Sore knees

Options
Anyone have some suggestions to help with killer sore knees?
I just started interval training and my knees are super killing me. Mostly where whatever connects to the bottom of the knee cap in the front, and they also hurt on the inner knee too.

Replies

• kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,648 Member
    Options
    Anyone have some suggestions to help with killer sore knees?
    I just started interval training and my knees are super killing me. Mostly where whatever connects to the bottom of the knee cap in the front, and they also hurt on the inner knee too.

Have you tried the spandex "braces".... I used to wear those back in the day (hurt my left knee playing softball when I was a teen).... I haven't really had trouble with it in a while.... BUT the spandex gave it just the right amount of support...
    Good luck!
  • joj7bat
    joj7bat Posts: 30
    Options
    No, I haven't tried them, but I'm willing to try anything to help! Thanks so much for the suggestion:flowerforyou:
  • margaretthedevil
    Options
    I would get it checked out it if the pain doesn't go away. You might want to avoid exercises that tax your knees for a while. Swimming is one of the very best exercises that works the whole body and your knees will thank you! Or try an elliptical machine. It's like swimming on the ground.
  • kankan213
    kankan213 Posts: 105
    Options
    Knees are VERY important.

I do not like the idea of using braces and such because they can cause your joints to become dependent on them. Try doing weight-training to strengthen your leg muscles, a lot of the time people hurt themselves doing aerobic/cardio exercises, they could have avoided if they had stronger muscle groups to support their bodies.

I agree though, if it gets worse see a doc!
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're doing each exercise properly in your routine. If you're running/walking make sure your stride is correct and you have good form. If you're on a bike make sure it's adjusted correctly for you.

If you go to a gym- snag someone who works there to watch you for a minute and see if they can spot any issues in form/weight/etc.

I hope your pain goes away soon!:flowerforyou:
  • kankan213
    kankan213 Posts: 105
    Options
    Gemiwing is right- also, bad shoes can cause knee problems!
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of severe knee problems even after surgeries and stuff. If you knee hurts that much, I would go see someone. To strengthen them before doing high impact exercises I do lunges, squats and ride bike. I would not go with the knee braces unless recommended by a Dr or PT. It can cause more problems than it can solve. I tore a ligament using the wrong type of knee brace recovering from surgery.

Make sure you have appropriate shoes that account for arches and pronation levels. Make sure to do strength training. To deal with the pain, take IB profin or tylenol. Rest, and light stretching can help too. Yoga has been a saving grace to get me back to running again. If your hamstrings are tight they can cause a lot of problems for the rest of your legs. Even though your knees are where the pain is, it may not be the route of the problem.

Recently I read an article in Runners World that talked about not only should we be concerned with what we wear on our feet during exercise but all the other times too. Wearing flip flops, for example, can cause several leg problems.
  • kshiz
    kshiz Posts: 24
    Options
    I just read your problem....I have sore knees too. I am going to have this checked out tomorrow at an Orthopedic Dr. I am listening to my body at the moment, and it is shouting that something is wrong. I would definitely not try and mask the pain with a brace, you might have torn or injured something. It is a real bummer to have sore knees.
  • nickiebb
    nickiebb Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I broke my right patella about ten years ago. The only way my knee does not hurt is if I keep the muscles surrounding my knees (quads) really strong. To do that, I do lunges, walking lunges, and bike ride. However, I also really mix up my workouts. I do a little of everything: elliptical, swimming, running, biking, hiking. However, everyone that mentioned seeing a doctor is absolutely right! You may need physical therapy. This is actually a really good thing because you'll learn exactly how to strengthen your legs to help protect your knees better! :smile:

Nickie

216974.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary