Green Tea

Options
2»

Replies

• Dannib55
    Dannib55 Posts: 50
    Options
    I like ginseng oolong loose tea from China and it is great for a morning and afternoon pick me up
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I use the Trader Joe's brand green tea. Green tea always tastes grassy to me, so I make a big 2 quart pitcher with two green tea bags and two mango tea bags. I add 1/4-1/3 cup of sugar.
  • RachFace1000
    RachFace1000 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    a cup of green tea has about 1/4th of the caffeine of a cup of coffe
  • bethmac_va
    bethmac_va Posts: 65
    Options
    I am currently using Kirkland (Costco) Ito En Matcha Blend green tea. It's wonderful!! You can also order it on Amazon. There are cold-steeped instructions on the box. Supposedly, from the research I've done, cold steeping retains more of the anti-oxidants in green tea, not to mention how quick and easy it is! The bags are nylon type mesh, making it more like loose tea. More expensive of course, but I think well worth it.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I have been working on switching from coffee to tea. Slowly!

I like green & Chai - with just a little honey for sweetness.
  • PrinnyBomb
    PrinnyBomb Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Do you mean regular green tea (bags) or proper Matcha green tea powder? Matcha is way better for you than regular green tea bags (132 times better to be precise) though it has a very unusual taste that takes some getting used to. I'd say I drink at least one cup a day and have done for about 8 months. I used to take a little bit of sweetener with it to blunt the taste but now I'm used to it and drink it without :)

If you're going for Matcha then you'll need to find a japanese store or some chinese stores carry it. It is quite expensive for a small pot but you don't use much.

If regular green tea, then Twinings do quite a nice blend, plus they do one with peppermint which is lovely :)

Debbie
  • valerie521
    valerie521 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I have a box on my desk as we speak. Typically I like "caffenated" tea more than decaf but I accidentally
    bought a box of Good Earth Decaf Green Tea (Lemongrass flavored). It is sooooo good. I love the lemon grass
    flavor and dont put anything in usually BUT if I want a little sweetness, I'll add a small amount Agave
    Nectar

YUM !!
  • Titanuim
    Titanuim Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Gunpowder loose leaf tea is fab. If you are going the teabag option I think the Lipton brand Jasmin Green Tesa is awesome. The best way is to just dip the tea rather than brew it the way you would do with traditional tea. Green tea is awesome once you get used to it - antioxidant and zero calories and is yum after a while.
  • frootcat
    frootcat Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I am currently using Kirkland (Costco) Ito En Matcha Blend green tea. It's wonderful!! You can also order it on Amazon. There are cold-steeped instructions on the box.
    Woot! Went over to Amazon and read some reviews... Definitely putting on the next Costco shopping list. Thanks!
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    Which ones are good as cold tea? I was looking at the supermarket the other day and it seems you have to brew them hot and then chill them... Are there any you can brew cold?
    I brew my tea cold. It releases less caffeine and more catechins (the good things). I do a green/oolong mix because I'd heard mixed news on which had the most benefit.
    I started out using bags- 4 Choice organic oolong and 5 World Classics Green tea and berry in a orange juice pitcher (with a lid so I could shake it a bit). Leave it overnight in the fridge and it's ready in the morning and not bitter. Decant into bottles, leaving the tea in the pitcher, then refill with more cold water and back in the fridge until tomorrow. I'd get 2-3 steeps using bags-the steeps take longer but release even less caffeine.

Now I've started using loose tea from a local tea shop- http://www.gongfu-tea.com/ (they have online ordering too). It's a little more pricey but I get more steeps before the tea is too weak. I'm trying the Green Snail Spring and Milk Oolong now. The Milk doesn't work for cold brews but it's fantastic for a hot, sweet tea.

If you have a local tea shop, check them out-you can smell and sample teas to see what you like. I've still got my bags as well-I'm not a tea snob. :) but the good quality loose leaf does make a better tea and the re-steeps make it worth the price.
  • missjewl
    missjewl Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I use Fujian chinese green tea... it's really not too bad but it is an acquired taste.