does anyone here have hypothyroidism?

Options
2»

Replies

• ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    I am really discouraged tonight, folks. Since being diagnosed and starting the medicagtion, I have been slowly gaining. I count calories religiously and get up at 4:30 every morning to guarantee I have time to work out at least 45 minutes every day. Up until about a year ago, I was losing slowly but steadily. I don't know what else to do or change. It's extremely frustrating to work so hard and not even maintain, but GAIN. I had gone from a size 22-24 to a 10-12. I refuse to buy those larger sizes again, but I don't know what else I can be doing! Any advice?

Bluroses,

I am begging you Step Away From The Scale!

My experience.

I was diagnosed with Graves Disease and went on PTU for about a year. I started walking on the treadmill and got up to 1.5 hours per day burning around 400 cals. I decided to get radiation after the medicine caused problems with my liver. After my radiation treatment. I got on the scale and found out I wasn't losing. Then I started getting dizzy spells. Instead of just slowing down, I stopped walking all together. I gained over 50 pounds in a short period of time.

Whatever you do don't stop exercising. Eat at least your BMR and your 50% of your exercising calories until you get your levels right (This is totally my opinion but it has worked for me).
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Options
    I am really discouraged tonight, folks. Since being diagnosed and starting the medicagtion, I have been slowly gaining. I count calories religiously and get up at 4:30 every morning to guarantee I have time to work out at least 45 minutes every day. Up until about a year ago, I was losing slowly but steadily. I don't know what else to do or change. It's extremely frustrating to work so hard and not even maintain, but GAIN. I had gone from a size 22-24 to a 10-12. I refuse to buy those larger sizes again, but I don't know what else I can be doing! Any advice?

How long ago did you start your medication? It can take awhile for your body to adjust to the new medication and the hormones.

If it's been more than 6 weeks, maybe you should go back to your doctor or get a second opinion. You might want to have them test your TSH again.
  • jtintx
    jtintx Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I was just diagnosed with this two days ago and will start my medication tomorrow morning. My DH just picked up my Rx for me. The only other med I'm on is BC and I take it first thing in the morning. I asked DH to ask the pharmacist if it was ok to take the meds together and he said no. But I've been looking online and can find nothing to indicate that you can't take Levothyroxine and BC pills at the same time. Those of you who are on it, what does your dr. or pharmacist say?

Thanks.
  • Sarandipity
    Options
    I was just diagnosed with this two days ago and will start my medication tomorrow morning. My DH just picked up my Rx for me. The only other med I'm on is BC and I take it first thing in the morning. I asked DH to ask the pharmacist if it was ok to take the meds together and he said no. But I've been looking online and can find nothing to indicate that you can't take Levothyroxine and BC pills at the same time. Those of you who are on it, what does your dr. or pharmacist say?

Thanks.

I talked to my dr about this when I went off bc.. Apparenlty the bc in your blood can bind with receptors that will also bind with the medication. Basically if you are on bc while they are figuring out your dose you are fine. If you go off the BC you may have to have your dose increased. It is fine to take them together, I did for years.

Edited to note that you do have to wait 30-60 mins after taking your thyroid meds before you can take your bc...
  • bluroses
    bluroses Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I had read - and my dr agreed - that you should wait 4 hours to take BC and other pills after taking the hypothyroid medicine in order to give it a chance to be fully absorbed into your blood with no interference. It would actually make my life easier if I *could* take them together, but for now, I just have an alarm set to go off 4 hours after I take the Synthroid to remind me of the BC and vitamins.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I have it. I was diagnosed with it about 10 years ago.

Yep, it's a lot harder to lose weight but it can be done.

And losing weight/getting fit doesn't help your hypothyroidism, either (not like it would cholesterol, high blood pressure, etc). You will be taking medicine for it for the rest of your life (which isn't so bad but I had a hard time accepting that when I was first diagnosed).

Good luck to you! Feel free to PM me at anytime :smile:

I am no longer on medications from any doctor. I stopped taking them and I am now taking natural supplements to boost the function of thyroid, adrenals, pituititary, hypothalmus glands. I no longer go to a main stream doctor either.

I see a combination of a naturopath and a natural pharmacist to get my health back on track without taking medications that are chemical concoctions of synthetic hormones, which are foreign to the body.
  • nursegirl79
    nursegirl79 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I had read - and my dr agreed - that you should wait 4 hours to take BC and other pills after taking the hypothyroid medicine in order to give it a chance to be fully absorbed into your blood with no interference. It would actually make my life easier if I *could* take them together, but for now, I just have an alarm set to go off 4 hours after I take the Synthroid to remind me of the BC and vitamins.

I take my BC at night before I go to bed. I have a water bottle next to my bed and take my synthroid as soon as my alarm clock goes off. This way I know there will be at least 1 hour before I eat my breakfast. Maybe you could try that instead of having to remember to take more pills 4 hours later.