Mirena IUD and weight gain?

Options
124»

Replies

• unlocke
    unlocke Posts: 149
    Options
    A co-worker had it, but had it removed because of weight gain (along with other complications). I don't know the full details, but she didn't like it.
  • onehappymomma4
    Options
    I had the Mirena for 6 months. When I first got it in I had what was expected (spotting, cramping, ect) Soon after insertion I started to gain weight. I panicked and began dieting. I was always a person who exercised but I did increase my work outs as well. While practically starving myself and working out daily I gained weight very rapidly. I gained 70 lbs in just 4 short months. YUP, you read that correctly....SEVENTY POUNDS in just FOUR MONTHS! Sick right? I had terrible mood swings but I assumed it was my brain starting to drip into some type of depression from the sudden weight gain. After 4 months my weight gain continued but much slower. It was at about 5 1/2 months that I connected the dots. I set an appt and had the IUD removed. After about 2 weeks I lost 15 lbs. The remainder of the weight has been a struggle ever since. It's a tough thing to live with and experience for a person who has always been naturally thin. It's been 4 years now. I don't recommend it to anyone but I also understand that everyone reacts differently to hormones. My best wishes to anyone daring enough to try it. I don't know much about the Paragard but I am curious because of the lack of hormones.
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Hated the Mirena, it made me moody, spotted all the time, impossible for me to lose weight, breakouts (still getting back to normal), never knew when my period was coming or was there, hair was falling out a ton too. I had it 7 months hoping each day I would wake up and feel better. It never happened. I am so glad that it is out of my system. I hate hormones, prefer the all natural way. Actually hubby is getting fixed so I can get the copper one out asap too.
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Just got my new one inserted yesterday! My periods had started to come back after almost 6 years with my old one (I don't use it for birth control since I have a tubiligation, mine is strictly to stop my period). My OB/GYN says the initial "waiting period" for things to level out should be very short for me (a couple of months at most) since it's my second one and even though I was past the 5 year mark there was still a small amount of hormones left. I look forward to not having to buy tampons again! I wish you all had the same experience with yours as I have had, when they work they are fabulous!

PS: For those complaining of pinching or experiencing spotting after sex, my OB/GYN said that can indicate it is slipping out, has changed position or that the strings are too long. So have the doctor check it's position and shorten up the strings if necessary. He also said that there is the same amount of progesterone in your blood as if you took 1 BC pill a week, so people that are very very sensitive to progesterone may have issues with it.
  • Julahoops
    Julahoops Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I got my first IUD in 2006, and my 2nd in 2011. I love it, no period since 2006 :) but I went to the doctor and now I have a ovarian cyst :s which may or may not have come from my IUD. As for the food issue. I got it put in at 245 pounds, I got down to 195 and now I am back up to 238, so I think it depends on the lady!
  • tiffjohn08
    tiffjohn08 Posts: 1
    Options
    I hate it I am always on my peroid . I have about 2 period a month that last more than 7 days. I am still on one and its been 13 days .will be taking it out when I go to the doctor. I have had it almost two years.worst thing ever.
  • RawMomma10
    RawMomma10 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have had mine for 4.5 yrs now... I have had three kids.. and I had a problem with cysts every month.... The first few months it took some getting used to my cycle changes... when they happened and irregular flow... now I have maybe one day of med flow and then light to spotting for 2 or 3 days and thats it.... I do get stomach bloat pretty easily.. but assume that is from my eating habits... I cant say that I have gained weight as I got it in when I left my ex husband and have been losing weight since then.. I have hit a few spots where nothing was happening but I would adjust my food or workout plan and carry on.... I have heard a lot of scary stories about it.... but I have not had any issues with it the whole time I have had it.... I have had a couple of cysts happen but they were small and easily bearable compared to what I was having before I got it in.
  • bparker3127
    Options
    I got my Mirena in February 2013. This was after a 18 months on Depo (the shot) during which time I was bleeding consistently for about 16 months... everyday... and gained 50 lbs. (I hated Depo) I noticed that after the initial discomfort of insertion of the IUD, I was finally able to start losing the weight that I had gained while on Depo. I love my IUD.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I am currently on my second Mirena, and I LOVE it. No side effects past the initial pain of insertion.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    double post
  • stellcorb
    stellcorb Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    No weight gain or hunger issues here and I've had it since September. I've had a little bit of bloating and cramping... but no bleeding... at all.
  • smb1186
    smb1186 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to comment that you need to do what feels right to you despite what your doctor says. I had my Mirena taken out by a NP last year after terrible side effects (weight gain, acne, severe stomach bloat), I got the usual line of "oh we have never had anyone with those side effects before...." but they were fine with taking it out for me. I went back two months later for my annual and my regular ob asked why I had gotten it out, gave her the reasons. Her response again "Oh I've never had anyone gain weight,...but you've lost 15 LB, so it must have affected you" I am so glad I listened to my body and did what I feel is right, the 15LB I gained on Mirena literally fell off as soon as it was out.
  • lthompson12566
    Options
    I gained 15 lbs in 6 months and have been at that weight for over 2 years.....I eat pretty healthy and have started exercising more and can't lose weight...I may have it removed in November so see what happens.
  • ksimmons19
    ksimmons19 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I've had the mirena for 1.5 years and lately I've been crazy nauseous, have had headaches from hell every day, sore nipples...basically feel pregnant. I felt for the strings and can't feel them. Went to carenow yesterday for a blood preg test since HPT all coming back negative... and she couldn't feel nor see the strings. Now I'm really worried. I've gained weight since I've had it in, but I gain weight and lose it all the time and I've been on bc since I was really young d/t extremely irregular and heavy periods. I'm afraid to go without bc since I obviously don't want to get pregnant but not having periods is the ISH! Now I'm afraid that if I'm not pregnant that it's up inside the uterus and I have to get it surgically removed :( eff mirena.
  • heaven2007
    Options
    I've had my Mirena IUD for almost 3 years and having it removed this week. I've been trying to lose the baby fat for 3 years and no matter what i do nothing works. I lose 5, gain 2, lose 10 gain 7, etc. I recently found out after googling and speaking with 3 different persons in the medical field including a nurse from Mirena that it does cause weight gain in some patients and while you have it it is very difficult to lose the weight. I'm glad for those of you who have not gained weight but for some of us this is a side effect. I will be glad once its gone and look forward to the weight loss because it has caused some depression and anxiety. Good luck to all :-)
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Mirena has the exact same hormone as the Depo Shot. I dare you to look up reviews on the internet on depo shot. It is horrifying what some females have gone through using depo/mirena.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Sigh. I’m reading this and feeling really sad.

I had the Mirena placed at the end of May (2 months and a week ago)… I’ve gained 10 pounds and I’m generally a mess. I’m tired, grumpy, hungry all the time and my breasts feel like they did when I was pregnant. I was doing the Dukan Diet and was on track and had lost 25 and now I’ve gained 10 back. I should’ve known better. Whenever I put any kind of hormones into my system, this is the result. I tried Depo Provera years ago and went through the same thing, even started lactating randomly (I feel like I could now actually – they are tingling).

My Doctor talked me into it because I was having problems with cysts and polyps and between cycle bleeding. She thought it would be a good solution to my other issues. Now it’s causing more and I’m trying to be patient and let my body get used to it but I seriously can’t handle this feeling out of control and destroying the weight loss I worked so hard for.

Hormonal BC is the worst thing to do for cysts. Sometimes the hormones in birth controls can actually contribute to it. Mirena has the same hormone as the depo provera. You may want to reconsider...