A Problem I Never Thought I'd Have

Options
Moxie42
Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
Soooo, at the advice of MANY MFP-ers I upped my cals from 1,200 to 1,400...I also started working out daily. The problem is, by eating super-healthy, I can't seem to hit my cal goal- I have trouble even getting to 1,200 when I work out. I eat enough to stay full so it's not like I feel like I NEED anything. I've been trying to do little things, like cooking with olive oil and adding low-fat cheese to foods, to get a few extra cals here and there. But more and more I'm finding myself tempted to go get personal-sized pizzas or deli sandwiches or pasta- because I have more than enough calories to do so. However, I'm worried I will start using that as an excuse to KEEP eating those things. I know once in a while is fine...but I have this problem more days than not.

For example, today I had 8oz of yogurt for breakfast, along with 1/2 cup blueberries. I had an apple and carrots as snacks. I had a huge salad for lunch (with olives, and an olive oil vinaigrette dressing). The dinner I am planning to have (turkey meatballs with low-fat cheese and tomato sauce, along with roasted veggies and a glass of red wine) will be about 300 cals. I will still have over 400 cals left for the day and that's without exercising.

There's no way I can eat that many cals' worth of lean meat, veggies, and fruit- I'd be uncomfortably stuffed...and I really wanted to work out today. So what do I do? Accept the cal deficit? Go ahead and eat something "bad?" Or is there another option?

Replies

• ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Well, in the future with your apple and/or carrots, you could add peanut butter or hummus. That would add cals and protein. Apples or carrots with peanut butter is yummy and so is carrots with hummus.

Hmmm. Your meals sound good.

I know I can't eat a salad without some protein in it without getting hungry rather soon afterwards, even if the salad fills me up, so I'd add some chicken, tuna or beans to the salad.

Dinner sounds pretty balanced.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I honestly want to know how all these foods together still won't reach 1200 calories...I have so much trouble to stay around it without feeling hungry...:( 1 tbsp olive oil along is 125 calories.
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I would up the calorie content of some of your snacks. Change over to full fat cheese, eating a real food is better than a low fat option. Low fat cheese is usually more processed.

Is that breakfast keeping you full? It sounds like a lot of sugar! Why not try an omelet with veggies and cheese? You can have that for about 350 calories and it is really filling.

Perhaps add some more protein to your salad, like chicken or hard boiled eggs? Try to get close to your calorie goal as it will make your new way of eating more sustainable.
  • CynGoddess
    CynGoddess Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I have been having same problem and started eating smaller amounts more often and it seemed to help.
  • albayin
    Options
    and working out? wow...where does this energy come from? Now I am curious...when I am eating 1200 calories, I barely live...
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    If you add a slice of whole grain bread with a tablespoon of freshly ground nut peanut or almond butter with your breakfast you'd have half of those cals taken care of. A small handful of nuts with your snack, a string cheese, a glass of milk with protein powder and a banana in it...it wouldn't take much to add those cals in as long as you spread them out through the day. Breakfast is a great place to get a big chunk of those cals knocked out. A protein bar instead of carrots....you might be surprised how easy it is!
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    work out, have a nice scoop of ice cream and chill out
  • celticmuse
    celticmuse Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I agree with the previous suggestion to add protein to your salad. I would also suggest adding some almonds, or a couple of tablespoons of a low sugar granola to your breakfast. It adds some crunch and would make your breakfast more substantial.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    Nuts, avocado, mango, etc. From your list, it looks like you are in need of some more healthy fats and possibly protein. Fat is not the enemy! (Too much, of course, is). I agree with the poster who said go with regular cheese, too.

