Replies

• LadyKatieBug
    LadyKatieBug Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    exersize is exersize I log it
  • cmp04d
    cmp04d Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I go to Disney World several times a year, and I always log the walking. I know by the end of the day, my legs and feet are always tired. I also eat back the exercise calories from the walking, and haven't put on any extra weight on a trip there yet :)
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I would totally log it as walking 2 mph for 3 hours. You're moving and using your body. Not sitting at home on your butt. It's outside of your normal daily activities. Log it!
  • lururu
    lururu Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    You aren't just walking though, you will be pushing a pram with a child in it. There is an option to log walking while pushing a pram, you can find it by typing in 'pushing/pulling stroller with child'.

Definately log it, its exercise. Just because you aren't sweating in jogging bottoms on a bit of expensive gym equipment doesn't mean your body isn't working :D

But, most importantly of all, have a brilliant time!!!!!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I would log it (and have done so in the past in similar situations). If it's walking that I would not have done through out my regular day I log...however I keep it on the conservative side. Like 2 hours at a slow pace.
  • valerie521
    valerie521 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I would bring me pedometer and monitor steps .... I am going to disney for
    a week in july - In Florida heat nonetheless... So I will bring my pedometer

Steps is steps Baby !
  • rockinright
    rockinright Posts: 241
    Options
    It's a LOT more walking that most of us usually do, so log it.

It's hard to determine how much it really works out to, since some of it is standing in line, etc though.

Considering how my feet ache after going to a park, why NOT count it?
  • fitnhealthykaren
    Options
    I don't usually log anything besides my actual exercise. I don't even log when I hurry through a shopping mall and I know that gets my heart rate up (LOL). BUT, when I go to Disneyland all day long for 4 days this summer, I will certainly log a portion of that because I know we will be doing some fast walking and several hours of it, which is not typical for me in a normal day.

So, yes, log some of it at least and HAVE FUN! If you can wear a pedometer, do it, then you will actually see how much walking you've done!
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Its all effort so log it.

Do you owe yourself a treat, or does the food in these places not really appeal to you?
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I say log it. Whether or not you stop and go, you'll be on your feet and moving for an extended period of time. The only thing I would adjust is the amount of time spent walking to account for the stopping. A pedometer would be great!
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Holy crap, the people who don't log this because it isn't "really working" are fools. Go sit on your butt, then go walk. Your HR shows a pretty significant change. (My resting HR is something like 70-75, if I am up and moving around the house and then taking 5 minute sits because I am doing something on computer, my HR is like 90-100 depending on how quick I am moving. HUGE difference in caloric burn.)

Some seriously bad logic on this site sometimes.

Oh and LOL at not eating them back. Maybe not go crazy, but one of the early replies said not to eat them back unless you're trying to maintain, serious lack of understanding in that statement. I just wouldn't be AS concerned about eating a little heavier that day. No reason to not fuel your body.

Agree 100%
    In this case, also, not sure which Busch Gardens you're going to, but the one in Virginia has a few hills that you may be walking up/down (if I remember right, it's been a number of years since I've been there).
  • ZombieSlayer
    ZombieSlayer Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I disagree, as well. That's tons of walking! And you do need more calories when you're walking that much and in the sun. Going to a theme park is always great exercise... and walking is an exercise. .

This! You burn A LOT of extra calories walking vs. sitting or standing, even at a slow pace. Fuel Your Body!
  • WildFlower7
    WildFlower7 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I personally don't log anything but what's truly exercise. You are going to be stopping and going all through out the day. Your heart rate is not going to be consistently elevated like it is when you exercise.

This ^
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    We are going to busch gardens today, it is a large park over 100 acres, we are going for 6 hours,.what if anything would you.log? Will be pushing my 2yo in stroller too. Was thinking of logging 2.5 hours walking
    at slow pace. Does this seem ok?

I think that sounds about right if this amount of walking is out of the ordinary. I tend not to log stuff like that since it's so rare, even though it certainly is outside my "sedentary lifestyle". But I don't see anything wrong with logging it. It's just my preference. I'm not a real strict logger.
  • BuckeyeLife
    BuckeyeLife Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I personally don't log anything but what's truly exercise. You are going to be stopping and going all through out the day. Your heart rate is not going to be consistently elevated like it is when you exercise.

This ^

Go wear a HRM and do start/stop walking. I bet your mind will get BLOWN at how wrong you are. If you are EXTREMELY healthy you may only see a slight variation.
  • nicolio8699
    nicolio8699 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    i absolutely log days like that, girl! anything more than my average activity gets logged bc i do burn more calories than that which was calculated when i started. i don't usually put the full amount of time, or the proper speed, but a lower speed and a smaller amount of time to make up for stopping and waiting in line:) this seems to make sense for me and i always see results;)
  • vision2012
    vision2012 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    i disagree with others. you probably don't walk this much in a typical day so why not count it? maybe count it as walking slow pace like 2.0 mph.

I agree, you should log it
  • Ashleyned
    Ashleyned Posts: 1
    Options
    I generally log everything I do such as cleaning, walking and etc. as well as everything I eat. For something like a walk in the park I will defiantly log it but a walk in the mall i wouldn't. For Mothers Day we took the kids to the zoo, a big park and a picnic. I logged the walking during the zoo. Because I've noticed every since Ive been working out I don't walk like I use to, its more of a fast pace like when I'm walking a mile. So why wouldn't you want to log that? Even if you are a person who is active ALL day and that walk doesn't do much, it will keep you from going over on your calories especially if you are trying to maintain or lose wight?
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    i disagree with others. you probably don't walk this much in a typical day so why not count it? maybe count it as walking slow pace like 2.0 mph.

This^^

Whenever we go on vacation and I do more walking than a typical day, I will wear my pedometer and use the milage at 2.0 mph to figure out the "time" I walked, then put that in. We've logged as much as 9 miles in one day walking around the Disneyland parks and resorts. Definitely more walking than I typically do! :smile:
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Typically you don't see any caloric burn from doing moderate intensity activities like walking unless you've been keeping a consistent pace for 20 minutes or more (to keep your HR up). Given how often you'll be stopping, I'd say you won't be doing that, so it's not worth logging.