Text-ended

Options
TROUBLE2
TROUBLE2 Posts: 6,660
When a text-messaging distracted driver rear-ends the vehicle in front of them.
Recently demonstrated by public transit drivers in San Francisco, Texas and Boston.

just currious if anyone has ever been involved in this?

my friend called me this morning to tell me this person rear-ended him and when he got out to ask if she was ok, she was in the middle of finishing her text and told him to hold on a minute...

:noway: SERIOUSLY? has anyone been Text-ended?

I was lipstick-ended once... she had lipstick from her lip to her earlobe... :indifferent:

Replies

• CaGinger
    CaGinger Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Not as of yet thank god.... I am glad its illegal in CA now... Its just not smart.

(I know a ton of you drive and text! :noway: )
  • magichatter06
    magichatter06 Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    illegal in VA and TN too...although in VA.... you have to be pulled over for another citation before they can write you a ticket for texting while driving...

I've done it...but usually I was at a stop sign or a red light...as soon as it turned I would put it down untill the next stop....
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    guilty. :indifferent: but like magic, it's been at a redlight or stop sign.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    illegal in VA and TN too...although in VA.... you have to be pulled over for another citation before they can write you a ticket for texting while driving...

I've done it...but usually I was at a stop sign or a red light...as soon as it turned I would put it down untill the next stop....

Guy I know in VA was pulled for texting while driving. He told the officer (honestly) he was entering an address in his GPS. Cop couldn't cite him. Hell, you could probably tell them you were facebooking... which isn't "texting".

People don't pay enough attention while driving. Changing music on my iPod is terribly distracting for me. I try to keep my playlists updated to avoid issues.
  • TROUBLE2
    Options

Guy I know in VA was pulled for texting while driving. He told the officer (honestly) he was entering an address in his GPS. Cop couldn't cite him. Hell, you could probably tell them you were facebooking... which isn't "texting".

People don't pay enough attention while driving. Changing music on my iPod is terribly distracting for me. I try to keep my playlists updated to avoid issues.

so unless there is proof then they cant give you a ticket for it? is THAT so?
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options

No idea. I was debating the constitutionality of the cop demanding proof of not having sent a text. I don't think you can prove you were entering an address into a GPS.
  • TROUBLE2
    Options
    No idea. I was debating the constitutionality of the cop demanding proof of not having sent a text. I don't think you can prove you were entering an address into a GPS.

what ever happened to just driving? I mean I can understand if you got lost and youre talking on the phone but i also think that we stopped paying attention at one point in society...

I use my phone (blue tooth) while driving but I dont text A. because its illegal here I believe, but B. it takes your eyes off the road for extended periods of time. and you have to focus to text... alot of focus...

I agree I dont thnk the cops have the right to demand that you show them that you did not text...

I think if i did get caught I would just tell him I was inputing address into GPS and just go delete my texts... lol what are they gonna do take your phone from you?
  • quinnybear
    quinnybear Posts: 243
    Options
    never been text-ended but i've been racing-ended and looking-on-the-floor-in-my-backseat-for-my-cell-phone-ended. lol:noway:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    I would be more likely to rear end someone while fiddling with my iPod.
  • TROUBLE2
    Options
    I would be more likely to rear end someone while fiddling with my iPod.

HAHAHA yeah alot of people are the same way... I dont even have a working CD player in my truck so its just radio for me... and only 3 or 4 stations work lol

by the way Lauryn... YOU are looking FANTASTIC... I love the new picture... youre smoking hot girl!!! :wink: :love:
  • 1Corinthians13
    1Corinthians13 Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options

Well, technically, playing games on your phone isn't illegal while driving yet. I'm in VA and that law just came into effect.

I text. While driving with my knees. Yup.
  • magichatter06
    magichatter06 Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options

Well, technically, playing games on your phone isn't illegal while driving yet. I'm in VA and that law just came into effect.

I text. While driving with my knees. Yup.

That's talent right there:wink: haha

Virginia: Cell phone laws, legislation
    Last updated: July 5, 2009 · Print this report

Cell phone, text messaging news: A ban on text messaging became state law as of July 1, 2009. All legislation regarding handheld cell phones is dead for the year..

Current prohibitions:
    All drivers are banned from text messaging.

Drivers under the age of 18 are prohibited from using cell phones or text messaging.

