Protein Shakes

Options
I was wondering for the people that drink protein shakes, do you make it with water or milk?
I used to drink a cup of whey vanilla with skim milk for my breakfast and sometimes my lunch too.
Its just a question I always wondered.
Thanks!
=]

Replies

• thriftycupl
    thriftycupl Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I buy the premade shakes, no mixing with water or any kind of milk. I've found one that goes down pretty easily, has 30g of protein and tastes similar to chocolate milk without any aftertaste.
  • stephanie1133
    stephanie1133 Posts: 211
    Options
    I do it with water unless I'm going for a full meal replacement, then I'll go with milk for the added calories.

I also find it much less expensive to mix my own with powder than to buy the premade kind. There are usually many less added ingredients in the powders than the premade kind also, well, depending on the brand. Just my preference.
  • meliibabii87
    Options
    The only reason I like the powder shakes is because I dont have to drink them unless I make it, and I know what I am putting in it. But maybe one day I will buy one just to try it out, especially days I dont feel like like eating a meal for breakfast or lunch.

Thank you guys!

=]
  • Anke861
    Anke861 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    i use half milk half water :) with vanilla powder and some berries if i have any! :)
  • Jade1964
    Jade1964 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I use almond milk, the no sugar added kind!
  • M77308
    M77308 Posts: 183
    Options
    I use vanilla almond milk. The flavor is great and really it's not that many additional calories.
  • KeepGoingRhonda
    KeepGoingRhonda Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I buy premade.
  • SierraElegance
    SierraElegance Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I mix it with almond milk and water, and use the lowest calorie almond milk. I also check the ingredients on protein powders because they are not all the same! I find the least amount of sugars and carbs. Most of them are made with artificial sweeteners, but there are a couple brands that are better. I just bought Sun Warrior yesterday, sweetened with stevia-- so I haven't tried it yet. I also got samples of About Time which is one of the simplest ones out there with healthy ingredients. No soy!!!! You can look up try about time dot com for free samples, which is what I did-- just haven't had a chance to try them yet.
  • RobynDCrossman
    Options
    I use water.
  • sullykat
    sullykat Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Just an FYI if you buy the GNC ones (the only one I drink regularly). The Total Lean ready to drink ones taste delicious! Also, the powdered version has more carbs and sugar, less protein… by a relatively huge amount. I asked them about it in store and they said the American version of the powder might be better than the Canadian one… not sure where you're from.
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I prefer them with soy milk, but I never have time to do all that mixing, so I just use water.
  • zerapha
    zerapha Posts: 18
    Options
    Milk generally, but tried it with water today to cut calories. Tastes good! :)
  • natacha305
    natacha305 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I drink Body by Vi shake mix.

When i first got it i mixed it with 4 oz whole milk (because thats all i had) and 4 oz water. 165 cals

now I mix with 8 oz Almond Milk Vanilla Flavor (unsweetend) and I add water also. 125 cals

I dont always need to add water but I do it because it makes more of the shake and my Stomach feel more full.

I am sure If i just add the almond milk It will be the same but I do it anyways its like a routing.

Ive never just added water, but i may try it. either way with half milk and half water or all milk the shakes taste awesome and keep me full, super full I dont even think about food.

EDIT: yea it is based on soy and I have no problem with that. also has artificial sweeteners so whats it to ya?
  • Juliet_622
    Juliet_622 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I use 1% milk. Tastes okay with water, but tastes great with milk. Plus the milk has additional protein in it, so why not?
  • DrG3n3
    DrG3n3 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    i use half milk half water :) with vanilla powder and some berries if i have any! :)

I do the exact same thing. Half milk, half water, and some berries if I have em at hand. Peanut butter sometimes, and occasionally something like vanilla extract or some other flavoring depending on what I want. I have also added cottage cheese a few times. And I have added greek yogurt as well.
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    When I make a protein shake, I make it really special... I only occasionally have just protein+liquid. When I do, I will vary it: milk, almond milk, water, or coffee.

usually, though, my protein shakes have:

berries
    protein powder
    Greek yogurt
    milk (whatever kind I have-soy, almond, or sometimes cow's)
    chia seeds
    spinach
    avocado
    guar gum
    water

and a mix in like crunched animal crackers, graham crackers, or smart cookies (my daughter saves them from school and brings them to me since she doesn't care for them). lol

They range from 600-900 calories depending on how big I make it, how hard I worked out, what kind of milk is used etc.
  • th83
    th83 Posts: 3
    Options
    I use unsweetend almond milk. Its only 35 calories per serving!!
  • itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    If I'm just doing it for the protein (ie, after a workout when I know there'll be a meal later on) I do it with water. If it's more of a meal replacement (ie, after a morning workout when I might not be able to grab a real breakfast) I'll do it with milk.
  • jallen1955
    jallen1955 Posts: 121
    Options
    I use water, I don't do dairy at all.
  • GenieBeanieChiliBeanie
    GenieBeanieChiliBeanie Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Vanilla unsweetened almond milk, Beverly International Cookies & Cream Ultimate Muscle Protein, ice- Awesome!!!