to your post I should stay at maintenance which makes sense to me, but someone else had told me I should go to a deficit so I was confused. So thanks again!
    Lifting at maintenance will structurally build more muscle then at a deficit and during this phase you'll actually be putting yourself into a deficit from that muscle building, which if you continue to do this, which may take longer will turn out to be the more successful route to a better body recomposition.
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    LOL..quoted for truth.

Pathetic childishness. If it doesn't agree with your diet myths, then no one should talk to me. Makes sense. I'll be ignoring this thread now because the trolls are already out throwing stones.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    LOL..quoted for truth.

Pathetic childishness. If it doesn't agree with your diet myths, then no one should talk to me. Makes sense. I'll be ignoring this thread now because the trolls are already out throwing stones.
    If it was just one aspect of your post that didn't make any sense, that's one thing but every point you made is totally off base and proof a little information is dangerous in the wrong hands.