Do I have a serious injury?

Options

Replies

• dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Did your foot twist inward or outward as you fell and rolled over it? At a minimum RICE...rest, ice, compression, elevate. Get an ace bandage or similar and wrap it tight, but still allowing proper blood flow. Ice pack over that. Lay back on your bed or couch with a couple cushions keeping your ankle elevated. This will help control swelling, which helps limit further soft tissue damage (from the swelling) and the residual pain of the swollen joint. Monitor the swelling.

Do a rudimentary blood flow test...pinch your big toe toenail (thumb over the toenail, fingers under the toe and squeeze) for a few seconds. When releasing the pressure your toenail will have turned white and will return back to normal color in a couple seconds with good blood flow.

If both the swelling and blood flow are good, it's most likely a sprain that will fully heal over a couple weeks. If either the swelling continues or the blood flow test doesn't work, please consult a doctor. Despite having a lot of first aid training for mountain back country travel, I'm not a doctor.
  • msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    If you are going to get it checked out, you should talk to your employer about having it done through workers' comp. Your health insurance may not cover it if they find out it should be covered by workers' comp. (I used to handle workers' comp for my company and I've seen this happen. It was a pain in the butt to get it straightened out.)

Ya since I already made an incident report tonight I will probably talk to HR about how to go about this. I feel silly being that person who has to claim workers comp, especially since it was kind of my fault for not knowing how to walk down stairs lol. But I do understand the legal implications behind it... and I might as well take advantage since I pay for it.

Great, definitely take advantage of the coverage, but you don't pay for Workers Comp coverage, your company does. It has nothing to do with the insurance you pay for. This is a seperate thing. Just fyi :-)

Oh ok.. my mistake. :)
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    A doctor might know.

I'm sure one would. Just thought I'd check the boards seeing that we've got a lot of smart people on here. Thanks for your valuable input.

:wink:

Describing an injury to an internet forum is really not an effective substitute for an examination by a medical professional, no matter how clever the posters on this site may be. Surely you realise this, so there is no need to be snippy about getting the response that one would expect.

I wasn't planning to substitute it for an examination. There's no harm in posting to get an idea of what may be ahead of you, or what to do in the meantime before you actually do see a doctor.

My fault for posting in the forums and getting "snippy" when someone provides a less-than-helpful wisecrack remark. :wink:

To everyone else who has provided me with VALUABLE GUIDANCE/ INFORMATION... THANK YOU! :flowerforyou:

It wasn't a wisecrack. It was an honest response. I think if you read the rest of the replies, you will find that the majority of posters agree with my reply.

You're welcome.
  • msliu7911
    Options
    Did your foot twist inward or outward as you fell and rolled over it? At a minimum RICE...rest, ice, compression, elevate. Get an ace bandage or similar and wrap it tight, but still allowing proper blood flow. Ice pack over that. Lay back on your bed or couch with a couple cushions keeping your ankle elevated. This will help control swelling, which helps limit further soft tissue damage (from the swelling) and the residual pain of the swollen joint. Monitor the swelling.

Do a rudimentary blood flow test...pinch your big toe toenail (thumb over the toenail, fingers under the toe and squeeze) for a few seconds. When releasing the pressure your toenail will have turned white and will return back to normal color in a couple seconds with good blood flow.

If both the swelling and blood flow are good, it's most likely a sprain that will fully heal over a couple weeks. If either the swelling continues or the blood flow test doesn't work, please consult a doctor. Despite having a lot of first aid training for mountain back country travel, I'm not a doctor.

It twisted inward. Thanks I appreciate this info.. very helpful. I can't do the toe test though cause I have purple nailpolish on. :P.. however I think the blood flow is good since the skin around changed back very quickly.
  • mibrewer413
    mibrewer413 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'm a nurse. I would go through the Workman's comp thing because you did it at work (we had a young doc fall at the hospital because the floor was slick and he broke some bones and ended up in an electric scooter for awhile, so don't feel bad you did it walking down the stairs). Needless to say, I'd have it checked out because you not only want to make sure no broken bones but you may have torn some tendons or ligaments. MRI's can see the all the damage where an xray may only pick up a broken bone but at any rate, go get it checked out!
  • MissC787
    MissC787 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    RICE

Rest
    Ice
    Compression
    Elevation

You'll be fine.

This is what I was going to say. Good luck.
  • msliu7911
    Options
    A doctor might know.

I'm sure one would. Just thought I'd check the boards seeing that we've got a lot of smart people on here. Thanks for your valuable input.

:wink:

Describing an injury to an internet forum is really not an effective substitute for an examination by a medical professional, no matter how clever the posters on this site may be. Surely you realise this, so there is no need to be snippy about getting the response that one would expect.

I wasn't planning to substitute it for an examination. There's no harm in posting to get an idea of what may be ahead of you, or what to do in the meantime before you actually do see a doctor.

My fault for posting in the forums and getting "snippy" when someone provides a less-than-helpful wisecrack remark. :wink:

To everyone else who has provided me with VALUABLE GUIDANCE/ INFORMATION... THANK YOU! :flowerforyou:

It wasn't a wisecrack. It was an honest response. I think if you read the rest of the replies, you will find that the majority of posters agree with my reply.

You're welcome.

:laugh:
  • msliu7911
    Options
    RICE

Rest
    Ice
    Compression
    Elevation

You'll be fine.

