Sometimes I wonder if this is worth it.......

Options
I have been trying not to get on the scale because it just discourages me. Well, today I did it.......and I was UP 2 LBS!! I spent an hour on the treadmill last night, drank my water. I am not good at logging food but I didn't think I have been overdoing it.

Replies

• lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I know how discouraging it can be when you're working hard and not seeing results. Honestly, though, it doesn't matter if you "think" you've been making good eating choices, it matters if you ARE. Start logging your food and then ask for suggestions in a couple of weeks.
  • jgthomas78
    jgthomas78 Posts: 81
    Options
    You need to log your food just to have a reality check. I didn't think I was overdoing it on some meals, but then when I logged it I couldn't believe how many calories my meal was. Little things add up too. Don't be discouraged until you are logging and doing your exercising and see how it goes.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Well if you're not logging your food, you have no way to be sure.
  • Sayne
    Sayne Posts: 23
    Options
    just that you are conscious of your activity and intake is so much better than not caring. who cares what the scales say? moving your body and thinking about your health are what its all about.
  • SorchaRavenlock
    SorchaRavenlock Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Take measurements. Sometimes what we don't lose in pounds, we do lose in inches, especially when exercising a lot.
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Take measurements. Sometimes what we don't lose in pounds, we do lose in inches, especially when exercising a lot.
    This is a good point!
  • BazAbroad
    BazAbroad Posts: 248
    Options
    better to log the food and get the odd tickle, than not do it and get a slap on the scales,
    take it on the chin, and bounce back,
    keep at it, you can do it. :wink:
  • hishappy
    hishappy Posts: 11
    Options
    exactly as muscle weighs more than fat
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    You must log your food, every single tiny mouthful. Weigh it too, where you can.
  • jodibrox
    jodibrox Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone! That is exactly what I needed to hear! I also changed my goal from aiming towards1000 calorie deficit every day to aiming towards 500 calorie deficit in a day. Hopefully it will just be more realistic (slow, but realistic). AND......I have logged my calories for today!!

Thanks again for the motivation!
  • lesle1
    lesle1 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    It's worth it. Treadmill didn't work for me years ago. I lost a little weight but gained it back. For me the main thing was exercising at least an hour a day.
  • sharlowbrla
    sharlowbrla Posts: 54
    Options
    Logging food has accountability built into it as well as giving you an exact picture of calories in and calories out. I think twice about what I eat because I know it is visible to others. Many benefits to logging.
  • stephanie1133
    stephanie1133 Posts: 211
    Options
    I counted cals then stopped and when I started again I can't tell you how much more consistently I'm losing weight. And now I KNOW if the scale goes up not to sweat it because I can count on the fact that it must be water weight since I am certain my intake is in deficit.

Also I agree on the measurements. In April I lost 8.4 pounds, which is GREAT, but it isn't like mind blowing. But I lost 37 inches total! Which totally DID blow my mind!
  • cherrybomb_77
    cherrybomb_77 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    People are notoriously bad at correctly estimating their caloric intake. You really need to log, you're probably taking in significantly more calories than you think you are! But two pounds is not much, and if you get back on track, it should come off quickly. Hang in there!