School bus drivers are prohibited from using cell phones or text messaging

2009 legislation:

HB 1876: Prohibits text messaging while operating a motor vehicle. Took effect July 1. Approved by the House and Senate and signed into law by Gov. Tim Kaine on March 30.

SB 1227: Would ban drivers with provisional licenses from talking or texting on cell phones, regardless of whether a hands-free device is employed. Makes violations a primary offense. Tabled by a House subcommitee on Feb. 19 after being approved by the full Senate on Feb. 9.

SB 874 — Would require that drivers use hands-free accessories when making cell phone calls. Passed by the Senate Transportation Committee on Jan. 22, 2009, in amended form, but then defeated in the Courts of Justice on a tight vote. Incorporated SB 996.

HB 1615 — Delegate Algie Howell, D-Norfolk, has prefiled legislation to the 2009 General Assembly that would ban text messaging while driving. The ban would extend to bicycles and mopeds. Incorporated into HB 1876, above.

HB 1659 — Would prohibit use of wireless telecommunications devices while operating a motor vehicle, including bicycles and mopeds, whether handheld or not. Also from Howell. Died in committee on Feb. 10.

HB 1955: Would outlaw motorists’ use of handheld phones. Tabled in committee.

Virginia cell phone, texting legislation notes:
    Delegate John Cosgrove, R-Chesapeake, is the author of the text messaging legislation HB 1876. Fines for those who drive and text will be $20 and then $50 for subsequent offenses.

A spokesman for AAA told the Examiner that the secondary status of the new texting law — meaning police would have to have another, primary reason for pulling over drivers — makes it “tantamount to telling people you can do it.” Still, he called it a “moral victory.”

Sen. Patricia Ticer, D-Alexandria, saw her cell phone legislation clear committee on a 9-6 vote before losing in the Courts of Justice on a 7-6 vote. Ticer’s bill was combined with SB 966 from Sen. Harry B. Blevins, R-Chesapeake.

Delegate Bobby Mathieson, D-Virginia Beach, a veteran of the cell phone wars, saw his HB 1955 die in committee on Feb. 10, 2009. His past efforts included HB 904.

The 2009 Regular Session convened Jan. 14, 2009. The short session ends the next month.

The younger-driver prohibitions went into effect in 2007. The prohibitions on school bus drivers became effective July 1, 2008.

“I believe this is a common-sense restriction on those new drivers who may be tempted to pay more attention to phone calls and text messages than the road, endangering themselves and other drivers,” Gov. Tim Kaine said of the 2007 law.

Virginia’s school bus cell phone/ texting law results in a primary offense; the teen driver law is a secondary offense.
  • TROUBLE2
    Options
    WOW.. more laws that wont be enforced... they need to stop making laws and start enforcing the ones we already have... :indifferent:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

what ever happened to just driving? I mean I can understand if you got lost and youre talking on the phone but i also think that we stopped paying attention at one point in society...

I use my phone (blue tooth) while driving but I dont text A. because its illegal here I believe, but B. it takes your eyes off the road for extended periods of time. and you have to focus to text... alot of focus...

I agree I dont thnk the cops have the right to demand that you show them that you did not text...

I think if i did get caught I would just tell him I was inputing address into GPS and just go delete my texts... lol what are they gonna do take your phone from you?

Text records are public info, just like email (believe it or not, email not encrypted is PUBLIC info unless it is sent only on a private network, once it touches the internet, it's public baby!), they can request them from your carrier very easily, or the judge can force you to produce your phone, both would have records of the incident. Texting isn't protected by the privacy act, as it is transmitted over the internet in plain text, I.E. if I really wanted to, I could sniff someone's text messages and post them on the internet, all perfectly legal.
  • TROUBLE2
    Options

Text records are public info, just like email (believe it or not, email not encrypted is PUBLIC info unless it is sent only on a private network, once it touches the internet, it's public baby!), they can request them from your carrier very easily, or the judge can force you to produce your phone, both would have records of the incident. Texting isn't protected by the privacy act, as it is transmitted over the internet in plain text, I.E. if I really wanted to, I could sniff someone's text messages and post them on the internet, all perfectly legal.

at that point dont you think they have better things to spend THAT much money on? i mean really that would cost the tax payers an outrageous amount of money to go to court and fight it...