WHAT A DIFFERENCE A YEAR MAKES!! (+ photos)

Options
nowornever47
nowornever47 Posts: 333 Member
Hi, I figured today would be a good day to tell my story. I’m 48 yrs old and as for as long as I can remember I have been overweight. During my 18 years of grade school, I took dance classes and played field hockey through high school, but you would not have called me athletic. I didn’t really like exercising and being that I was asthmatic; it made things even more difficult. I did, however love food and had a pretty good appetite. By the age of 25 or so, I realized that I was considered obese for my medium-sized, 5’ 2” frame.

I guess you could say I tried them all… any new-fangled diet out there, I’ve tried it. I’d do great in the beginning, following the program (food or exercise, or both) and lose weight, sometimes the 20 out of 30 lbs I needed to - whatever it may be. Then, I’d start getting compliments, feeling better but at the same time also got tired of paying for the weigh-in visits or THEIR food, etc… So, I’d say hey I can do this myself and would stop all together... and you guessed it: I had learned NOTHING during this experience along the way and ended up gaining it all back + 10 lbs!! So again, I felt like a failure and hesitated to try again, for a long time. So the yo-yo dieting continued for years… never EVER reaching my final goal and eventually, putting it all back on until I was now about 60 lbs overweight.

Last year on 5-17-11, my husband’s co-worker was told by his Dr that he HAD no choice but to lose weight or his health is in jeopardy and he suggested MyFitnessPal. Joe showed me the iPhone app and was excited to try it. Of course, isn’t that the day I just had lots of Chinese food for lunch!! You can all imagine that was fun to add up!! LOL :smile: Talk about rude awakenings! That is when I said well, here goes: it’s NOW OR NEVER!!

Who knew how much that day would change my life?? My friend Naomi and her husband Ken decided to join MFP about 4 or 5 days later, so we all did this together. In the beginning, weight loss was steady and about 2 lbs a week but it did slow down. I had my good & bad weeks but tried to stay positive throughout, even through the plateaus. I dined at restaurants less and tried to find healthy alternatives to the foods I loved. And, I always tried to fit in any strong cravings that I had like lobster, ice cream and fried clams! It’s all about variety to me and not getting bored. I have also come to like running & exercising especially the way I feel afterwards and the results it’s given me. BTW: they have all met their goals and I am so proud of them! :bigsmile:

According to the healthy side of the BMI chart, I do still have about 12-15 lbs or so to lose, but I’m about 7 tenths from being in the healthy range!!! My focus now will be to gain some muscle, lowering my body fat % and becoming a better runner by controlling my breathing. I recently ran my first 5K race and beat my own personal time, which to me was huge! At this time last year, I could only run literally 30 sec at a time without having to stop.

So, some of you may ask: what is different about mfp? Why do you think you’ll get to your goal and keep it off this time? You know why? Because I swear somewhere, early on I realized that I am not going to think DIET, this is my lifestyle change, a permanent one! Not a temporary program but a change for the better - for a healthier, happier ME! This is the first time I have my goal in sight and if it takes me another year I will reach it!!

And I do feel so much better – health/energy/attitude-wise and I actually look forward to clothes shopping now! I’ve dropped 5-6 pants sizes (depending on the designer). I’ve made some great friends on here and want to personally thank my bestie Naomi :happy: and ALL of you that have supported me along the way with your good advice and kind, supportive comments! It really helps to have a cheering section and you have ALL been my inspiration! I also wish all of you the best of luck in your own personal journeys… because if I can do it, YOU can do it!!! Dani :drinker:

I’ve attached some before and after photos – a work in progress:

184Start-1.jpg
152-1.jpg
138minus46-1.jpg
138aside.jpg

Replies

• megsi474
    megsi474 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    You look incredible. Enjoy your success and continuing health!
  • BeckysWellnessPlan
    Options
    Wow, what a transformation! You look wonderful! Great job!
  • NaomiWhite77
    NaomiWhite77 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    So amazingly proud of my girl!!! You look fabulous and are so commited. Love you!!!
  • connie_messina
    connie_messina Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    wow unbelievable transformation!!! its so cool to see!! good job u look amazing!!
  • manda1002
    manda1002 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    OMG you're 48??????

You look incredible!!!
  • questhaven
    questhaven Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    You look AMAZING!!!! Congratulations!! :)
  • Kenhabes
    Kenhabes Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    OMG you're 48??????

You look incredible!!!

^THIS!

Great, great, great job!
  • bmfoley
    bmfoley Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic! Congratustions to you!
  • noweightfisherj
    noweightfisherj Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Total HOT, HOT, HOT. You must be very proud of yourself. Congratulations.
  • CynGoddess
    CynGoddess Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    you look wonderful. Congrats
  • nowornever47
    Options
    So amazingly proud of my girl!!! You look fabulous and are so commited. Love you!!!

Thank you and thanks for sharing this journey and kicking my butt! Love you, girl :)
  • nowornever47
    Options
    OMG you're 48??????

You look incredible!!!

^THIS!

Great, great, great job!

Yes, I am.... and Thank you sooo much!!!! It is much appreciated :)
  • blazergrad
    blazergrad Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    That's awesome that you and your friends all decided to make a healthy change together! MFP is GREAT for having friends that can encourage and motivate you, but I can imagine it was really cool having your "in person" friends (for lack of a better phrase) going through it at the same time with you. Amazing job.... you look great!! .... CONGRATS!!!
  • Aquaduckie
    Aquaduckie Posts: 115
    Options
    I enjoyed reading your story! It sounds like we are very similar. I am also 5'2" and my start weight was 200. I'm only down 7 pounds, but like you, I'm trying to view this as a lifestyle change, not a diet. I also tried a few weight loss programs, lost weight (and a lot of money) only to gain it back plus more! I am at the beginning of my journey and even if it takes me a year to get to my goal, I am going to do it.
    Thanks for sharing your story and pictures. You look great at 138! But I know what you mean.... 136 is the cutoff I think for the healthy BMI at our height. And my goal is about 135! (I have large bones) If I get down to 130, I'll be thrilled, but I'm happy at 135 and I fit in a size 6 which is smaller than what I wore in high school, so who can complain about that?
    Congratulations on your success!
  • mom2gar
    mom2gar Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing and inspiring!
  • jackieatx
    jackieatx Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Definitely amazing. You look so much happier and you have a glow about you.
  • philOHIO
    philOHIO Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Don't let the girl fool ya... she is really 25! For the last 23 years! LOL
  • SwimTheButterfly
    SwimTheButterfly Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic. I admire you for taking photos and showing so much skin. I always hide away "the girls". Good for you!!! Continued good health to you.
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    OMG you're 48??????

You look incredible!!!

^THIS!

Great, great, great job!

Yeah, I actually scrolled back up to check that again. Then I clicked the profile to see if it was a typo. :laugh: You look awesome!
  • cali8_love
    cali8_love Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    You looK so pretty and young (:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!