1200 calories menu?

alf1163
alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
edited September 18 in Food and Nutrition
When you can only eat 1200 calories because you took a day off from exercise, what do you eat??? Can you give me details of your menu with calorie amounts? I am just being lazy :laugh: And of course, healthy foods that incorporate everything you need, good fats, good carbs, protein and fiber...I would really appreciate your ideas!!!!

Replies

• alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    When you can only eat 1200 calories because you took a day off from exercise, what do you eat??? Can you give me details of your menu with calorie amounts? I am just being lazy :laugh: And of course, healthy foods that incorporate everything you need, good fats, good carbs, protein and fiber...I would really appreciate your ideas!!!!
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,788 Member
    I will second that. I'm watching the "what did you have for ____" and can't believe people only eat that much!
  • I have been trying to get to 1200 calories also, and I will do the following;
    Breakfast: 1 hard boiled egg, one grapefruit, about 6 prunes
    Lunch - a whole plate of raw veggies, wtih a tbsp of ranch dressing - usually cauliflower, radishes, snap peas, carrots, cherry tomatoes, red pepper
    Dinner - 1/2 chicken breast, pounded thin and sauted in olive oil, some steamed asparagus, and an apple or some berries, or a taco salad - ground turkey with a little low sodium taco seasoning, just 1/4 cup per serving, on lettuce with tomatoes and scallions.
    Snack - a power or protein bar before I work out late afternoon. I like Clif Bars, or the Power Bar Pria.
    Can always eat more raw veggies any time.

The weight has been melting off - 10 pounds in the first two weeks, and I have only had 2 days where i really felt hungry. Mostly eating all I can eat of raw vegetables, fruit, nuts, beans, olives, olive oil, and a little protein - chicken, eggs, fish. No dairy, no meat, no bread, potatoes or rice, no sweets, no alcohol, very little bananas or pineapple. Strict, but i am eating a lot of volume with the veggies and fruits.
  • jbuehrer
    jbuehrer Posts: 285
    I have been trying to get to 1200 calories also, and I will do the following;
    Breakfast: 1 hard boiled egg, one grapefruit, about 6 prunes
    Lunch - a whole plate of raw veggies, wtih a tbsp of ranch dressing - usually cauliflower, radishes, snap peas, carrots, cherry tomatoes, red pepper
    Dinner - 1/2 chicken breast, pounded thin and sauted in olive oil, some steamed asparagus, and an apple or some berries, or a taco salad - ground turkey with a little low sodium taco seasoning, just 1/4 cup per serving, on lettuce with tomatoes and scallions.
    Snack - a power or protein bar before I work out late afternoon. I like Clif Bars, or the Power Bar Pria.
    Can always eat more raw veggies any time.

The weight has been melting off - 10 pounds in the first two weeks, and I have only had 2 days where i really felt hungry. Mostly eating all I can eat of raw vegetables, fruit, nuts, beans, olives, olive oil, and a little protein - chicken, eggs, fish. No dairy, no meat, no bread, potatoes or rice, no sweets, no alcohol, very little bananas or pineapple. Strict, but i am eating a lot of volume with the veggies and fruits.

that sounds excellent... you have got yourself a good diet. Me... well... i can't stay away from cheese and bread. I haven't had any kind of meat in months
  • The weight has been melting off - 10 pounds in the first two weeks, and I have only had 2 days where i really felt hungry. Mostly eating all I can eat of raw vegetables, fruit, nuts, beans, olives, olive oil, and a little protein - chicken, eggs, fish. No dairy, no meat, no bread, potatoes or rice, no sweets, no alcohol, very little bananas or pineapple. Strict, but i am eating a lot of volume with the veggies and fruits.

I am worried about your diet Atheis, because I did the same thing, and I lost 40 lbs in 2.5 months, but then when I started introducing dairy, meat, bread, sweets and alcohol back into my system once I reached my goal weight, it didn't take long to pack on the pounds again and more.

I believe that weight loss is a lifestyle change, and once I reach my goal weight, all I have to do is slowly increase my calorie intake until I reach my maintenance calorie level. I still eat the stuff I love but in moderation and in low calorie doses. I believe in the 5-6 meals a day, 3 main meals, all under 400 calories, and 2-3 protein shakes to keep me full. I am never hungry, I think the 10 glasses of water also helps, and believe me, 3 weeks ago, I was eat 3000-4000 calories a day, I ate huge portions, and I was always hungry.

