Showering makes me sick

Options

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried a cold or lukewarm shower? How about a bath?

I can't tolerate cold (hashimotos disease), but I have taken lukewarm showers before. Unfortunately the shower in our condo only has 1 knob that rotates to the right...starts in the off position and gets hotter the more its rotated. It also has a temperature regulator that starts at 80 degrees. We leave it on 80, but I wish the regulator would go lower than 80.
    OK, so... what happened in the past when you took a lukewarm shower?

And seriously, why are you in the shower for so long?
  • iva001
    iva001 Posts: 162
    Options
    this happens to me if i havent eaten. heat + lightheadedness
  • Alisha_countrymama
    Alisha_countrymama Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I passed out in the shower once. And fell out of the shower bruised my stomach really bad, and was only a few inches from smacking my head on the stool. It was embarrassing. I have gotten sick to my stomach in the shower before too, but usually it's when I have it up to hot.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    You get sick if you're in the shower longer than 10 minutes?! I would die of boredom if I stayed in the shower for 10 minutes. That's a long time! Plus it seems like a huge waste of water. I like to get in, get it done and get out. But to answer your question, if I'm already nauseated, showering does make it worse for me. Being in a hot bath or a hot tub for too long makes me feel awful, too. I am known for taking warm (never hot) showers and only taking a few minutes.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    It used to happen to me when I'd wake up and everything would black out for a few seconds. I have no idea why though. Usually sitting down for a few seconds helps.

This happens to me all the time. It's called orthostatic hypotension - when you switch body positions your BP drops. To help, you should move slowly between standing and sitting and vice versa. Sit on the edge of the chair or bed for a moment before you rise. No sudden movements!

On another note, one time after taking a hot shower, I went blind for like thirty seconds...it was super freaky. But I have low blood pressure generally speaking (100/60, 95/60 ish) so I attributed it to that. Maybe you have low blood pressure like I do. But I would definitely ask your doctor.
    Interesting. It's been a couple years since it's happened from sleeping so I've kind of just brushed it off because it doesn't bother me anymore, but it used to a lot. One time I sat up in bed and lost my balance from it and practically fell off my bed!
  • LindaLou252
    LindaLou252 Posts: 106
    Options
    sounds like a vagal problem...
    So, it only affects women? Interesting.

No, it's a vagal response... Google it. lol ;)
    And, I agree with you. Sounds like a vagal response to me, too. Maybe check in with a cardiologist. You may already have, since you have the thyroid issues. Tell him what's going on. I would, at least, get it checked out by a MD.
  • thepanttherlady
    thepanttherlady Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I have to leave my bathroom door open to help get "fresh" air in there. This has helped me from feeling like I'm going to pass out at times.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    Everyone else said most of my ideas, but you could try taking something like dramamine if your doc has no answers. There are other motion sickness medications that could help...

However, I'd be inclined to think it was lack of food/water that was the most likely culprit. Try showers at different times of day... If this happens in the morning, switch to the evening, as the morning, your temp is at its lowest and showers can drastically raise your temp. Temp changes making you sick could be your disorder, but can also just be a way of saying, hey, the body doesn't have what it needs to keep things in order.

Make sure you've got a healthy diet, and watch the time, and report back :P what happened 8 years ago in your life that changed?
    Did you have a kid? Start dieting? Gain a lot? Lose a lot? Anything?
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    Interesting. It's been a couple years since it's happened from sleeping so I've kind of just brushed it off because it doesn't bother me anymore, but it used to a lot. One time I sat up in bed and lost my balance from it and practically fell off my bed!

Dang I've never had it that bad! But for me it does come and go. Sometimes it'll affect me for a week and other times I won't notice symptoms for months!
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    sounds like a vagal problem...
    So, it only affects women? Interesting.
    No, it's a vagal response... Google it. lol ;)
    And, I agree with you. Sounds like a vagal response to me, too. Maybe check in with a cardiologist. You may already have, since you have the thyroid issues. Tell him what's going on. I would, at least, get it checked out by a MD.
    Sorry -- I thought it was vaginal, and wondered what in the world it had to do with this.

Also, I always take 15-20 minutes to shower and rub out all of the dirt and stuff.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    If showering yourself causes you to feel like dying, that may be a good time to bring this up to a professional. I don't know of any great plumbers in the east coast, but perhaps your doctor might suggest something better.
  • giggles7706
    giggles7706 Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    I have to make sure I've eaten otherwise I will get nauseous in the shower and I also have to leave the door open. I take incredibly hot showers and if the door is shut, the heat makes me feel like I'm going to pass out.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options

I can't tolerate cold (hashimotos disease), but I have taken lukewarm showers before. Unfortunately the shower in our condo only has 1 knob that rotates to the right...starts in the off position and gets hotter the more its rotated. It also has a temperature regulator that starts at 80 degrees. We leave it on 80, but I wish the regulator would go lower than 80.

Do you still have your thyroid?? Mine was removed when I was diagnosed with hashimotos.
  • scubachick2287
    Options
    1. Go to a doctor.
    2. Invest in a shower chair and save yourself the dangers of falling.
  • k2quiere
    k2quiere Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    My showers rarely take longer than 10 minutes.

Do you have a detachable shower head?

I don't yet but, when I get one, I am pretty sure mine will take longer and, well, I might get pretty *ahem* dizzy after a while.

If you have a detachable shower head, maybe you should switch to a regular one if it is causing health concerns.

I miss my detachable shower head...it had a pulse setting.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options

A shower that's longer than 10 minutes is long?
  • DarkNebula84
    DarkNebula84 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    My showers rarely take longer than 10 minutes.

Do you have a detachable shower head?

I don't yet but, when I get one, I am pretty sure mine will take longer and, well, I might get pretty *ahem* dizzy after a while.

If you have a detachable shower head, maybe you should switch to a regular one if it is causing health concerns.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    I have one.....but if it took that long I would conserve water and find a different way :wink:
  • pamfm
    pamfm Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Lots of people have mentioned that this can happen on an empty stomach, but I actually get dizzy and nauseous in a hot shower if I shower immediately after eating or drinking.
    If your stomach is usually full or empty when you shower, maybe try the opposite?
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options

A shower that's longer than 10 minutes is long?
    I thought only guys took showers less than 10 minutes. It takes me almost that long just to wash/condition my hair!
  • lorac321
    lorac321 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    1. I would invest in a chair until you can find out what is wrong (as someone else mentioned)
    2. You should be able to turn down the thermostat on your water heater but if you can't get cold water in your shower you probably need a plumber.