Hypothyroid treated? Results?

Options
ellesoul
ellesoul Posts: 125 Member
So I'm currently I'm awaiting results, but I likely have Hypothyroid... I've been struggling to lose weight (recently stalled for 2 weeks) and the thyroid issue is likely why... (I've also had constipation and hair loss - typical side effects of hypothyroidism)

I'm just curious to see if anyone else with hypothyroid issues was struggling to lose weight, but then started the meds and saw results... if so, how soon did you start seeing results? Have other symptoms improved?

Anyone?

Replies

• TheOriginalGinging
    Options
    Welcome to my world! I was diagnosed many years ago but because of my fatigue I'd fallen out of my fitness routine. So the weight just kept coming on. That and also falling out of good nutrition. My levels are normal now but I haven't done myself any favors until now. I've banned the words "diet and exercise" from my vocabulary and only use "fitness and nutrition". I'm anxious to see what others have to say as this is my first earnest try at losing the pounds. Add me if you'd like!!
  • ellesoul
    Options
    thanks for the feedback! sending you a friend request now :-)
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Due to cancer, I had my thyroid completely removed, so I'm about as hypothyroid as a person can be. Once my levels were stabilized and in normal range, I went on to lose 60 pounds with no more difficulty than anyone else...and I have kept it off for five years now. :)
  • cycleholic
    cycleholic Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've been hypo for the last 6 or 7 years - I forget...
    My levels are "normal" but my metabolism is still sluggish.
    I have to work out like a fiend to lose weight.
    I've sent you a friend request:flowerforyou:
  • Funsoaps
    Funsoaps Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    The pill won't do anything to create wt loss, it's stabilizing your thyroid, working out, making sure your stress hormones are calm, eating right for the thyroid which us high protein, veggies and good fats, no soy or goitrogens. It matters what medications you are on, what your frame if mind is, supplements, etc...
  • skinnyeascolady
    skinnyeascolady Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I was dignosed 5 years ago. I most likely had it for a few year before I found out what it was. I was working out 5-6 days a week and kept gaining weight wasn't until I had four miscarriages that they found out I had it. Then they put me on synthroid and I still couldn't lose weight even though I was working out and watching what I ate. Levels were normal.

so I got mad and started to do some reserch of my own found a site called stop the thyroid madness. Got on a Dessicated thryroid hormone which has T3 in it and not just T4. Finally I am able to lose weight. It took a long road for me to get there but I am finally.

Tipicly a hypothyroid person has to work out 1-1.5 hours to a regular person .50 hour to get results sucks but that's just how it is. Not all do but the majority do. Look up the sTop the thyroid madness site you will be amazed at the answers you will get.
  • ericarae33
    ericarae33 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I've been on meds since 2002, and they seem to work on and off.

I HATE the "normal level" because depending on where I am within those levels, I am either feeling great, or feeling like crap...and the Dr won't change anything because "your in the normal range" I've went from one end to the other in the last 3 months and am feeling like crap : (
    Good luck to you!!
  • ellesoul
    Options
    The pill won't do anything to create wt loss, it's stabilizing your thyroid, working out, making sure your stress hormones are calm, eating right for the thyroid which us high protein, veggies and good fats, no soy or goitrogens. It matters what medications you are on, what your frame if mind is, supplements, etc...

im not looking for a pill to create weight loss... but when im working hard: eating pretty good and well below my BMR AND working out 5-6 days a week, I expect to at LEAST be losing weight at a normal rate.. so I'm hoping that balancing out my thyroid ALONG with what I'm currently doing, will offer better results... I've been at this for months with slow or no results...

didn't know about the soy and goitrogens, so I'll be cautious of that

thanks for all the feedback
  • Funsoaps
    Options

I HATE the "normal level" because depending on where I am within those levels, I am either feeling great, or feeling like crap...and the Dr won't change anything because "your in the normal range" I've went from one end to the other in the last 3 months and am feeling like crap : (
    Good luck to you!!

Sounds like your thyroid is going up and down before getting ready to burn out. What you need is a very good doc that knows more than what perfect level you should be at.
  • mkahmad
    mkahmad Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have recently been diagnosed with thyroid when I went to my ob-gyn for a prenatal checkup. I have gained over 20 kgs/ 44lbs in a year. I am taking thyroxin and metformin to help me with my hypothyroidism and weight loss. I want to change the way i look and feel. Any advice would be good! Thanks!
  • Funsoaps
    Options
    You may need t3 hormone along with your t4 meds, lord knows I can't live without it.

