Help w/ Weird Pain/Popping...

Options
Whenever I do exercises that require me to lay on my back on the floor, raise my legs and lower them for lower abdominal work outs, or even bicycles, I have this really weird and slightly uncomfortable sorta-popping sensation in my hips. I've tried to read up on it, and it sounds like it may be my IT band? I'm not sure.

Anyone have any ideas? And how can I get it to stop? I have no idea how to stretch that part out. It was there even during my ballet career. Never really hindered me from doing movements (standing) as long as it's not a lower abdominal exercises with legs off the floor.

Replies

• creature275
    creature275 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I have torn both of my IT Bands at some point or another, in fact im just now getting over my left ITB tear but normally an ITB will show symptoms on the outside of the knee, your ITB does run from your hip down the outter side of your leg and past the knee into the lower leg, take care of it before it gets injured, my knees permanantly pop now and I have to take special care of my ITB's now. I would suggest getting a foam roller and rolling your ITB's also I have found that doing IT band stretches helps me alot too. hit me up for more info or questions ive been dealing with IT Bands for a while now
  • fairestthings
    fairestthings Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I have torn both of my IT Bands at some point or another, in fact im just now getting over my left ITB tear but normally an ITB will show symptoms on the outside of the knee, your ITB does run from your hip down the outter side of your leg and past the knee into the lower leg, take care of it before it gets injured, my knees permanantly pop now and I have to take special care of my ITB's now. I would suggest getting a foam roller and rolling your ITB's also I have found that doing IT band stretches helps me alot too. hit me up for more info or questions ive been dealing with IT Bands for a while now

My knees have also had issues, due to dance being really strenuous on them and then trying to start running. I basically cannot run on anything but a treadmill and only for 3 miles maximum because my knees just Do Not Like It.

For the foam roller, for the hip area (and it's definitely the hip bone that gets the popping/weird sensation) how would i use the roller to help? I have heard of exercises for the knee area of the IT band, but not yet for hips
  • Benson19
    Benson19 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    If you were a ballet dancer for a long time then your ligaments that support your joints are most likely stretched out. Which is what gives ballet dancers more flexibility. The problem with over stretching ligaments is that ligaments are what hold your bones together at joints. So when they are stretched out they don't hold your joint as well and are slightly unstable. Ballet dancers are trained to hold there legs and hips usually rotated outward. Although are body adapts to postures we put it in, we aren't fully designed to be in that posture. Your hip joint is a ball and socket joint. Imagine making a fist and cupping your other hand over top. So if your supporting structures around this joint are not holding that ball into the socket it can pop out a bit. The popping you feel could be from the joint itself or from a muscle or tendon in the area running over bone and being plucked like you would a guitar string.

I don't know exactly what you feel and would have to do an assessment to figure it out. Which requires a in person thing. So if you can go see a Physio therapist or Athletic therapist do it. They can tell you exactly what it is if it is really bothering you. You just have a imbalance going on. Just need to figure out what it is :)
  • Benson19
    Benson19 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    put roller on ground and put the side of your leg on it. Your going to have to do a side plank kinda of pose. Then basically pull and push your body back and forth so the roller glides up and down the leg. It is suppose to loosen up the IT band and release any trigger points or adhesions. Beware this can be sensitive and painful.

You can also take a rolling pin and roll it up and down your thigh (sides, front and back)
  • fairestthings
    Options
    The popping you feel could be from the joint itself or from a muscle or tendon in the area running over bone and being plucked like you would a guitar string.

That's exactly how it feels!

Thanks, I may have to go to the doctor and ask for a referral to see someone. Like I said, it doesn't really change my life or anything. My hips never feel tight, I still have maintained good flexibility but those stinkin' ab sets really are just awkward to do!
  • fairestthings
    Options
    put roller on ground and put the side of your leg on it. Your going to have to do a side plank kinda of pose. Then basically pull and push your body back and forth so the roller glides up and down the leg. It is suppose to loosen up the IT band and release any trigger points or adhesions. Beware this can be sensitive and painful.

You can also take a rolling pin and roll it up and down your thigh (sides, front and back)

Thank you! I have like 3 rolling pins. I need to go do that.
  • creature275
    creature275 Posts: 348 Member
    Options

^^ yes the first time I used a foam roller on my ITB it made me shake from the pain but I just kept going and it paid off a lot in the end, your IT Band syndrom is actually very common especially for runners, if you take care of it then it wont hold you back I can run marathons and squat hundreds of pounds and my ITB doesnt get in the way