Insanity Weight Gain

Options
brushe
brushe Posts: 181 Member
Has anyone experienced weight gain while doing Insanity program? I'm 3 weeks in and up 6lbs since the start. I know, I know the scale isn't the tell all about fitness achievement, but I just find it hard that I'm not shedding pounds while still keeping the same net calories (1900-2200) per day that I was before I started the program. Previously I have completed p90x and 30DS. I'd appreciate any feedback or personal experiences you are willing to share. Thanks

Replies

• mcleodconnor
    Options
    When I did this a couple years ago I went from 190-205 but that was on purpose for football. If you are trying to lose weight and you aren't, I guess you are eating too many calories :/
  • navyw1fe
    navyw1fe Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Try eatting 200 calories above your BMR and dont eat your exercise calories back for a few days and see if that works..if it doesnt maybe your mucles are holding onto water to repair its self so bump up your water!
  • susana67
    susana67 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    i think the extra weight gain is muscle. I do circuits every day and found at the start I was either putting on weight on not loosing it and my trainer said I am actually building up the muscle tissue. then after 2 months the weight started to fall so i think the same willh happen to you in time. As long as you are absolutely sure you are not eating more than your recommended calorie intake!!!
  • aggiesrar05
    aggiesrar05 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Water weight. Take measurements and pictures. Especially with programs like insanity.

For a 34yo Male I seriously doubt netting 1900-2200 cal is eating too much, may be too little. Check out your BRM and TDEE.
  • Teeteetare
    Teeteetare Posts: 50
    Options
    The same thing was happening to my husband when he was doing it. I think it is muscle gain. I have done it twice and have gained so much muscle from it. I would be surprised if you were actually gaining fat.
  • jennieodwyer
    jennieodwyer Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    It happened to me when I did Insanity. I think it was water retention but it eventually leveled out and the week after I finished it I saw a nice drop.
  • brushe
    Options
    Try eatting 200 calories above your BMR and dont eat your exercise calories back for a few days and see if that works..if it doesnt maybe your mucles are holding onto water to repair its self so bump up your water!

BMR is about 1930 TDEE is approx 2100. With what I burn on most days with the program, I'd be netting about 1000-1200 if I didn't eat my exercise calories back.
  • brushe
    Options
    Water weight. Take measurements and pictures. Especially with programs like insanity.

For a 34yo Male I seriously doubt netting 1900-2200 cal is eating too much, may be too little. Check out your BRM and TDEE.

Thanks for the tip.
    Katch-McArdle BMR 1931
    TDEE 2,317

I have taken two measurements at the start and 2 weeks into the program. I will continue to meaure every two weeks and I'm taking pictures as well at 2 week intervals.
  • aggiesrar05
    aggiesrar05 Posts: 335 Member
    Options

Thanks for the tip.
    Katch-McArdle BMR 1931
    TDEE 2,317

I have taken two measurements at the start and 2 weeks into the program. I will continue to meaure every two weeks and I'm taking pictures as well at 2 week intervals.

Looks like you're headed the right direction! Great Job!

I understand though, I started CrossFit and GAINED WEIGHT. Frankly it pissed me off. Then I got obsessive with weighing myself and the scale was up and down and up and down and sideways. That pissed me off more. My coach told me throw away the scale and take measurements and pictures.
  • CALake
    CALake Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I had similar issues with Insanity. While I liked the program, and it was challenging, I didn't lose weight and actually felt like I lost muscle. I'm back to P90X now. Could just be different strategies and workouts work for different people and body types. I would see it through to the end and see what your results are.
  • JBurger2066
    JBurger2066 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I gained at first as well. But by the 5th week I had dropped about 9 pounds. Stick with it and eat right, the program works really well. I've had a lot of friends that experienced the weight gain at first, but then it drops. Give it a few more weeks.
  • lisabisa12
    lisabisa12 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    We're in the same boat. I'm finishing week 3 and am up 2 pounds. I've been so diligent about putting my meals into MFP and staying in my calorie range so I was extremely disappointed when the scale moved up. I'm trying not to think about it. Some say it's normal and the scale will drop in a few weeks. Good luck!

I just noticed this is from a few weeks ago. Any progress?
  • brushe
    Options
    We're in the same boat. I'm finishing week 3 and am up 2 pounds. I've been so diligent about putting my meals into MFP and staying in my calorie range so I was extremely disappointed when the scale moved up. I'm trying not to think about it. Some say it's normal and the scale will drop in a few weeks. Good luck!

I just noticed this is from a few weeks ago. Any progress?

still holding about 4-6lbs heavier than when I started. started at 198. Weighed in this morning at 204
  • atabeira70
    Options
    Hi. Now that you mention it, I would like to share my experience. I am on the first to second week of the second month and I have actually gained weight, and I have a big gut in my stomach... Could I still be retaining water? I stopped for about 4 days while on the recovery week, and then got back on track and I thought that might have made me retain more water.

I give it my all when I train and its really frustrating, because I noticed my body changed for good on the first 4 weeks. I noticed it leaner, and now, starting the second week of the second month I see a big gut in my stomach and overall I feel I have gained weight. Although, I have to say I do feel faster and stronger.... Its really frustrating though.