How do you log non-chain restaurant food?

Options
So I find that I pretty frequently (about 5 times a week?) at little local restaurants. There is so much great small local food where I live.

I just never know how to log it. Do I go for an ingredient breakdown? Or do I find something close in the database?

For example I went to this little taco shack with my husband for lunch and got two steak tacos. How would you log that?

Replies

• LovingLisa2012
    LovingLisa2012 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    i try to find something that is really close
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Find the closest thing that is listed.
  • OccupyFitness
    OccupyFitness Posts: 147
    Options
    I wish I could make a note right in the title of the food so I could have it in my diary more accurately.

Thanks for the responses!
  • Gymboreee
    Gymboreee Posts: 23
    Options
    Just estimate, If you eat at the same place and same meals frequently, you can add your own custom meals also
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I don't eat anywhere that provides nutritional info (not a requirement in Aust, although places like McDonalds provide it, but I don't eat that kind of food) so I just pick something close enough from the database.
    Everything we log is an estimate anyway, so I don't get too worried about it.
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I almost exclusively eat out at local restaurants. For something like tacos it might be easier to break it down since toppings can vary so much. However, usually I just find something I think is comparable in the database. I wish more people would care about supporting small local businesses. :happy:
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    I usually try and break it down and eyeball the amounts of things. I don't eat out often enough for it to make a huge difference if its a bit wrong anyway. If you do it often, I would try overestimate as much as possible so you don't screw yourself over.
  • ChristiH4000
    ChristiH4000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I try to estimate the calories and find a close description in the same ballpark for calories. Also, if there is a chain version of the food, try to find that in the database. It's like thinking inside the box when we normally are outsiders.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    If they post their nutritional information, add it to the database yourself -- otherwise look for something close.
  • shady1987dre
    shady1987dre Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Just use the items labeled "Generic".
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    If you know all the ingredients, build the recipe in to your personal database, especially if it's a meal you have frequently.
  • yuliyax
    yuliyax Posts: 288
    Options
    I try to choose low calorie options:
    I would never have anything fried/deep fried but I would never order a salad which I can make at home.
    I also ask for sauses to be on the side.
    and I quick add calories e.g. 3 course meal -1500 (500 calories per course)
  • DPernet
    DPernet Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I search the database for something close or I enter it in by ingredient. Although, to be honest, eating out went out of the window when I started my diet
  • kim_mc
    kim_mc Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I think I'm getting werid from being on MFP. Sometimes I just won't eat something if I don't know the numbers. Or else I obsess over it all day long thinking that the meal could've been way worse than I thought.
    IDK, sometimes I just pick things that I think are close but there are so many things that shouldn't be that bad for you and then I find out the actual content and it's horrible. It's hard, but if we try to eat out less and less, when we do eat out and it's over your cals, it shouldn't make that much of a difference......
  • kdkeys14
    kdkeys14 Posts: 16
    Options
    I have also become pretty strict on the places I eat, if it doesn't have nutrutional value then I won't eat or go to the restaurant. I don't want to risk guessing and blowing all the hard work I put in. I research before I go out and log before I actually eat out. I try to eat at home mostly because I feel more in control/
  • chellebelle315
    Options
    This is an "It depends. One day a week, I just don't care. I pay attention to what I'm eating, and pick the most similar choices fromt he database. When in doubt I estimate high.

During the rest of the week I'm more conscious of individual ingredients and amounts, then I tend to build my own recipes, or at least list individual ingredients for the stuff I know is going to be higher calorie. I'm at a stage where I'd rather overestimate how many calories I'm eating than underestimate, but I have a significant amount of weight to lose.

Mostly, I'd decide how you're going to do it and be consistent, then don't stress too much.
  • nickyrobinson
    nickyrobinson Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    It is always worth asking if they have nutritional info. I have found that a lot of restaurants do have it, they just don't post it.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I choose the closest thing. Generic searches help too. I choose the highest calorie option that seems reasonable.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I try to go for ingrediant break-down - laborious but then I feel I've logged it more accurately. I also tend to over estimate rather than under as I would only be letting myself down!
    Generally though, I much prefer eating at restaurants with calorie counts as it takes away the stress of the above! xx