Hemingway

Options
the_journeyman
the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
Anybody read his stuff? We're stopping in Key West on a cruise and stopping at his house/museum since we've got a Hemingway cat named Pablo.

I just finished "For Whom the Bell Tolls" and it was a pretty nice story. It was fiction but closer to historical fiction I guess, but the story was good. It was wordy because he was a drinker and you could tell when he 'was a bit under the table, he would ramble off into the characters head and thoughts.

Any body have anything to add? Anything else recommend to read by him? I wanted to read at least one of his books, but wouldn't mind a couple others since I liked the first one I read.

JM

Replies

• ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    My favorite piece of literature is by Ernest Hemingway.

"For Sale: Baby's Shoes, Never Worn."

That's it. Six words. It's poetic. It's beautiful. And it has infinite interpretations.

I actually carry a moleskin journal with a collection of six-word masterpieces that both I and others have created. If you'd like to add to my collection, feel free to send me a private message. Maybe I'll share some of the collection sometime.
    -wtk
  • Nerple
    Nerple Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I read a lot of his works around senior year of high school but not much since, but he's still one of my favorites.
  • ket_the_jet
    Options
    If you are just looking for suggested readings, his three classics are The Old Man and the Sea, A Farewell to Arms, and For Whom the Bell Tolls.

But I'd also recommend The Sun Also Rises, The Garden of Eden, 88 Poems, In Our Time, The Snows of Kilimanjaro and Other Stories, and any of his miscellaneous poetry.
    -wtk
  • the_journeyman
    Options
    Thanks! I do want to check out a couple other selections before we go. I'll look into some of his short stories too.

JM
  • Allie_71
    Allie_71 Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    I agree with the short stories. They're little gems that you want to stop and think about when you're finished. Then re-read them with equal joy. Brilliant.
  • the_journeyman
    Options
    It was interesting at the end of "For Whom the Bell Tolls" you were able to draw a couple or three conclusions of your own as to what happened.

JM
  • ket_the_jet
    Options
    It was interesting at the end of "For Whom the Bell Tolls" you were able to draw a couple or three conclusions of your own as to what happened.
    Well thanks for the spoiler alert! [Just kidding].
    -wtk