bmr and daily calorie needs.

Options
I have just worked out using an internet site that in order for me to maintain my current weight i need eat 2800 calories a day. I am trying to lose weight. but keep getting confused with if i need to eat more or less calories. At the moment i am eating around 1400 a day (sometimes less) . I do the 30 day shred daily and some days i walk or do wii zumba as well. I find that on nights where i have a treat (chocolate or a take away for example) i always have a good loss the next day. Would you say i need to up my calories? I have around 40/50 lbs to lose. Any help?

Replies

• littleblonde200
    Options
    Can no one help?
  • littleblonde200
    Options
    Just to add i used the chocolate and take away as an example. I don't have those often
  • Josteyn
    Josteyn Posts: 44
    Options
    What do you want to know?

What weight are you, what weight do you want to be, what's your height and BMI, etc...?

If you want to lose weight, then eat less, and do more. 500 calories less will lose a pound a week, and exercising up to 500 calories off a day will up that to 2 pounds a week, as long as you don't 'eat back' the calories.

I've done that for 135 days, and lost 30 pounds.
  • sfoster3171982
    sfoster3171982 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    If your still losing I wouldn't touch your intake but definitely eat the calories mfp tell you because if I am too low in my calories for the day I will see a gain on the scale which is frustration of course but the moment you start to see a plateau you would want to up you calories just a little (100 or 200).
  • hwillia1
    hwillia1 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I also do the 30 day shred 6 days a week and have started couch to 5k 2 weeks ago. I eat around 1400 calories also and when I do have a treat it doesn't seem to affect my weight loss but I'm not sure if it helps the weight loss. Maybe try eating 1600 calories a day, and see if this has an effect on your weight loss. Good luck.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're not eating enough but you need to do the maths yourself. There's a whole group on here called eating more to weigh less, and you'll find all the information you need right there.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less

Good luck!
  • Shayztar
    Shayztar Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Search the group "Eat More to Weight Less" and read the stickies. Then do what's best for you. I never eat less than my BMR and I try to eat back all of my exercise calories. I don't adopt the full methodology of the group, but I agree with everything they suggest. I will eat like that when I get closer to goal weight.

Good luck.
  • Josteyn
    Josteyn Posts: 44
    Options
    If you are eating a balanced diet, with lots of fruit and veg, then you don't need to worry about 'eating back' the exercise calories. Starvation mode is a myth. As long as you are giving your body what it needs to be healthy, then the calories (as long as you don't go below half your BMR) can go down below the magic 1200.

But a better way is to cut the calories by 500 a day AND exercise another 500 off. Then you lose the fat more quickly, you don't lose muscle tone and you don't get the saggy skin and listlessness.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I have just worked out using an internet site that in order for me to maintain my current weight i need eat 2800 calories a day. I am trying to lose weight. but keep getting confused with if i need to eat more or less calories. At the moment i am eating around 1400 a day (sometimes less) .

50% is quite a large calorie restriction, you will still lose weight eating 500 calories a day more - providing the 2800 is accurate.