How do you clean your running shoes?

Options
lporter229
lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
Got stuck running through some serious mud muddles tonight. Usually when my shoes get wet, I just let them air dry. Just wondering if anyone puts their shoes through the washing machine? Do they hold up? Shrink? Do you put them in the dryer? What about the Superfeet inserts? Not sure I should wash those. Anyone have advice/tips?

Replies

• Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Depends on what they are made of as to how you want to wash them. I wouldn't put in the dryer though. They will air dry just fine.
    One thing that takes the green grass marks off is the magic eraser. It works great! :)
  • lporter229
    Options
    Thanks.
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    All depends on your shoes. I wear Vibrams FiveFingers, they get nasty fast (specially in wet weather). Once every few weeks, I scrub mine out w/ dish soap & a toothbrush, then soak them overnight in white vinegar. Then the next day, run them thru the wash (to remove the vinegar smell) then in front of a fan to dry. They smell clean and the odor doesn't return for a few weeks (and i wear mine everyday, all day - 3 different pairs).
  • lporter229
    Options
    They are Asics Kayanos. Pretty standard material, I think.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I don't wash mine, but I do stuff them with newspaper after a run in the rain. The newspaper sucks the moisture right out of them. Fully dry in 12 hours.
  • Sean_The_IT_Guy
    Options
    I never have expensive shoes, but when I do need to wash my sneaks, I tend to put them in the washing machine. If they are supposed to be white, but aren't any more, I'll put in a dose of bleach, as well. This will usually destroy the insoles in them, so if they are removable, take them out. If they aren't be prepared to buy a new set of insoles for them. Most insoles are held in with some kind of water soluble cheap glue, and the insole material shrinks or deforms when it gets saturated.

After that, I'll air dry them either upside down over a heat vent in the winter, or on the line hanging by the tongues in the summer.
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    i have brooks. i wash them with towels in my washing machine and then dry them in the dryer with a drying rack OR in the sun outside. they have held up very well, and didn't shrink. i leave the laces in, and they come out bright white and pretty.
  • makeitbetter
    Options
    I don't wash mine because they don't feel the same after they're washed. I suppose hand washing and air drying could work better. I alternate shoes to let them completely dry out before wearing them again.
  • LondonEliza
    LondonEliza Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    In the washing machine without the laces on a cold wash and gentle spin (I don't bother putting in washing powder)

When they come out, I stuff them with newspaper to absorb the moisture and put them on the radiators to dry (or outside in the Sunshine if it is a hot day)

I do it for my trainers, the kids school runners and my husbands trainers, haven't destroyed a pair yet :)
  • SPBROOKS68
    SPBROOKS68 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I wash mine in the washing machine on gentle and then put them in front of the refrigerator to dry. I wear Reebok leather cross training tennis shoes.
  • CapsFan17
    CapsFan17 Posts: 198
    Options
    I don't wash mine, but I do stuff them with newspaper after a run in the rain. The newspaper sucks the moisture right out of them. Fully dry in 12 hours.

^^^This^^^
    News paper works great for druing shoes. I've had some shrink in the wash and one pair just fell apart. You can also hand wash them in a sink to get the mud and stuff off then use the news paper to dry them or lay them out in the sun.
  • cmorgan35
    cmorgan35 Posts: 5
    Options
    I have washed many pairs of shoes in the washing machine and haven't had any problems yet. I find it is better to wash them with towels so they have some cushioning. I take them out and let them air dry, they look and feel good as new!
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I wash mine in the washing machine on gentle and then put them in front of the refrigerator to dry. I wear Reebok leather cross training tennis shoes.

<my emphasis>

Is this what you really meant?
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    i scrubbed my in the sink after tough mudder than took the laces out and through it all in the washer and then let them air dry -- turned out great! I wear pumas thats are super soft on top and the material didnt ruin (if they are white - and old trick is toothbrush and toothpaste - did it all the time in college)

also you can put dryer sheets in them when drying -- sucks moisture out and smells fresh!
  • phillieschic
    phillieschic Posts: 615
    Options
    My Brooks go right in the washing machine with other stuff...and then right out on the deck to air dry!

Seems like I'm always washing someone's sneakers, baseball spikes or adidas flip flops in my washing machine...LOL!
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options

Same for me. I don't like the idea of getting them wetter that they need to be and try to avoid heat because I've been told it speeds up degradation and/or reduces the "spring" of the foam layers.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Machine washing shoes destroys them... But if your running in them very much at all than you only have them for about 400-600 miles before they need to be retired
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    My Brooks cost me $150 bucks..I hand wash them with a toothbrush and cheer color gaurd...I soak the shoe strings in woolite...

I don't mess around Maaaannnn
  • peasantgirly
    peasantgirly Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I paid too much for mine (and can't afford to replace 'em!) that I don't want to risk putting them in the washer or dryer. Every few weeks (or more often if they get wet/muddy) I'll swish them around in a sinkful of warm water with baby shampoo, and put them on the porch railing to dry in the sun.

Also, I try to alternate them with a cheaper pair so that they have a chance to fully dry out after each use.
  • lporter229
    Options
    Thanks for all of the great advice. I have washed other gym shoes in the machine, just never my running shoes. I think I will just soak them and let them air dry. They are too new and expensive to risk it. I like the news paper idea. Never tried that. I will try that from now on, even when they just get wet from the rain.