HELP!!!!

Options
AJTwiddy
AJTwiddy Posts: 34 Member
I have absolutly no idea what is actually NOT nutritious!!! I get the sweets and fried foods (yes I eat alot of it) but over all Food is food N U have to eat!!! I am starting to get the Cal count KINDA but not the rest!! How do I know what isnt good for me??? Any advise would Help!!! I guess I should try lookin into Nutrition 4 dummies LOL

Replies

• sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    You are on the right track if you are asking these questions, many steps ahead a majority of people who are clueless and don't even know it!

A good rule of thumb is this: If it spoils it is good for you, if it lasts a long time, it is bad. Another is avoid things with food labels, I find this a little too extreme because even my nuts, oils, etc. have labels. And I load up on canned tomato products for cooking If it does have a label just look for fewer ingredients. But overall the less processing the better. Trying to figure out the healthy options of preocessed food is really just too time consuming and fraught with trickery and missteps.

For grocery shopping sticking to the outside aisles is a good plan. Only go into the interiors for staples like tea/coffee. paper products, frozen frut and veg, etc.

This will be more work as far as prep goes but it will be more nutritious and less expensive.

Keep it up!
  • HannahDiaz25
    HannahDiaz25 Posts: 104
    Options
    A good rule of thumb is to look at the food you are about to eat and ask yourself how close it is to its natural state. The more processed a food is the less nutritious and potentially unhealthy it usually is.
    Veggies, Fruits, Nuts, Oats and pretty much anything that comes from the ground are all Natural foods and generally these are the most nutritious and most easy for your body to digest.

Here is a list of food I try to eat almost daily:

Spinach
    Kale
    Blueberries
    Bananas
    Apples
    Almond milk
    Ground Flax seed
    (The above all gets blended into a smoothie)
    Oatmeal
    Greek Yogurt (A complete food with protein and carbs...Very good for you in my opinion)

I try to eat the following as regularly as possible

Dried Fruit (the kind without sugar added)
    Almonds
    Chicken
    Brown Rice
    Salmon
    Tuna (when i cant afford Salmon Lol)
    Sweet potatoes
    Salads with lots of veggies.
    Eggs

I hope this gives you an idea of healthy vrs inhealthy.
    Beware of frozen dinners (frozen meals, even "diet" brands are notoriously packed with sugars, perservatives etc)
    Obviously "junk food" should only be eaten in very small amounts... Yeah every once in a while I eat a McDonalds or something, but I try not to make it a habit! Its hard sometimes when you are always surrounded by unhealthy options. I try to pack little baggies of carrots, dried fruit and nuts or homemade granola bars when I leave the house so that I wont get so hungry that I can't resist the call of Taco Bell :laugh:
  • HannahDiaz25
    HannahDiaz25 Posts: 104
    Options
    That is Awesome! I never thought about taking the spoil time into account :tongue: I learn new things every day!
  • ImKindOfABigDeal40
    ImKindOfABigDeal40 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    A lot of it is common sense. I personally eat foods that are loaded with protein like, chicken, fish, turkey, nuts of all sorts. Veggies like spinach, lettuce, asparagus, carrots, peas, etc... I limit my dairy intake and eat greek yogurt. I stay away from carb rich foods like pasta and I eat wheat bread.

I don't really restrict food so much as I try to limit the stuff that i know is bad for me.
  • kellybean14
    kellybean14 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Check out "In Defense of Food." It's awesome and seconds what most of the above posters have mentioned.
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    No offense to all the natural eaters and what not, but I'm just going to throw this out there.

I've lost 63 pounds. I'm about 10 pounds from my current goal.

I drink wine a lot. I love Fun Dip candy. I eat junk - I haven't eliminated it - I just balance it.

Feel free to friend me and you can see my diary. It's just finding a balance. It's not easy, but I also was not interested in a life where I avoided Taco Bell.
  • ImKindOfABigDeal40
    Options
    No offense to all the natural eaters and what not, but I'm just going to throw this out there.

I drink wine a lot. I love Fun Dip candy. I eat junk - I haven't eliminated it - I just balance it.

Feel free to friend me and you can see my diary. It's just finding a balance. It's not easy, but I also was not interested in a life where I avoided Taco Bell.
    Some folks can do that if you have the will power to limit it. Most people don't have that will power so it's best to eat healthy and stick to it. In the long run, eating right now will produce better long term health benefits as well.
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    A lot of it is common sense. I personally eat foods that are loaded with protein like, chicken, fish, turkey, nuts of all sorts. Veggies like spinach, lettuce, asparagus, carrots, peas, etc... I limit my dairy intake and eat greek yogurt. I stay away from carb rich foods like pasta and I eat wheat bread.

I don't really restrict food so much as I try to limit the stuff that i know is bad for me.

I agree with this.

I also agree with limiting processed food. Generally if it comes in a box I don't eat it. That goes for 100cal pack(excluding nuts) protein bars, and cereal as well sa teh obvious mac and cheese, hamburger helper, cookies and crackers.

I follow a mostly primal diet that limites carbs from grains and processed food and encourages whole friuts and vegetable and fish and meat for protein. if this sounds like somthign you might want to try check out the link below and Good Luck!

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options

Some folks can do that if you have the will power to limit it. Most people don't have that will power so it's best to eat healthy and stick to it. In the long run, eating right now will produce better long term health benefits as well.

I agree with both points. I still love to drink wine and I am not interested in never eating Taco Bell again either. I advocate balance but I think balance means eatign natural whole foods about 85% ofthe time and eatign what ever I want only about 15% of the time. If your body is generally healthy form eating naturel foods then it wont matter too much if you eat fast food once a month or so.
  • ImKindOfABigDeal40
    Options

I agree with both points. I still love to drink wine and I am not interested in never eating Taco Bell again either. I advocate balance but I think balance means eatign natural whole foods about 85% ofthe time and eatign what ever I want only about 15% of the time. If your body is generally healthy form eating naturel foods then it wont matter too much if you eat fast food once a month or so.

Yes, life is all about balance. Most of us have let our eating habits slip to far to one side or the other. Somewhere in the middle is ideal.