This is what I was going to say. Good luck.

Thank you!
  • Donnacoach
    Donnacoach Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    The tingly feeling could mean a fracture or break. I would Ice and elevate and try and get X-Ray done. Good luck
  • msliu7911
    Options
    I'm a nurse. I would go through the Workman's comp thing because you did it at work (we had a young doc fall at the hospital because the floor was slick and he broke some bones and ended up in an electric scooter for awhile, so don't feel bad you did it walking down the stairs). Needless to say, I'd have it checked out because you not only want to make sure no broken bones but you may have torn some tendons or ligaments. MRI's can see the all the damage where an xray may only pick up a broken bone but at any rate, go get it checked out!

When I get it checked I will see if I can request the MRI.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure some Valtrex will clear it right up.
  • Ritzbrit
    Ritzbrit Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    If anything it may just be a sprain. When I broke my foot it swelled up immediately and there was no way in hell I was walking!! Like above post! Do RICE! U might have to take it easy and not do the 5k :(
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    If it's still painful tomorrow, call HR as soon as someone's in and ask where to go for workman's comp injuries. There's likely an urgent care center that handles those sorts of things, usually walk-in, no appointment necessary.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    I'm no doctor, but I know when I broke my ankle there was *no way* I could walk. So, my guess is you didn't break anything. But is it serious? I have no idea... Good luck!

^This. If it were serious, you would definitely know. Just the fact that you have to ask tells me that you just bruised yourself up a bit.
    Not true. Bad advice.

Not necessarily. A broken toe is much different than a major joint injury, and two at that. Most people break their toes repeatedly throughout life, and it takes either a really bad break or an xray to discover that fact. However, broken heels, being so close to the Achille's tendon, much much different. PLUS the metatarsals of the foot do have a joint in the middle of them, it is pretty stationary but it can bend opposite the arch if necessary, very hard to break the bones of the feet.

Sounds to me like blunt trauma to the top of the foot and knee, and if I understand the position you explained, you overextended your leg. If the pain is in the front, like along the shin, I would fathom a possible pull, and RICE should work fine. I 100% agree to try it and see how you are doing in the morning... Give it a day or two to recover before full on using it. If you have any doubts though, go ahead and go to the doc, since it's a work injury, they should pay for the exam and such.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options

MRI seems pretty unnecessary based on your reported symptoms. Highly unlikely that workman's comp will cover one of those (they are thousands of dollars) unless you went to the hospital right away or are showing very serious symptoms that can be directly related to the fall. Even my private physician hesitated to order one for my back after repeated falls because they are so costly and time consuming, but I insisted. Just be ready to front that bill if you insist on getting one. After insurance, mine was about $1500
  • msliu7911
    Options
    I'm no doctor, but I know when I broke my ankle there was *no way* I could walk. So, my guess is you didn't break anything. But is it serious? I have no idea... Good luck!

^This. If it were serious, you would definitely know. Just the fact that you have to ask tells me that you just bruised yourself up a bit.
    Not true. Bad advice.

Not necessarily. A broken toe is much different than a major joint injury, and two at that. Most people break their toes repeatedly throughout life, and it takes either a really bad break or an xray to discover that fact. However, broken heels, being so close to the Achille's tendon, much much different. PLUS the metatarsals of the foot do have a joint in the middle of them, it is pretty stationary but it can bend opposite the arch if necessary, very hard to break the bones of the feet.

Sounds to me like blunt trauma to the top of the foot and knee, and if I understand the position you explained, you overextended your leg. If the pain is in the front, like along the shin, I would fathom a possible pull, and RICE should work fine. I 100% agree to try it and see how you are doing in the morning... Give it a day or two to recover before full on using it. If you have any doubts though, go ahead and go to the doc, since it's a work injury, they should pay for the exam and such.

Thanks for this info and that on the costliness of an MRI. Very helpful... u sound like you know a thing or two about this. :)
  • mibrewer413
    mibrewer413 Posts: 78 Member
    Options

MRI seems pretty unnecessary based on your reported symptoms. Highly unlikely that workman's comp will cover one of those (they are thousands of dollars) unless you went to the hospital right away or are showing very serious symptoms that can be directly related to the fall. Even my private physician hesitated to order one for my back after repeated falls because they are so costly and time consuming, but I insisted. Just be ready to front that bill if you insist on getting one. After insurance, mine was about $1500

Ok, maybe I should clarify: I wasn't saying go out and demand an MRI tomorrow but maybe IF the pain/swelling doesn't go away it might be something to consider. It may be nothing at all, just a sprain but I would still go get it checked out anyways just to be on the safe side.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    What a bunch of wussies in here. Rub some dirt on it and walk it off!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options

Yeah. I sprained my ankle badly several years ago and couldn't walk on it the same day. A trip to the doctor wouldn't hurt, but if you can walk on it, it's probably not broken. And, if it's just now starting to turn color, it's probably not a big deal. My sprain turned my ankle and foot monstrously purple and blue right away and there was a lot of swelling.
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    i got 3 partial ligament tears in my knees & still snowboarded down a mountain

i got a concussion, managed to get down the mountain, went out for dinner & drove myself the 3 hours home

both times people had to convince me to go to the hospital because i thought it was no big deal

just because you can walk doesn't mean you didn't do damage, see a doctor