Here is an example of my menu for two days, I ALWAYS try to eat more fiber and protein then recommended, because it keeps you fuller longer. Plus, I love to cook so I make big batches of lasagna, chili, chicken and dumplings, etc. freeze it, and then I have lunches made for myself and my boyfriend for the entire week! With this diet I have lost 10 lbs in my first 3 weeks.

I hope this helps.

Tuesday
    Calories Fiber Sugar Protein
    Breakfast
    Milk - Nonfat (fat free or skim), 1 cup 86 0 0 8
    Body Fortress - 100% Premium Whey Protein, 1 scoop (33g) 110 0 2 26
    Astro - Fat Free Zero , 125 g (1/2 cup) 50 0 5 5
    EZ Fibre - Fiber Supplement, 1 tbsp 20 6 0 0
    Strawberries - Raw, 0.5 cup, halves 24 2 4 1

Lunch
    Home Made - Beef and Vegetale Chili, 1 3/4 cups 314 11 0 24

Dinner
    Home Made - Chicken and Dumblings, 472 g 356 3 6 38

Snacks
    EZ Fibre - Fiber Supplement, 2 tbsp 20 6 0 0

Total: 1,176 28 19 155
    Your Daily Goal: 1,462 20 20 144
    Remaining: 286 -8 1 -11
    *You've earned 262 extra calories from exercise today

Monday
    Calories Fiber Sugar Protein
    Breakfast
    Strawberries - Raw, 1 cup, halves 49 3 7 1
    Astro - Fat Free Zero , 125 g (1/2 cup) 50 0 5 5
    Bananas - Raw, 1 small (6" to 6-7/8" long) 90 3 12 1

Lunch
    Home Made - Lasagna, 1 piece 389 3 0 31

Dinner
    High Liner - Healthy Bake Multi Grain Fish, 2 fillets (100g) 160 7 2 12
    Green Giant - Green Beans Frozen, 1 1/4cup 35 3 2 2

Snacks

Total: 1,205 31 32 120
    Your Daily Goal: 1,430 20 20 141
    Remaining: 225 -11 -12 -21
    *You've earned 225 extra calories from exercise today
  • jill5677
    jill5677 Posts: 56 Member
    I think there are a few key things to do... if you are going to eat something, try to find the least calories. For example, I found a bread that is 80 calories for 2 slices. Granted the slices are a little smaller than other breads, but you won't notice. It can save you almost 80 calories if you do this.

Also, I don't add vegetables in my calorie count. Those are FREE in my mind. Of course those are non-starchy vegetables and I try to eat lots of variety of veggies so as not to get too much of 1 thing.

I've also found that broth-based soups are low in calories, but you can have a lot. 2 servings is often 250 calories or less, which should be plenty with lunch, paired with some veggies and even leaves room for some dip!!! :)

Also - I find ending the day with some popcorn is great. It's very low in calories and it is a food that i feel i can eat until I'm done rather than trying to portion it out!

Here's a sample day for me:

Breakfast
    Flavorite - Crunchy Granola Bars - Peanut Butter, 2 bars 200

Snack
    Bananas - Raw, 1 small (6" to 6-7/8" long) 90

Lunch
    Campbell's Select - Traditional Italian-Style Wedding Soup, 2 cup 220
    Toufitti - Better than Sour Cream (soy), 2 Tbsp 85

Snack
    Silk - Live! Soy Yogurt, 1 6oz container 160

Dinner
    Village Hearth - Light 12 Grain Bread, 2 slices 80
    Boca - Meatless Chicken Patties, 1 patty 160
    Miracle Whip - Dressing - Light, 1 tbsp 25
    Ruffles - Cheddar & Sour Cream Ruffles (Baked), 1 oz 120

Snack
    Orville Redenbacher's - Butter, 2.5 cup popped 75

Total: 1,215
  • Hi there

I have been following the 1200 calorie diet and have been cooking recipes from the book "The eat clean diet cookbook" by Tosca Reno. The foods are delicious, but you are eating very clean. I have had weight issues due to having my thyroid removed and have not lost weight in weeks even though I do 2 hours of intense weight training and cardio 4 days a week. By using this website and logging EVERYTHING I eat and following the eat clean recipes, I have lost 2 pounds without going hungry and my boyfriend lost 3 pounds as well.
This discussion has been closed.