anyone doing low carb, high protein??

Options
So I have been doing low carbish, high proteinish diet for the past few weeks. i noticed on this board, the calories it gives me are wayyy lower than my carb calculations say (MFP says 1200, other says 1500) and here they want almost 200 g of carb and no more than 60g of protein?! For my diet I am doing no more than 90g of whole wheat carbs (and those that are in fruits and whatnot) and 150g of protein! HUGE difference. Anyone else doing a diet similar to mine?? Is there a way to change the ratios on this website so itll stop telling me to eat less protein and eat more carbs?!? Its frustrating!

Replies

• siobhano_
    siobhano_ Posts: 101
    Options
    Go into "goals" on the home page and select custom. I'm doing less than 100g carbs a day and more than 100g protein, I set it up that way
  • jodster83
    jodster83 Posts: 2
    Options
    Go into "goals" on the home page and select custom. I'm doing less than 100g carbs a day and more than 100g protein, I set it up that way

This. I'm doing a protein only diet, my carbs and fat intake are kept below 10g each with protein between 90-120g's. Seeing awesome results :-)
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Adjust it in the goals section as mentioned above. Im doing no more than 90carb and aiming for 120g protein. I dont want to go waaaaay low carb (been there, done that) but my body cant lose on 200ish g of carb a day!
  • msccarter
    msccarter Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Wow what does your diet consist of, like give an example of a day's meal. I'm doing carb less than 100g and protein greater that 100g
  • bellieff
    bellieff Posts: 43
    Options
    im going for the same same goals, i changed it manually in my goals settings.
  • IrishMinx32
    IrishMinx32 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Wow what does your diet consist of, like give an example of a day's meal. I'm doing carb less than 100g and protein greater that 100g

Mainly meat, veggies, eggs. Takes getting used to it, but I realize i don't feel so bloated and I'm rarely hungry!!! I aim for no more than 50mgs of carbs a day, but i do go over sometimes. Protein is always high for me. Sodium is a toughy. Stay away from processed meats like hot dogs, lunch meat ect. I also watch my sodium because my ankles swell with too much salt.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    Hi honey,you are doing the same as me i suspect!! :)

i need 60g protein a day also,i heve it set in the setting to 60g protein and just ignore the rest as you cant change them all GRRRRR,so just do the protein i think you will be able to keep an eye on the sugar,fat and carbs yourself!!

Good luck x
  • Mishka84
    Mishka84 Posts: 17
    Options
    I'm eating low carb/ high protein. Set my macros to 40/30/30 (P/C/F) on the goals section so I try to eat around 140g protein, 100g carb and 45g fat. I tried to do Paleo for a while but completely cutting grains does't work for me! I ended up craving white bread (don't even like it!) and sugar and had no strength to lift or run!

This seems to work for me so I'm sticking with it for now, just play around with the percentages until you find a balance that suits you :smile:
  • texastango
    texastango Posts: 309
    Options
    (MFP says 1200, other says 1500) and here they want almost 200 g of carb and no more than 60g of protein?! For my diet I am doing no more than 90g of whole wheat carbs (and those that are in fruits and whatnot) and 150g of protein!

The medical explanation of what I am going to say is too long for this board. You can look up many of these facts though. I'll try and save you some time:

First - it's reported that you need at least 100 grams fo carbs per day to feed the brain. You don't want a shortage of mind food.

Second - Protein intake - stardard intake is 1.0 grams per kilo (one kilo = 2.2 lbs). That's about half your weight. If you have Renal problems (kidney issues) the number goes down to 0.8 grams per kilo. So check out if your kidneys are okay before you embark on a high protein diet. High protein by itself is probably okay if you have normal kidneys, but there is evidence it is toxic to leaky kidneys.

How much is too much ??
    SCAN - The Sports Cardiovascular Health, Welness, and Nutrition Web Site - used as a resource by nutritionists has helpful information even for atheletes, aerobic or resistance training.

With aerobic exercise the protein intake should generally increase to 1.2 - 1.4 grams per kilo body weight.

With weight training / resistance training the number goes up to approximately 1.4 - 1.8 grams per kilo.

There is NO SCIENTIFICALLY PROVEN benefit above 2.0 grams per kilo (basically your weight). So if you weigh 120 lbs, then 120 grams of protein is about your upper limit - if you don't want to figure out the real number 120 divided by 2.2, then multiplied by 2.0. equals 109 grams.

Higher protein doses are not effective in helping restore glycogen stores (ie muscle building). Another way to look at it is MFP recommends 15 percent protein diet. Double it (30 percent) of your calories are a max protein amount. Just remember to multiple the number of calories MFP gives you for your day by 30 percent. Then divide by 4 calories per gram protein to see how many grams. Example: MFP tells you 1200 calories per day. x 30 percent = 360 calories for protein. 360 divided by 4 calories per gram of protein = 90 grams protein as a max.

Hope this helps.
    8443442.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • SexyCook
    SexyCook Posts: 2,253 Member
    Options
    Bumping to read up on later.....
  • CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Yes with great success. The high protein in particular fuels everything else.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    First - it's reported that you need at least 100 grams fo carbs per day to feed the brain. You don't want a shortage of mind food.

The brain can also run on ketones derived from fats, and does so in the absence of carbs. The liver can manufacture glucose too, so the brain doesn't go short on even 20g of carbs per day.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I am doing lower carb, higher protein, but I'm not being super strict om myself.

because I have insulin resistance, I am on a doctor supervised diet of under 100 net carbs a day. That means ALL carbs are counted, even those in fruits and veggies. However, I can subtract the carbs from fiber since they have minimal impact on blood sugar.
  • FlyeredUp
    FlyeredUp Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    No I do high carb, high protein. I tried the low carb thing because I was told by a couple of paleo wacko's at the gym that I wouldn't be able to get a six pack by eating a diet high in carbs but it was the biggest mistake I made during my weight loss journey. I felt weak, lost strength and the intensity of my workouts dropped off by a considerable amount. You can do it, but why?? There is absolutely no reason to torture yourself like that. And yes, I understand that some people are carb resistant and need to lower the amount of carbs in their diet, but it usually isn't an issue until you drop below 15-18% BF. for most people.
  • TamTamW
    TamTamW Posts: 27
    Options
    I am doing a low carb (20g/day) very low sugar (10g/day) with high protein (140g/day) which is the Atkins diet Induction phase. I feel great, more energetic, and eating lots of great foods.
  • Ash6772
    Ash6772 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks so much for all the great comments!! Ive been limiting my calories to between 1200-1400 and no more than 85ish grams of carbs per day. the only carbs i am eating are coming from my fruits and veggies, and whole wheat/whole grain products only. im trying to eat about 130g of protein per day (which is toughhh!) I dont really want to go drastic and cut my carbs to nothing... so i want to see how this pans out for me first.