How much harder is a full marathon compared to a half?

Options

Replies

• JTH11706
    JTH11706 Posts: 2,947 Member
    Options
    bump ... great info here
  • GaryRussell123456
    GaryRussell123456 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I know it's irrational. I'm not trying to say you shouldn't do it, I admire anyone who does.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

It seems like doing a full takes the fun out of it. It's more serious. Halfs are kind of easy. I think the full is 26.2 for a reason. That is a very difficult length. It wasn't an accident that they picked that distance. It's very difficult, from what I hear. If it was 20, anyone vcould do it. It's the extra 6.2 that makes it a different thing entirely.

Depends upon what you consider fun. I thoroughly enjoyed the training required for my first marathon. It was hard, yet very rewarding. I did wait until I had been running for about 6 years before I decided to do it, so having that base established was a really big help.

As for the race being 26.2 miles, here is an interesting tidbit that I read in Running Times. The Olympic distance for the marathon was 25 miles prior to 1908 in London. For that Olympiad, the race was increased to 26.2 miles so that the finish line would be in front of the Royal's box in the stadium. So, it is that distance for a reason, just maybe not entirely because of the difficulty. :)

Ha, ha. That's awesome. I love trivia like that.

You're running mag is wrong. I just looked it up, because I always thought it was based on the Greeks and Pheidippides, and how far he ran (before he died). The distance has changed a lot since 1896, but didn't become 26.2mi til 1924.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marathon

My dear friend, if you would actually read under the "Distance" section from the link you posted, you'll see that is supports exactly what I regurgitated from memory. Reading. It's fundamental. :)

ETA: Here is the link to the article if you are interested in determining the accuracy of their article compared to the community populated data on Wikipedia. :wink:

http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=26027
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options

It seems like doing a full takes the fun out of it. It's more serious. Halfs are kind of easy. I think the full is 26.2 for a reason. That is a very difficult length. It wasn't an accident that they picked that distance. It's very difficult, from what I hear. If it was 20, anyone vcould do it. It's the extra 6.2 that makes it a different thing entirely.

Depends upon what you consider fun. I thoroughly enjoyed the training required for my first marathon. It was hard, yet very rewarding. I did wait until I had been running for about 6 years before I decided to do it, so having that base established was a really big help.

As for the race being 26.2 miles, here is an interesting tidbit that I read in Running Times. The Olympic distance for the marathon was 25 miles prior to 1908 in London. For that Olympiad, the race was increased to 26.2 miles so that the finish line would be in front of the Royal's box in the stadium. So, it is that distance for a reason, just maybe not entirely because of the difficulty. :)

Ha, ha. That's awesome. I love trivia like that.

You're running mag is wrong. I just looked it up, because I always thought it was based on the Greeks and Pheidippides, and how far he ran (before he died). The distance has changed a lot since 1896, but didn't become 26.2mi til 1924.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marathon

My dear friend, if you would actually read under the "Distance" section from the link you posted, you'll see that is supports exactly what I regurgitated from memory. Reading. It's fundamental. :)

The Wikipedia on this is really interesting. I did not know that a marathon actually doesn't have a max distance. 26.2 is the minimum, but it could go much further if they want. LOL. Ouch. I never heard of that, but it is interesting. That would suck if you didn't realize that a certina marathong was actually 35 miles. LOL.
  • CarsonRuns
    Options

The Wikipedia on this is really interesting. I did not know that a marathon actually doesn't have a max distance. 26.2 is the minimum, but it could go much further if they want. LOL. Ouch. I never heard of that, but it is interesting. That would suck if you didn't realize that a certina marathong was actually 35 miles. LOL.

Any certified course is going to measure longer than the race distance (thank God not by 10 miles, though!) because the certification process actually builds in extra distance to allow for error. For instance, the certified HM course I ran on Saturday measured 13.18 miles on my Garmin and I heard others report as long as 13.22. There is also the fact that the measurements take place along the shortest possible distance a runner could travel along the course, cutting off all tangents, even measure across a sidewalk on a turn even though the course is on the road.
  • teacherkatz
    teacherkatz Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    bump to read later
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    I am loving this thread and all the wonderful responses!!

Just keeping it bumped up.

Thanks!
  • Ten10
    Ten10 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • thebiggreenmachine
    thebiggreenmachine Posts: 66 Member
    Options

Any certified course is going to measure longer than the race distance (thank God not by 10 miles, though!) because the certification process actually builds in extra distance to allow for error. For instance, the certified HM course I ran on Saturday measured 13.18 miles on my Garmin and I heard others report as long as 13.22. There is also the fact that the measurements take place along the shortest possible distance a runner could travel along the course, cutting off all tangents, even measure across a sidewalk on a turn even though the course is on the road.

They add .1% to the length of the course (1 meter for every 1K) after they measure it, called the 'short course prevention factor'. They measure about 1 foot from the curb and use the shortest route possible, but they don't measure across the sidewalk if the course is on the road. The route is measured on a bicycle using a jones counter.

