Leg Pain While Running

Options
I have been running since late December, and doing a modified version of C25K. I have finally overcome issues with my asthma by improving my lung capacity, and have stopped getting shin splints, I am up to 3- 4 miles/ per day, running 4 days per week. I was feeling really happy with my progress, and now I have been getting muscle pains on the inner area of my lower leg (soleus muscle). I was wondering if anyone had any tips for possible causes, new stretches or solutions to prevent this pain. I am not one to complain about pain, but this is just driving me nuts, and it is really hampering my progress as a runner. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• nursenikki829
    nursenikki829 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    nr55552069.jpg

Here is a visual for pain location. It is located at the Soleus.
  • audreygonzy
    audreygonzy Posts: 169
    Options
    bump! I got it in both legs two nights ago and am in soooo much pain. I've had it before but it's worse this time:(

edit-if yours is constant it's probably something different. mine happens when I stretch it past it's point after a day of super work outs. With only time and no exercise for a bit it heals.
  • nursenikki829
    Options
    My pain occurs during running, but I have discomfort while I stretch. I feels better after I rest for a couple of days, but it comes right back.
  • mikes99mail
    mikes99mail Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    have you had someone look at the way you run? I didnt realise, but my feet collapse inwards when I run, meaning I pulled my calf muscle every 2 or 3 months (a bit higher than yours, the gastro-thingy, I think!). Didnt need new shoes, just some insoles to support my arch and it fixed it completely.
  • nursenikki829
    Options
    I don't know anyone who is a runner to have look at my running technique :cry: I will have to look into some insoles.
  • mikes99mail
    mikes99mail Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    is there a running store nearby? Some have treadmills to check you before they recommend which shoes to buy - might be worth a try!
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Do you have a local running store, they could analyze your gait. You could also try your local gym, or if those aren't available try a physical therapist.

But yes, it sounds like you need to look at how you are running. You might be able to change your shoes.
  • nursenikki829
    Options
    is there a running store nearby? Some have treadmills to check you before they recommend which shoes to buy - might be worth a try!

I wish!!!! I live in a small town, so the nearest would prob be 45 mins to an hour away. I will have to look into it. Thanks!
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    What shoes are you wearing (ie, did you get fitted for running shoes, or go with a more general cross trainer)? If its bothering you that much, you should make the trip to a running specialty store and get fitted. The shoes are more expensive, but they make all the difference in the world, and will help you avoid injury
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Yeah, what shoes, specifically, are you wearing. Make and model. It sounds like you might need a little more stability. Tell us what you are wearing now and maybe we can make some suggestions in the absence of a running store near you. Can you take a video of your feet from behind while running and post it on YouTube?
  • kimchi84
    kimchi84 Posts: 56
    Options
    there is alot of videos on youtube about forefoot running which is the best way to run, you should def check it out.
  • kmorris246
    kmorris246 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    OH, I feel your pain! I've had this pain on and off for about 3 months :-( Its not bad when I'm running, but if one of my little ones climbs on my lap and their knees and/or feet dig in the right place on my leg, its all I can do to keep from screaming out in pain :-( And its in that EXACT same spot you have referenced in your diagram.
    I actually did get fitted at a running store, and thats the best advice I can give. They spent over an hour with me to find the right shoe, but I don't know whats going on now........ might just be a hint that its time to go buy a new pair???

Good luck!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    in addition to what's been recommended, try getting some calf compression sleeves. I love my Zensah ones.
  • katemme
    katemme Posts: 191
    Options
    could possibly be from your hip. i went to an injury screening because my right hip was in pain after running. she said the right side of my hip was out of alignment after doing some feeling around my leg and hip. my knee/ankle trying to compensate was in pain because of it.

go to a running store and see if they can look at your gait or try a free injury screening.

i also use zensah calf/shin compression sleeves after i run and that lessens my recovery time. i'm definitely going to get the thigh sleeves soon. and i hate them, but ice baths for 10-15 min could help too.
  • nursenikki829
    Options
    Yeah, what shoes, specifically, are you wearing. Make and model. It sounds like you might need a little more stability. Tell us what you are wearing now and maybe we can make some suggestions in the absence of a running store near you. Can you take a video of your feet from behind while running and post it on YouTube?

I have Teva Forge Pro eVent Trail running shoes for when I hike/ trail run, and for running on asphalt, I wear Adidas Liquid High Performance Running Shoes. The nearest running store is about 45 minutes away, so I will have to get out there.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

Adidas Liquid High Performance Running Shoes

I can't even find any real running related reviews for this shoe. Also, it's not sold at Road Runner Sports, so that usually means it's just an athletic shoe that Adidas is claiming to be a running shoe. I would strongly encourage you to make that 45 minute drive and get fitted for a real running shoe. It makes a world of difference. I ran in the wrong shoe for a long time and was always hurting at 25 miles per week. I am in the right shoe now and run a lot more miles than that, injury free.