Metamucil... fiber supplement

Options
jenna25
jenna25 Posts: 213 Member
I was reading Dr. Oz's daughters book called the Dorm Room Diet and in the book she talks about a supplement called Metamucil, she says to take it twice a day after a meal to help you feel full longer and pretty much to help you digest better (pretty much make you poop) sorry gross i know, but i was wondering if this is a good idea or not...i bought some but im worried i dont want to start taking it like a laxative, i like the idea of making you feel full longer but the laxative part kind of worries me into getting into the eating disorder mindset... any thoughts? or has anyone taken this?

Replies

• jfeh
    jfeh Posts: 30
    Options
    I take Metamucil in the morning before breakfast. I use it just for the fiber, to keep me regular :smile:
    Metamucil's active ingredient is psyllium husk, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psyllium_seed_husks), so it basically just a way to get some extra fiber in your diet, and fills you up the way eating lots of fiber would. Metamucil is a natural laxative, so it will soften your stool. It is pretty safe, I would say give it a try starting with once a day, and see how your body responds, and if you like it or not. Keep in mind Metamucil does have about 45 calories per tablespoon if you are calorie counting, and as with any fiber supplement, it is best to drink it with lots of water ( I always mix mine with extra water). Hope this helps.
  • MsFargo
    MsFargo Posts: 27
    Options
    I prefer the Yerba Prima brand of psyllium husks because I don't like things pre-sweetened.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    as jfeh said, it's basically fiber. It might have the effect of making you feel more full, and it's a useful tool for that if you have balanced your carbs, proteins, and fats and you still struggle with your overall calories. Fiber is good for you, the side effect of too much is, err, intestinal distress. You'll know it. BOY will you know it. If you need a seatbelt on your toilet to keep out of Low Earth Orbit, or you find yourself starting a long novel in the bathroom because you feel you might be able to finish it faster there than the recliner, you're taking too much. ;)

Don't use it as a way to make an unbalanced/starvation diet feel less starving, and you won't have anything to worry about in the eating disorder department.
  • ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    My doctor and nutritionist have recommended that I take a fiber supplement before meals 3x a day for the reasons given. I'm supposed to aim for 26-30 g of fiber per day. Even when eating a lot of veggies, I don't always get there without the supplement.

I decided on Benefiber instead of Metamucil, as it is tasteless and colorless. I add it to my water or tea.
  • diddyh
    diddyh Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I decided on Benefiber instead of Metamucil, as it is tasteless and colorless. I add it to my water or tea.

My dogs have to have a fiber supplement for their digestive problems. We've tried both brands. The Benefiber is much, much better. It desolves quickly. Metamucil gets really gross and thick.
  • luhluhlaura
    luhluhlaura Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I've had this same dilemma...there's a bottle of Metamucil in my cupboard but I don't know if I should start taking it because I don't want to start using it as a laxative. I started to get that way with coffee because it is a colon stimulant and decided I need to cut back because of the caffeine and the reasons I was drinking it. That mindset is definitely a real concern, so if you start using the supplement always monitor your behaviors.
    I would suggest starting with half a scoop per day or one serving every other day. Try your best to get natural fiber, maybe eat a few prunes lol, and drink TONS of water. I find that at times when I eat a lot of veggie fiber, I get sort of constipated if I slack on my water intake!!
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Its not a laxative, its just fiber. It helps bulk up your excretions. Metamucil has artificial sweeteners in it, so it is something I avoid. You don't have to worry about the eating disorder aspect, as your body will still be able to function without fiber. If you do decide to take this, drink a lot of water!

Veggies have a lot of fiber as well, so I wouldn't worry about taking fiber too much if you are eating a lot of veggies.

Finally, if you are concerned with the timeliness of your movements, try something with probiotics, such as yogurt, kombucha, or fermented veggies. A large part of your stool if dead bacteria (the good stuff), so these probiotics help with this.