For those with some time on their hands, here's the certification process: http://www.usatf.org/events/courses/certification/manual/
  • CarsonRuns
    Options

They add .1% to the length of the course (1 meter for every 1K) after they measure it, called the 'short course prevention factor'. They measure about 1 foot from the curb and use the shortest route possible, but they don't measure across the sidewalk if the course is on the road. The route is measured on a bicycle using a jones counter.

For those with some time on their hands, here's the certification process: http://www.usatf.org/events/courses/certification/manual/

I read, on another message board from a someone who does certification, the part about going across the sidewalk . I don't remember the details exactly, he was discussing a course that he had just measured. Maybe it has do do whether spectators will be allowed in that area? Totally speculating on that. I'll see if I can follow up with him about that. This was probably 3 or more years ago.
  • dbharmoneous
    dbharmoneous Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    That is on my bucket list too! I just finished my 5th half Marathon, the Windermere here in good old Spokane Washington, making my goal of under 2 hours, 1:59. I turn "50" in October and I have always wanted to do at least one Full Marathon. I know it will be grueling, have had many friends who have done it. One of my older friends/mentor was 65 when he did the Paris Marathon and he ran the whole way and I have always said I have to do it, so this is the year! I know I would regret not trying. : /
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    bump
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    They measure about 1 foot from the curb and use the shortest route possible, but they don't measure across the sidewalk if the course is on the road. The route is measured on a bicycle using a jones counter.

this

Basically unless you are alone on the course and have free reign to run whatever tangent you want (which does not happen in most races) and you are smart enough do to it, you will run longer than the race distance. thems the breaks.
  • RNmomto4
    RNmomto4 Posts: 143
    Options
    No input to add from a half or FM point of view....

However, I just did my first 10k and fell in love...just registered for my first half marathon. I can currently jog/run the entire 10k without stopping and felt great when I crossed the finish line...so I know I can easily prepare for the half marathon.

I would love to do a full marathon, but definitely want to see how the half goes and then do some more runs in the next few years.

Good luck!

Any runners out there feel free to add me :)
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I was considering trying a full when that poor woman died in the London 2012 marathon. Now I'm too scared.

You probably shouldn't drive, go outside, eat, or anything then. People die from that stuff too

How many people died from inactivity? The VAST majority of fit people who have died during any sporting event have underlying, previously undiagnosed heart issues. Correlation ≠ causation. Running is not what killed them, a heart defect is what killed nearly every person who has died during a marathon (or any other running event).
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    They measure about 1 foot from the curb and use the shortest route possible, but they don't measure across the sidewalk if the course is on the road. The route is measured on a bicycle using a jones counter.

this

Basically unless you are alone on the course and have free reign to run whatever tangent you want (which does not happen in most races) and you are smart enough do to it, you will run longer than the race distance. thems the breaks.

Unfortunately, there are a LOT of idiots who will go after RDs when their Garmins read long and accuse the RD of mis-measuring the course. This does happen sometimes, but it's highly unlikely on a certified course.
  • shuzluvr13
    shuzluvr13 Posts: 2
    Options
    I just finished my first half ever a couple of weeks ago and I loved it! Well, I loved it a day or two after the race was over and I wasn't so sore I could barely walk, lol. I had originally thought that next year's goal would be a full. But once I finished that half-uhh no freaking way. I couldn't run another mile if you held a gun to my head-granted the finish line was uphill, my ipod died at mile 7, and there was 94% humidity and no wind....

My goal this year was to run a half, and now I just registered for my second. The distance works for me, and my body-I truly don't know if my body would support/tolerate a half. And the time that you have to put in for the mileage? It's too much for me. I have a friend who can knock out fulls like it's no big deal-I admire her for that because I know I can't!
  • Carebear530
    Carebear530 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    A full is so much more than two halfs. Halfs are fun. Fulls push your body to it's limits but give you a huge sense of acconplishment. Most people don'tunderstand until they have done it. Imagine running 20 miles & then feeling like the last 6.2 miles are all up hill. Your body aches. That being said if you want to do it go for it! Just don't do it until you are ready to do the training. It takes a lot of time. If you can train with a friend. I'm doing my 3rd full this weekend & just hope to finish. Lol. I've done two halfs in two days & it doesn't come close to a full.
  • perfect10isha
    perfect10isha Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Everyone else has pretty much said what I would have said. For me the hardest thing was the psychological aspect. After being out there for a few hours I started to lose my mental resolve to finish. At about mile 16 or so I was ready to throw in the towel. I tried calling someone to come pick me up so I wouldn't have to finish. Luckily I never got a hold of anyone and walked for a good 2 miles before I was able to get past my mental roadblock of finishing those last few miles. I ended up sprinting the rest of the race to the finish line because mentally I was done and just wanted to be finished as quickly as possible. I finished the marathon in a little over five and a half hours ( almost 6). I know if I hadn't hit that mental roadblock I probably could have finished closer to 5 hours, but in the end I felt accomplished because I finished. I trained about 6 months, and had worked up from 5 mile runs to two 18 mile runs.