healthier alcohol choices

Options

Replies

• mcknz121
    mcknz121 Posts: 44
    Options
    There's a "diet" wine out there from Chateau Thomas. It comes in red, white and blush, named "Skinny Red, Skinny White, and Skinny Blush" (can't say their names are too creative). They're actually pretty good.

oooo i will be keeping my eye out for these.
  • Jesstruhan
    Jesstruhan Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Scotch - 78 calories and if you get GOOD Scotch, you make that little glass last a LONG time. No guilt there! just indulgence!
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Here's a few of my favorites:

vanilla flavored vodka + diet coke = vanilla coke
    vodka + cranberry
    Whipped flavored vodka + diet dr pepper
    vodka + diet sprite

As other posters said, try to steer clear of the dark rums, baileys and other "heavier" liquors. You can mix many whiskeys, vodkas w/ diet soda or juices and make a nice low-cal alcoholic drink.

As for beer.....I stay away from the nasty low-cal beers, it's not worth it. Plus you have to drink twice as many to get a buzz. Oh hell no!

You may as well get in a good cardio so you have have a decent Newcastle, Stella, St. Paulies or whatever your beer preference may be.
  • mcknz121
    mcknz121 Posts: 44
    Options
    80 calories is the average for a shot of 'light colored' spirits - whiskey, vodka etc. It will just depend on what you mix them with.

Depending on your drinking preferences: there are 55-65 calorie beers and you could always order a wine spritzer. That is a glass of 1/3 wine of your preferred wine mixed with 2/3 sparkling water. Throw in a lemon wedge and there you go! You won't get blasted, but you have a drink in your hand and you can have 3 of them for the same calories as one!

why have i never heard of a wine spritzer? this sounds like exactly what i need...it doesn't taste watered down though?
  • alexandrahrah
    Options
    I tried the skinny girl white wine last night and thought it was pretty good! I have also tried Molson 67 and enjoyed it too :)
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Jack on the rocks is my go-to :)

Jame-o on the rocks for me (or with a splash of soda!)... Ah. Whiskey. How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    I don't eat back my exercise calories over the week so I can drink them on the weekends and still be under my weekly calorie goal =).
  • ImKindOfABigDeal40
    ImKindOfABigDeal40 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    A woman after my own heart
  • n_unocero
    n_unocero Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    my new fave is vodka water with lime juice....it's really good! and since there's no carbonation it doesn't give you a bloated or burpy feeling.
  • artbkward
    artbkward Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I usually go to MGD 64 (64 calories) or a vodka (diet) tonic with lime although it's hard to find diet tonic at a bar. Regular tonic has basically the same calories as a Coke.
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    A woman after my own heart

and taste buds haha
  • jennyhotpants
    jennyhotpants Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    As others have said, it's difficult to find diet tonic at the bar. A good alternative is vodka and soda water w/ lime. Right around 100 calories per drink (depending on the pour).

Be very careful of your mixers...this is the killer. Cape cods have around three hundred calories because most cranberry juice has a ton of sugar.
  • grazianok87
    grazianok87 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Im a bartender and yes light liquors are your best choices or light beers like miller 64. But being a bartender i drink at work you can do vodka (most are 69 calories) with soda and maybe a splah of real cranberry juice. Bar cranberry juice is usually a cran-cocktail and its loaded with sugar and calories, or yes captain and diet 7 up is very good.
  • SuzyLy
    SuzyLy Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Wine spritzer made with wine and seltzer. 50-60 calories each.
  • hikeout470
    hikeout470 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Im a bartender and yes light liquors are your best choices or light beers like miller 64. But being a bartender i drink at work you can do vodka (most are 69 calories) with soda and maybe a splah of real cranberry juice. Bar cranberry juice is usually a cran-cocktail and its loaded with sugar and calories, or yes captain and diet 7 up is very good.

a slow night???
  • IronSheff
    IronSheff Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Check this site out for your beer efficiency ratings. It basically takes every beer and divides it by it's ABV and calories and gives you the rankings on which beers are "healthier" for you. You can click on the different categories in the graph if you want other views.

http://www.efficientdrinker.com/beer/complete-calories-abv.html

Personally, my go to beer is now Bud Light Platinum at 137 calories per 12 oz beer and 6% ABV. I used to only drink Michelob Ultra or Bud Light (and still do), but I noticed that I am far more relaxed after only a few Platinum's versus several more of the other two. My theory is that if I'm going to drink 6 Ultra's at 95 per (570 calories), but I can get the same "effect" from only 4 Platinum's (548 calories) then I'll go with the taste I like better and save a few calories. Of course, once a weekend night hits and a good time is being had, 4 Platinum's usually turns into 10-12 and all thought of calories has been booted out the door!

As for liquor, I like Grey Goose Vodka (or whatever is available at the time) and Sugar Free Red Bull and will also mix diet dr pepper with Capt Morgan. I'm also a fan of Crown Royal with a splash of diet coke as well as good ol Jack Daniels.
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I am a shot girl - I usually do vodka or rum. You can also do Captain and Diet Coke :)
  • dawnrenee567
    dawnrenee567 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Clear liquor (I like vodka) on the rocks, and bring a crystal light packet. Yum.
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    skinny girl anything SUCKS it tastes so much like @$$ but hey if thats what you like ......ewwww:drinker:
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I drink Pure Blonde beer - mostly because I like the taste, but I also like the fact that a pint is 150 cals. So, I can go out and have four rounds (2 x half pints, 2 x soda) for 150 cals. I can live with that!

I usually alternate beers with unflavoured soda water because it has 0 cals (though it does have sodium) and comes in a glass with ice and lemon and makes it look as though you are drinking alcohol so it can help to prevent the "why aren't you drinking?" nagging - if that's a problem for you.