When did exercise become fun for you?

Options
I noticed the other day that I was enjoying myself as I was walking along, sweat running down my back, barely able to talk because of the pace I was keeping up. Never before would exercise have been something I would have thought I would enjoy, it had always been a chore, and something to suffer through.

I am just wondering how long it took (or if it even has happened) for others that exercise was something they looked forward to rather than something to be dreaded?

Replies

• yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    8 months in, i found myself awake at 6:30 on a Saturday morning, bouncing out of bed to put on my new running shoes and a cute new running outfit I had gotten the day before. I grabbed my water bottle, freshly charged iPod with a badass playlist and hit the shoreline runway to run to the Verrazano bridge before Brooklyn woke up.

It was the most amazing, beautiful, sexy strong morning for me and I crave it always now.
  • yarmiah
    yarmiah Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I don't remember when or how it happened, but OH YEAH . . . it happened. lol

I started going to the gym over my lunch hour 3 days a week knowing it was good for me

Then I continued going to the gym(5 days a week over lunch hour) because it became a habit.

Now, I LOVE working out- espeically with my trainer, doing TRX and Body Attack Classes.
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    It wasn't until I started doing strictly weightlifting, that I started to enjoy exercising. So for almost 2 months now.
  • Grandysl
    Grandysl Posts: 189
    Options
    Not sure if it is fun, but I look forward to it. Today I have not worked out yet becasue I had a father daughter event at her school. I normally workout first thing in the am and now I am jonsing to get my sweat on.
  • DaniJeanine
    DaniJeanine Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    It took me years to find something that I really loved to do...I tried various classes, working with a trainer, typical cardio/weights on my own at the gym...none of it motivated me. Then I discovered two things: Zumba and hiking. I absolutely LOVE Zumba and I look forward to going to class. Even if I'm tired I know I'll wake up once I'm there. Hiking is seasonal, but nothing can make me do 3 hours of straight cardio like hiking up a mountain. I have a group of friends that I go with which really helps take the focus away from the work and keeps it social and fun. I'm glad you found that in walking!!! Keep exploring :)
  • BandForAlyAnne
    BandForAlyAnne Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    i cant wait for this to happen for me! i dont hate it, but i dont like it....yet.
  • Jugie12
    Jugie12 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    :love: When I got back into heavy lifting and in a week, added 10-15 lbs on most moves
  • asb46
    asb46 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    It hasn't happened...and won't as long as I call it "exercise". I enjoy the cardio activities I do for the sake of themselves, like working in the yard or the garden, or even doing the laundry. It's amazing how many calories you burn toting those heavy loads up two flights of stairs and back! I can spend two hours straight in the garden, breathing hard, sweating and straining before I know it, and grinning the whole time.
  • creech6317
    creech6317 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I am slowly branching out. I have started trying to jog. I am able to go a little farther each day. I have attempted Zumba (realized that I have three left feet ) but it does burn the calories, so I keep hoping that I will get better at it, seeing as how I love dancing.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I've always enjoyed playing sports, even though I've never been particularly good at it. Motivation to exercise has never been a problem for me.
  • beaner1st
    beaner1st Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I few months ago I realized I was enjoying exercising and looking forward to it. It is the oddest thing since I am 42 and this is the first time in my life I can say that. This is also the best shape I have been in my life. I cannot pinpoint the day it happened but sure I am glad I can say it now.
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    It took about 2 weeks, then I was so happy to workout because I just began to love it :happy:
  • msrat1
    msrat1 Posts: 43
    Options
    When I started to feel the results. Notice I said "feel" because my clothes got loose, I had energy and slept better. So now I look forward to doing some form of working out either at the gym or with my Wii game.
  • 2BFIFTYFABULOUS
    Options
    When I found something I liked, which is Bootcamp aerobics(similiar to Insanity) I Luv it, and my new adopted motto is SWEATING IS SEXY! If I dont go at least 5 days a week, I get withdrawals.
  • tehzephyrsong
    tehzephyrsong Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I don't know exactly when it became fun, but I think I've only consciously had the thought "This is fun!" while using one of the resistance machines at my university's rec center. I have, however, learned to enjoy exercise and I've found myself feeling all manner of positive emotions while working out: relaxed, accomplished, even happy.

If nothing else, I apparently like it enough to miss it, anyway; when it was colder (I've been in Russia for about 3 1/2 months now), I found myself wishing I could go jogging or something, but a variety of factors made exercise beyond the walking I do to go anywhere unfeasible. I go home in about three days and I cannot wait to start working out again. I crave my cardio. My neighborhood is awesome for walking (it's a huge loop), I'm going to look into a YMCA membership so I can start swimming, and I've got a boy waiting for me who likes to get my heart rate up, if you know what I mean. ;D
  • BrettWithPKU
    BrettWithPKU Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Man, I haven't had a good workout since .. yesterday. Can't wait til' this evening.
  • Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    When I found what I enjoyed. For me it was playing racquetball and taking a crossfit type class at the gym. Walking on the treadmill or cycling on an exercise bike is not something I enjoy and I just sort of slog through it when I have to do those.
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    there are always points during hard exercise where i want to give up. but i love it because of how i feel when i'm done exercising, that satisfied feeling of finishing a really productive, sweat inducing workout. please don't think that some day you have to find every aspect of it fun. because sometimes i think when people do that to themselves they get mad when they don't enjoy it anymore or when they start enjoying it less. i'm not saying you shouldn't do an exercise you like or even an exercise you simply don't hate... but just that some people just moderately like the actual exercise but really like the results (i am one of them)... i will probably get some pushback from this statement but i think you all know what i'm saying, it's not all fun and games and we should expect some challenge and difficulty at times with our exercise.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    When I felt physically spent but mentally psyched because of what I had accomplished during my workout. When I realized that I could push myself beyond my limits and survive. When I realized that the hard work was worth the end result.

Edit to add: I enjoy exercise even more when it's an activity I enjoy (i.e. hiking, canoeing, sports, etc...).
  • ImKindOfABigDeal40
    ImKindOfABigDeal40 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Honestly, It's never been fun for me and I've been at this for awhile now. It's more like taking out the trash. It has to be done.