benifiber, stool softener daily help lose weight?

Options
Will taking benifiber or a stool softener daily help lose a lil weight?

Replies

• mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    It will help you be regular but it won't give you any fats loss.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options

This. How/Why do you feel it might? Yes your weught fluctuates daily but fecal matter does not make up fat loss.
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

Also you might become dependent on stool softener to promote a bowel movement.
  • fabafter5
    fabafter5 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Laxitive abuse is a slippery slope. If you need to be more regular why not eat more veggies and drink more water? That way if you don't like the number on the scale you won't grab a laxative to make the number go down temporarily.
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    i think the fiber woudlnt' be a bad idea. i'm not sure taking something that is laxative like will help. but yeah, i know lots of people who take a fiber supplement and it can help if you're not getting enough and think that might be the problem.
  • judysaprincess
    Options
    1) Change up your diet by eating every 3 hrs "6 meals a day! " Complex carb & lean protein every meal does wonders!
    2) Drink a full glass of lemon H2O before each meal & within 10 minutes of waking up! "@ minimum 1/2 of your body weight in oz."
    3) Drink green tea twice a day!
    4) Multivitamin is a biggie!

If your a smoothie person which I am :) add spinach or kale along with 1/2 a banana and you won't even taste the veggies :)!
    Just a few tips, but dependency on stool softeners is not the way to go...could end up hurting your digestive system more than helping!
  • jartis0001
    jartis0001 Posts: 15
    Options
    Thanks Ladies:happy:
  • bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    There's no need for stool softener or fiber if your diet is complete. How often do you see bears taking laxatives? We're the only creatures that have a massive variety to choose from - so let's choose right!
  • amberleighM04
    amberleighM04 Posts: 108
    Options
    Instead of stool softeners, have a small bowl of bean flakes or raisin bean. It won't help you lose weight, but you'll be regular and shouldn't have any major issues as you adjust your diet.
  • mcknz121
    mcknz121 Posts: 44
    Options
    like everyone said above, not going to help you lose fat. because of medical reasons, i take miralax daily to help things uhh soften up a bit (tmi sorry...IBS-C)...so if you're going to go the stool softener route that's doctor approved to take everyday. but if you don't have actual medical problems with #2, you shouldn't need either, especially fiber since you'll be eating tons of fruits & veggies :smile:
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options

Also you might become dependent on stool softener to promote a bowel movement.

This. Unless you have a medical reason to take stool softeners or laxatives on a regular basis, don't. It's amazing how fast your body gets used to that additional help to move things along and it will be a painful lesson if you try to stop taking them.

I speak from experience. I went on a vacation awhile back where I had pretty much no roughage/veggies the entire time (as well as pretty much nothing of any nutritional value). And while it was a tasty trip, I got seriously backed up. Having previously been someone who went every day, I bought some laxatives because it was starting to cause a lot of discomfort.

Once things started processing through again, I liked the easy regularity the laxatives were providing and just kept taking them. I didn't do it for some magic weight loss solution, since I knew it was just waste being passed. But, as I said, I like the total regularity. Cut to the not to distant future from that time and I realize that it's a stupid expense and cut the laxative cost from my budget.

It took me months and months for my body to get back to going on it's own. I went from going every day, to going at the same time every day due to taking the laxative at the same time each night, to not being able to go at all. Talk about severe discomfort. :( After enough time on a diet with amped up veggies, chia seeds, and stuff like that, I finally got back to being able to go without the laxatives. But to this day, I've gotten back to where I was, now it's every couple of days for the most part. Sometimes daily, but usually not much if it's each day.

Summary - don't take 'em unless you have actual need. And actual need is if you hadn't had any bowel movements for at least five days, anything less than that is still considered "normal".