Soy will slow your metabolism with thyroid issues greatly. Low iron can cause wt gain and hair loss as well.

im not looking for a pill to create weight loss... but when im working hard: eating pretty good and well below my BMR AND working out 5-6 days a week, I expect to at LEAST be losing weight at a normal rate.. so I'm hoping that balancing out my thyroid ALONG with what I'm currently doing, will offer better results... I've been at this for months with slow or no results...

• codiem
    codiem Posts: 19
    Options

Good luck to you!!
    I agree with this! Where you are in the "normal range" makes a difference! When I had a dr that wanted my on the lower end I was preggo and losing weight. (I was big, so it was still healthy) Then, after the baby I wanted to up my meds because I was on the higher end of normal but the dr said it was still normal. Fatigue kicked in and I gained weight because I was too tired to care about fitness. Now, I was recently diagnosed with thyroid cancer and had to have my thyroid removed. It's like starting the process all over again! I will say don't expect the pill to be the magic answer. I've learned I still have to work harder than others to get the same results. Mostly because it takes more effort for me to have the energy to work out. It can take some time to find the right dosage that works for you and even then, it's something that changes often. The best thing I can say is don't be afraid to fight for your health! If your dr. says your levels are normal and you still feel like crap, tell them the way you feel is not acceptable. If you are so tired you don't think you can get out of bed, make yourself. It takes time, but you can get there.
  • codiem
    codiem Posts: 19
    Options

The pill will help, if it's the right dosage. That's what may take some time.
  • kevin0313
    kevin0313 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I recently started treatment for my hypothyroid. It took a little while to get the dosage correct - stepping up in increments but we finally got my levels to where my doc wanted to see them. Personally I noticed the results. I felt better, less sluggish, more alert and out of that "haze". I did also notice that I seemed to be able to maintain weight easier - it wasn't just gain and work hard to stay even. Some weight did come off just from the balance in my metabolic system.

You may notice a change in weight once things regulate - but then again, different strokes for different folks...hope it goes well for you.
  • vivienne1972
    Options
    Hi there, i have an under active thyroid, i have stuggled to maintain my weight,what with the meds and being diabetic too, providing your meds (Thyroxine) is the right dose then u should see results. i went on a diet aug 2010 and did really well up to july 2011 i lost in total nearly 3st, then to get a huge blow, I was diagnosed with ceoliac diease, i had to completely change my way of eating, nearly all foods thats are glutin/wheat free are very high in sugar and fat, so over last 10 months i have put back on a stone in weight. my smaller clothes that i finally got into have started to get tight, so i have started on this calorie counting diet, i have been on it a week now and have already lost 3lb. I now have my willpower back to carry on. hang on in there and hopefully you can lose and maintain your weight once the medical side of things is under control.
  • ellesoul
    Options
    this all really helpful, and makes me hopeful... thanks everyone!
  • Anke861
    Anke861 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    been diagnosed since 2009 and been on meds for just over a year. 50mg thyroxine pills.. i ve always been overweight and tried to loose weight.. since ive been taken the meds ive lost 29 pounds but this is also due diet and alot of exersice.. it just helped to keep my metabolism up.

Ive been plateauing since feb this year and have started insanity to mix up exersize..

good luck to you :-)
  • ColtyHan
    ColtyHan Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed in 2010. It took a really long time and a change in doctors to get my meds figured out. Now that I am feeling better and have the energy to put in the work, the weight is coming off. Just be patient while the meds get figured out, and be ready to change doctors if you don't feel like yours is a good fit.
  • sdrichardson713
    sdrichardson713 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've been hypothyroid since I was 9 and have always struggled with weight, fatigue, etc. Since having my last baby my ranges have been all over the board. I'm lucky to have found a doctor who will still treat me if I am symptomatic, regardless of my levels. That being said, when I first started the meds at 17 I lost about 20 lbs without even trying. And I felt soooooo much better. I trust that you will feel much better in a few weeks.
  • gonnadoit2010
    gonnadoit2010 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Four years ago, I was diagnosed with Graves disease/Hyperthyroid. My thyroid was removed, due to a large tumor and they found cancer cells, so I also was treated for that as well. Then I became hypothyroid. I am on thyroid replacement meds, but they try to keep my test levels low, to reduce the risk of the cancer returning. I gained about 30 lbs, but I can't completely blame my thyroid issues. I certainly made bad choices as well. Be patient, they will get your meds adjusted, but it does take time. I too lost a lot of hair, my skin became very dry and I also suffered from alot of muscle cramping, but it has improved since my thyroid levels have stabalized. I think it is a little more difficult for us who have thyroid issues, but it can be done. I returned to MFP the end of March and I've lost about 23lbs, so far. Don't give up, be strong, you can do this! You can add me as a friend if you like. Good luck in your weight loss journey.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!