How to change how you view yourself

Options
I have lost 80lbs over the last year and a half and still going.. I am toning now and still losing with the program im doing. People nowadays are calling me 'skinny mini' and telling me not to lose too much more weight. I look in the mirror daily or look down at myself and still see myself as big. I know I am looking not too bad and my clothes is much much smaller (from size18/20 to size 10). I feel better in general and my confidence level has rose significantly. BUT How do I change my view of myself when i still see myself as fat?

Replies

• KiwiKim25
    KiwiKim25 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    This is something I have run into and decided one day to change. It took much much more than a day to ACTUALLY change it tho! This is what I call "Fat Complex". And here is my personal experience:

No matter what size you are, you see yourself as fat, even after losing a significant amount of weight and being healthy again! An unfortunate part of this is that you hate yourself in the mirror. I went about a year without looking at myself in the mirror other than just my face if I had to.

It finally hit my one day how bad this mind set is! Whether I was at a good weight or bad one I still hated myself, and that's no way to live. So I decided to change my baseline behavior. (easier said than done!) If I looked in the mirror I had to acknowledge one good thing I saw before criticizing anything. Get a few pairs of super nice underwear. I know it's stupid but knowing you're wearing nice stuff hidden from view gives you a little boost in your head which really does change how you look.

Positive thoughts first before negative. It was really really hard at first, but my mind is much more at ease now. Sure, some days I am not happy with the way I look, but most days I look at myself and say "I like it." It can always be better and I'm happy to keep working at it, but if I was like this forever I'd be ok.

Now that I'm finally ok with myself (mentally healthy), I'm concentrating on getting physically healthy. Being "prettier" is a bonus, not what I let myself concentrate on. It's just not good for your mental health to concentrate on the negative.

Easy to say, hard to enforce, but well worth it. :)
  • missjewl
    missjewl Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your insight.... i guess just giving it a try wont hurt!
  • ShemikaPerry
    Options
    Im having the same problem. I haven't loss as much weight as you but im alot smaller than i use to be but when i look in the mirror, i see no difference. Everyone else sees the difference and i know im smaller because my clothes are much looser but still...i feel like i have a long way to go when in reality, i dont...sigh...
  • KiwiKim25
    KiwiKim25 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I guess a less long-winded way to say what I was thinking is; you put so much work into losing the weight (and did an AMAZING JOB!), now it's time to put the work into your mindset. Wont be easy, just like losing the weight wasn't, but definitely worth it!

And don't forget, its okay to enjoy knowing how freakin awesome you are for the success you've made so far!! Regardless of if you feel there is more weight to lose or not.