Survey: Scheduled rest days

Options
victoria4321
victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
Do you always rest on the same days?

I try to have Sunday and Wednesday as a rest day usually. Funny thing though is I always want to work out those days anyway

Replies

• runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Sunday is my rest day. Others just come up if I'm genuinely too busy. I force myself not to do anything on a Sunday.
  • Perfectdiamonds1
    Perfectdiamonds1 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Yes, I rested yesterday because the day before I think I did too much. Trying to work out a regular schedule for myself. Thinking Curves on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. Walking on Monday, Wednesday and Friday with a rest day on Sunday. Just start MFP about a month ago and dont want to do too much. How many rest days should be allowed, one or two?
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Yes, I rested yesterday because the day before I think I did too much. Trying to work out a regular schedule for myself. Thinking Curves on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. Walking on Monday, Wednesday and Friday with a rest day on Sunday. Just start MFP about a month ago and dont want to do too much. How many rest days should be allowed, one or two?

Totally up to the individual. I find I can't guarantee I can work out every day, so I like having one day where I HAVE to rest and trying to work out every other day, but with the knowledge that I won't feel guilty if I have to take a second rest day in the same week if life gets on top of me.
  • victoria4321
    Options
    I think its whatever you feel your body needs. I know some people rest one day and some rest three days. I'd try to work out a minimum 3-4 days a week if its all you have time for.

Initially I was doing one rest day but I was getting really tired from it I think.
  • cherrieruns
    cherrieruns Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    my rest day tends to be the day before my long run. Other 'rest' days would be if I am sore I will go for a walk rather than a more intense workout. It is all about listening to your body and doing what it tells you to.
  • AmyM713
    AmyM713 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Fridays and Sundays. Unless I miss a workout during the week due to schedule conflicts then I work out on one of my normal rest days.
  • katedesaccord
    Options
    I'm doing Turbo Jam and the scheduled rest days are Saturday and Sunday. But I usually take walks on those days anyway. Nothing too long or intense, just something leisurely.
  • Flissbo
    Flissbo Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I would also like to know what actually counts as a rest day? Is it doing no exercise at all? Or is it a break from strength. I am doing ripped in 30, killer buns and thighs and I also swim a few times a week. Would the swimming count as a rest day or should I have 1 day a week where I do nothing at all?
  • victoria4321
    Options
    I would also like to know what actually counts as a rest day? Is it doing no exercise at all? Or is it a break from strength. I am doing ripped in 30, killer buns and thighs and I also swim a few times a week. Would the swimming count as a rest day or should I have 1 day a week where I do nothing at all?

I count no exercise except for maybe stretching and walking as a rest day.

I'd rather work out every day but I dont wanna get burnt out or injured. Not too sure if theres actually a risk but I want to be safe than sorry.
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    I just rest when my body says rest. I used to have a certain day, and then something would happen that another day would get interrupted and I wouldn't be able to workout, so I just started playing it by ear. If I feel well enough and have the opportunity, I workout. That sometimes leads me to working out for 10 or 12 days straight and then taking a 2 or 3 day break. Just whatever. Even on a rest day, I may take a stroll with the kids-but I don't push and walk as fast as when I'm logging it.
  • ChassityGetsFit
    ChassityGetsFit Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I rest on Sundays and sometimes on Saturdays as well. The only reason that is though is because I work out at the YMCA because they have childcare included and the childcare center isn't open Saturday afternoons or at all on Sundays! If I really want to then sometimes I take my kids for a walk on the weekend days, but I don't go as hard as I do during the week! :)
  • muppetsbear
    muppetsbear Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Friday for sure and after pushing myself into injury a few times I rest any time I start to have a great deal of discomfort or pain. Particularly in a major joint (hip, knee) or my right shoulder (collarbone ectomy last spring)
  • victoria4321
    Options
    I rest on Sundays and sometimes on Saturdays as well. The only reason that is though is because I work out at the YMCA because they have childcare included and the childcare center isn't open Saturday afternoons or at all on Sundays! If I really want to then sometimes I take my kids for a walk on the weekend days, but I don't go as hard as I do during the week! :)

I never knew that. I never see kids at my ymca on the weekends and always wondered why lol.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I try to make Monday a rest day usually- the gym is always PACKED with everyone starting their week out healthy or restarting their diets or whatever, so I try to avoid the Monday rush. But I listen to my body...today was supposed to be a gym day, but I could tell I needed rest, so I just walked today. Unfortunately, this may force me to go to the gym on this coming Monday! :grumble:
  • zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options
    Mondays and Saturdays. That said, I do something active on a Saturday, but Mondays are insane at work and I usually end up on the couch crashed once I make it home.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Do you always rest on the same days?

I try to have Sunday and Wednesday as a rest day usually. Funny thing though is I always want to work out those days anyway

I never schedule a rest day. I schedule "active rest" days that may include some lighter weight olympic lift, some light ab work, and cardio. If I have a rest day it's because something came up and I couldn't get to the gym at all or I didn't get enough sleep the night before for whatever reason.