12 mile run with pulled groin - ok or rest?

Options
I pulled a groin about two weeks ago, unsure how. I have continued my runs and training for a half marathon in two weeks. Tomorrow should be a 12-mile run; however, each time I run, the pain returns and I have trouble for the next 24-48 hours. Would it be better to skip my long run and rest tomorrow so that I can heal some before the race?

Replies

• Ritzbrit
    Ritzbrit Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I'd take the time to rest and trying icing it and stretching. You wouldn't want to injury yourself anymore.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    When is the race? Does the injury get worse when you run or does it just hurt for a couple days and then go away?

I'm inclined to say rest it, hit it with ice 3 to 4 times per day for 20 minutes each and maybe go with a double dose of Ibuprofen 3x a day for a few days to see if you can make any improvements. My daughter had a pulled groin from field hockey last year and it impacted her the entire season and never fully healed until she rested it.
  • RobynDCrossman
    Options
    Rest. Heat and Ice.
    Do a short day tomorrow, if you feel you need it (I'm sure you'll feel that you need it. I know I always do.)
  • militarydreams
    militarydreams Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Go easy dude, rest.
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    So, so sorry. Been there too. Unfortunately, that's one you have got to rest. It does not get better. Eevry other running injury I ever had I could just "run it out" and continue training through the pain until it healed. That one, definitely not. It just kept getting worse, even as I got slower and slower. Best to rest it at least 2 - 3 weeks. I know, EEK! That sounds impossible. I did that in February, and then ran a 10K cold (no training for 4 weeks beforehand) and not only did I feel great, I ran it at a much better time than when I was trying to run through the injury.

Mine was actually torn though, not just pulled. If you can walk without feeling like you need to drag your leg behind you, then I would just walk. No running.

If it's really pulled or especially torn, ignore the people who say heat, please, please, please ignore them. that causes swelling and pain. Ice if you can do it, rest, and elevation (which is difficult). I slept with a pillow elevating my hips.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    If your activity aggrivates your injury and renders you unable to continue that activity you need to let it heal. Otherwise the best you can hope for is that it won't hurt longer than it did last time, but more likely you'll end up hurting yourself to the point that you can do some serious damage and knock yourself out for a long time. I have a friend who kept running on an groin injury and ended up in physical therapy and out for 6 months, he pushed it too early and after 6 weeks had to go out again for 9 months.
  • dixiech1ck
    dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Uh.. that's a no brainer. Rest.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    yes rest and heal!!!
  • jfinnivan
    jfinnivan Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I just had an MRI and found out there is a 5mm tear on my adductor longus tendon, which is one of the groin muscles. I get the pain if I try to run. Doctor said not to aggravate it, lest the tear gets worse....
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Ouch!!!

I think you should rest AND make an appt to see a dr.

If you are aggravating it by training, then obviously it's not getting any better. Not sure about you, but THAT kind of pain in my groin is not something I enjoy or look forward to.

Good Luck! :flowerforyou:
  • jasharp021
    jasharp021 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I would rest. Most training plans only have you train up to 10 miles so chances are you've already met that point. If you continue to run you risk hurting yourself more and that's the last thing you want to do as you get closer to your race. Now is the time to listen to your body. Take some time off and then when you feel better, resume the training. I know people say to not make up the run but I know for me, I wanted to get one good long one in before my race so even though I was suppose to run 6 or something, I did my longer run.

You are already physically able to run the 13.1 :)

Have a great run!
  • grubester
    grubester Posts: 8
    Options
    Rest. No question. I'm a triathlete who continued to work out with an irritated rotator cuff and because I tried to "push through it" I am now on mandated rest for 4-6 weeks. Here's my advice, which is basically what I just got from my doctor.

RICE:
    - Rest - enough said
    - Ice - 15 mins on, 2 hours off
    - Compression - use an ace compression bandage in the affected area if possible/practical. Helps reduce swelling
    - Elevation - as practical (sleep on a pillow under your rear)

I'm also taking 800mg of ibuprofen 3 times a day. If you've done consistent training, you won't miss the 12 mile run that much on race day. If you've gotten up to training runs of 70% of your race distance, adrenaline will carry you through.
  • Eleisabelle
    Eleisabelle Posts: 365
    Options
    What's the longest distance you've done up until now? If you can make 11 miles, you can make the half. Take a week to rest and then do light runs the following week to see if it gets better. Maybe see if you can schedule some time with a really good sports massage therapist to help stretch it out safely and comfortably.

If you keep running on an injury, you could tear something vital, make the strain chronic, and/or weaken the muscles and tendons involved. Better to see if you can defer the race than set yourself up for a future of not being able to run at all!

The poster above me has it right. RICE and give yourself a break. I'm running a half in two days after being on two weeks rest for a shin splint, and I know I'll still make it. But I'm glad I took the break, even if I know I won't be setting any PR.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Rest, give it time to heal and the worst case scenario you miss your race (there's always another) or keep running and perhaps end up with a worse injury and an extended involuntary vacation from running (I missed 6 weeks last fall with an IT band issue - it was no fun at all.....)
  • idohills
    idohills Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Missing the race isn't really an option for me. I have health problems, which have prevented me from completing training for and running in two previous half marathons. This will be my first and I am not willing to give up being so close now. I am willing to cut back, rest, and even run cold if need be. I have run up to 11 miles so I am confident that I can handle the 13.1. Really, I just wanted as much training as possible so I could give my very best effort on race day. That being said, I would rather finish than hurt myself pushing too hard. I have been doing ice and ibuprofen 3xday. Yes, my doctor said rest but I don't really like to listen to doctors. ;) That's why I asked, hoping for experience from other runners and athletes also. I will take tomorrow off and see how I feel early next week. Thanks for all the feedback: it is appreciated.