I often indulge in a bit of ice cream at the end of the day if I find I have calories to fill. It's a nice way to round out my day, and to be honest, knowing it's there can keep me from eating other junk during the day (like chips or cookies that don't really taste all that good, or even just the bread sitting on the counter).
  • Sugoiharris
    Sugoiharris Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    add carbs, I love oats, potatoes, brown rice, wild rice, etc. Whole grain, unprocessed grains and starches are good for you and higher in calories.
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Strange, I find it pretty simple actually, to get to even 1800-2200 calories a day without eating rubbish, and I do not know why you are following this low fat thing, as quite honestly, healthy fats are good, and you need some fat to be healthy. Just eating an avocado adds 180+ calories. Bowl of greek yoghurt with some seeds and peanut butter thrown in adds another 250-300. It might be trying to stick to low fat that is causing the issue, it is not necessary if you are eating clean, it really isn't.
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I really don't understand how it can be hard getting calories eating 'clean.' I eat a clean diet for the most part and I have trouble not going over the 2200 mark. There are plenty of healthy ways of getting more calories in. Apple and carrots as a snack? Why not add some peanut butter with the apple. Or make it a mini meal instead of a snack. You could add rice, almonds, nut butters, avocados, sweet potatoes, etc to your diet. Just bump up the size of your meals or add in extra meals.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Not a problem I can really rap my head around. I average 400 per meal including snacks with a daily total usually over 2,000. I start the day with a relatively healthy cereal or an egg sandwich. I've been trying to add fruits and veggies as snacks and even those can add 100-200 cals a day. I often eat tuna on a pita for lunch or a frozen entree (have to be careful picking ones with a good carb/protein ratio and NO PRESERVATIVES). Greek yogurt, a protein bar, a shake after workouts. Healthy dinner, balance of protein veggies and starch (yours sounds delicious) I usually get in something a little naughty too so long as it fits in calories and at least close to macros, and I'm not afraid of eating out or fast food because again it fits in cals and macros. Check out your friend's food diaries and see what they are eating. I try to avoid anything fat free or reduced fat because our bodies need good fat and when they take the fat out they put crap and additives in. I'm learning how to eat all natural but it's a process. I'm becoming a devote of "eat this, not that"
  • Cocochickdeleted
    Cocochickdeleted Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I find that there are days when I have a tough time eating all my calories, but there are other days when I don't. So maybe it will average out over time. Just make sure that you are hitting your macros most days.
  • laurenk08
    laurenk08 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem!
    I eat 1200 calories and lost 22lbs from doing that and working out 5-6 days, but now I am at a plateau and I tried upping my calories to 1400 to break it as well, and I honestly had a very hard time eating that much and I felt way too full all the time. upping my calories has not helped to break the plateau, it made me gain weight....
    Now I moved my calories back down to 1200 and started changing up my workouts more. hopefully that works!
    My advice would be to keep eating healthy, clean foods and only when your hungry. You just get a little more wiggle room then!
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Do you avoid carbs and grains every day? If you do, is it just to lose weight, or because you've made a lifetime commitment to living without grains?

Since you mention eating pizza, pasta and sandwiches, I'm guessing that you haven't sworn off these foods forever. So why not start adding them into your diet, eating the healthy versions and the reasonable portions you would eat if you were at your ideal weight and maintaining? Have a little granola or oatmeal at breakfast. Have your meatballs with a small portion of whole-wheat pasta or quinoa. Eat like the thin person you are becoming!
  • itsafrappe
    itsafrappe Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    i would definately switch from low fat to full fat cheese, milk, sout cream. anything that you would think you are doing good by getting low fat or fat free, just doesnt taste as good and leaves you craving fattier foods. also i find that i get full faster on the fregular fat stuff
  • albayin
    Options
    I actually wonder if everything is counted correctly...Didn't mean to sound harsh or bashing OP...just curious as I really have hard time to feel full with this small amount of food. I am not a big person.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Good idea about the peanut butter and hummus! When it comes to snacks, I tend to just throw stuff in a bag and I forget that things like apples can be sliced and have other things (like peanut butter) put on them, lol! Normally I would put chicken or tuna in my salad but I ran out (time to go grocery shopping) but that still only would have gotten me another 100. I guess adding bits throughout the day would be the way to go though (chicken here, peanut butter there). (BTW- I haven't made these meatballs before but if you like ground turkey I posted a recipe yesterday under "Recipes" for an "Asian Turkey Meatloaf"- it's sooooooo good and would highly recommend it. If you want I can send it to you- just send me a message on my page :)

Albayin- I used to have a have a hard time staying under 1,200 and I still have a really hard time on weekends. Even now, it's not too hard for me to hit 1,200 on days I don't work out but now I'm working out daily AND trying to hit 1,400. I think I got used to how to eat and stay under 1,200 gross (took me a few months to figure it out)...and now I'm trying to eat closer to 1,700 gross (since I usually burn at least 300 cals during a workout) so I'm like- where should I get that extra 500 from?! Btw- the yogurt I have is non-fat (110 cals) and there's not much to the fruit and veggies. The salad had 1 tbs of oil (120 cals) and the olives added up to another 100. The meatballs (based on about 6 ounces of extra-lean ground turkey) are around 300, plus 80 cals of cheese and 15 cals of sauce.
  • 388gigi
    388gigi Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    The dinner I am planning to have (turkey meatballs with low-fat cheese and tomato sauce, along with roasted veggies and a glass of red wine) will be about 300 cals.

Maybe double check/research the nutritional value/weight etc. 300 cals for all that doesn't sound right. The glass of red wine would be at least 100 on it's own wouldn't it?

I would increase the amount of protein in each meals. ie, eat more meatballs, add more protein to salad, have boiled eggs and nuts as snacks. Nuts are really good for upping your calories in a healthy way :-)