Do you really need 8 cups a day??????

Options
1235»

Replies

• AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Depends on the person. I need at LEAST two liters of water a day.
  • glittersoul
    glittersoul Posts: 671
    Options
    I live in the desert so I need way more than 8 cups a day or I can totally feel the effects of it.
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I believe that the whole 8 glasses of water thing was a sort of mistaken quote or a report but into terms that could be understood then it spiralled out of control, unfortunately I can't find a source for this. I believe they worked out that the body needs roughly 8 glasses of liquid a day to function but this can be liquid from anywhere including food so not actual glasses of water. Saying that I usually drink a lot of water anyway.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    My tattoo artist told me that he wont work on people that drink too much water because their skin in mushy. He says it's impossible to tattoo those people. It's like tattooing on a wet sponge. LOL. He said the water just seeps out of the skin. Very weird. He said he tells them to go dry up a bit and come back. LOL. Random, but funny too.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I started reading up about the required 8 cups of water a day. I have come to discover that this is not a medical or scientific theory. I know everyone with be jumping on me like gang busters, but sorry I haven't found any proof that 8 cups is the minimum amount of water a health person should consume. I do know that I drink my 8-10 cups everyday but i'm starting to wonder why? So i can go pee a lot? Some one find documentation that says other wise! Oh just a few websites!

http://www.health.harvard.edu/healthbeat/HEALTHbeat_091405.htm

http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp

http://shine.yahoo.com/summer-time-fun/do-you-really-need-8-glasses-of-water-a-day-2512002.html

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=eight-glasses-water-per-day

Actually, you would be surprised just how much you do drink in one day.

Personally, I do not log my water at all, but if I were to add up all my juice and other drinks during the day it would far exceed the 8 cups business.
  • megn430
    megn430 Posts: 6
    Options
    I find it hard to drink 8 cups of anything in a day! I just don't drink that much so then I'm forcing myself to drink just to get to that 8 cup goal!!
  • Ronngie
    Ronngie Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I know I feel so much better when I am hydrated. I drink @ least 8 cups a day & tend to drink more. I love water. I quit drinking diet soda, and limit my crystal light intake to a few times a month.
  • chattipatty2
    chattipatty2 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    See this is where I love being a male...

I go to toilet and if it is clear I am fine, if it is yellow I drink a bit more... Simple... I don't know how much I have as I just look at the colour of me pee LOL
    Women can see the colour of their pee just fine thanks!
    not as it's coming out!! LOL!!! We gotta wait, stand, turn, look and see!
  • oats4breakfast
    Options
    See this is where I love being a male...

I go to toilet and if it is clear I am fine, if it is yellow I drink a bit more... Simple... I don't know how much I have as I just look at the colour of me pee LOL
    Women can see the colour of their pee just fine thanks!
    not as it's coming out!! LOL!!! We gotta wait, stand, turn, look and see!

look up "she wee". Problem solved.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I have had kidney stones 3 times in 11 years. My urologist chewed me out big time after my first 48 hour urine test. I thought i was doing a great job hydrating (clear urine and all) and he said that my volume was only HALF of what it should have been. That explained the 14mm kidney stone that I had to have 3 surgeries in 3 weeks to resolve. He told me that for my body, I need to drink a minimum of 3L a day, and 4L + would be better.
  • Hood25
    Hood25 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I just watched Bob Green on "The Revoluton" and he asked the question of how many glasses of water we should have daily. I'm not sure where he got his information from but he said it is more like 6 8oz. glasses a day unless you are exercising and then increase it to 8 glasses. I personally don't like to pee all day but I do believe it has helped with my weight loss so I consume at least 9 glasses a day. I am my own scientific proof to myself :wink:
  • jagonthedestroyr
    jagonthedestroyr Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I saw 1 of my many Dr.s the other day and i had a bottle of water with me,he said,"why do you have that water,are you thirsty?" and i told him i was trying to lose weight and drinking like 10 bottles a day.He started laughing and said "all that happens if you drink a lot of water,is pee alot"
    I never know what to believe but, i do love water so it's not a big deal for me but, shocked that 2 Dr's can have such different opinions.

That's because many doctors don't understand body physiology at all. Most of us go through medical school memorizing, than you learn "algorithms" to practice. Seriously, this is the truth. Find a doctor that believes and knows his physiology and you'll get the best care based on scientific backing. This is how I practice. Physiology pretty much dictates how you should treat this and that without having to turn it into a guessing game. The above reader quoting the benefits on water is also correct.

Sarah is also correct, there is no "set standard" on what you should drink. Some people 5 glasses might be sufficient, while others that number must be much, much higher. What a lot of people don't understand that in medicine we are aiming for the 90% or greatest number that applies. Not all drugs work for all people, no do all people get side effects. That is because everybody's body physiology is just a bit different.
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later...
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I drink 5 lites a day...so 20 glasses of water. I feel my best when I am thoroughly hydrated. on a bad day I may get in only 13-16. through trial and error I found this works for me. some people might require less.
  • rubyjune27
    rubyjune27 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I don't believe it is necessary and that their is no reliable evidence to support the cliam. My experience is that drinking that amount of fluid on top of food and other drinks just causes me to urinate excessively . However if it 'works' for other people, and it appears to do so from the posts then they should continue. Anything that works as long as its not harmful, is a good thing. I know really excessive water intake is harmful but that is much more than 8 glasses a day.
  • 152dbs
    152dbs Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    The only 3 people in my in-laws that aren't in the medical field have said on multiple occasions that u should drink a minimum of 64oz of water...but to be sufficiently hydrated, drink ur body weight in ounces. I def need to drop weight. Weighing 195 pounds, I should drink 195 oz of water...

also heard the pound to ounce rule of thumb by others as well.