what to do when you have a TOTAL BLOW OUT and OVER EAT

Options
Dave198lbs
Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
recently I read a thread about how someone had a total blow out and over ate their calories by more than a cheese cake full.

I suppose it is normal to fear that when this happens we have undone alot of hard work. It hasnt if- you dont continue with over feeding.

We all tend to look at a one day at a time window when measuring how we are doing as far as total calories consumed. It doesnt actually work this way. At least not for me.

WHen you have one of those days where something happens like a party or a wedding or just a crappy day and you over eat by a huge margin, don't despair. Sit down and plan out the rest of a 7 day period. Manage your next 7 days to end up with the same caloric deficit as if you didnt have that blow out. I personally am doing intermittent fasting (IF). I am not selling that to you but I am really enjoying the results as far as energy, mental clarity and especially not being worried about what to eat and when.

Some will say that if you have a blow out just forget it and start the next day back on track. Why? Plan your next 7 days to include the total and you will stay on track.

Looking at calories consumed over a 3 day or 7 day window is much nicer, easier and more enjoyable than the 24 hour daily grind.

No...I do not have studies and research to cite for you. It is working for me and I like it.

Replies

• bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I always follow 1 simple rule. (not just for food but for everything) do not make decisions today if you are unwilling to deal with the consequences tomarrow. To me it means that I should stay within my cal limit today if I want to see good things tomarrow. (not directly tomarrow, but you know what Im saying) :) that being said. I wouldn't let it get you down, everyone overdoes they're cals every once in a while. It's when I becomes a habit to do so that sets you up to not see the results you would like to.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    It's a good idea, but I couldn't plan my week ahead if my life depended on it. I don't even know what I'm going to have for dinner tonight.

I haven't had a blowout day since I started, but If I did, I'd just pick myself up, brush off the cookie crumbs, toss the candy wrappers, and get back on my diet and exercise program for the next meal.

Since you're doing intermittent fasting you might be interested in this article. It says that rat studies (which might or might not apply to humans), show that longer fasting between meals, and not snaking may be beneficial in preventing obesity and metabolic problems regardless of how much you actually eat.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/05/120517131703.htm
  • bjfrezell
    bjfrezell Posts: 241
    Options
    I don't let one day ruin my entire journey. Everyone has a bad day every now and then. The best thing to do is brush off the crumbs and go right back to your journey. Plus I've never had one bad food day ruin my overall weight loss.
  • kristies73
    kristies73 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I dont think I have "total blow" out days but I have had some where I did go over my calories by alot. It was not necessarily bad food choices just too much and probably more high in fat and carbs. It does ruin my weight loss efforts. I keep trying but it is discouraging that I ruin whatever work I just did. When I have another 2000 calorie day I will re-examine my plan for the rest of the week to see how I can make up for it.
  • Marque74
    Marque74 Posts: 60
    Options
    You can't undo what's been done. Don't worry about if this happens. Just be positive and move forward to keep pushing on toward your goal.
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    I just let it be and don't beat myself up about it and start fresh again the next day.
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Like the song says...

Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again.

I usually have 1 day a week where I go over by at least 200 calories (non-trying splurge days) because I don't plan and I didn't want to exercise to burn it off...
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    It's going to happen from time to time. Even skinny people do it. Don't worry. Tomorrow is a new day.
  • sarrah_n
    sarrah_n Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Falling back into old habits can happen every so often. Personally, after I have a "bad food day" I fell awful, bloated, greasy. It sucks. That feeling is generally my motivation the next time I start to slip into bad habits.

Also try to pinpoint your trigger that causes/allows you to overeat. I tend to have "bad food days" when I have too much down time on the weekends. Knowing this, I try to plan my weekends to no longer allow for the extra down time that I would usually spend eating. But again, it happens. Don't beat yourself up, but keep in mind what you are going through at that point so you can try to avoid it going forward; this whole process is a learning experience after all.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    well thanks but this wasnt about me going over, it is about a different way to handle going over without just saying oh well, start again tomorrow
  • CurlyQ59
    CurlyQ59 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    well...basically you can either brush yourself off and begin anew or you can continue on he same path - it's not like there alot of other choices - but I would suggest maybe taking the time to try and really look inside yourself an try to understand "why" you overdid it this time... was it stress related, was it a special occassion, was it because you'd let yourself become too hungry...etc... it may not take back he damage that was done by the splurge, but it may help you learn how to handle that situation in the future and also give you more insight into how you are dealing with food...
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    well...basically you can either brush yourself off and begin anew or you can continue on he same path - it's not like there alot of other choices - but I would suggest maybe taking the time to try and really look inside yourself an try to understand "why" you overdid it this time... was it stress related, was it a special occassion, was it because you'd let yourself become too hungry...etc... it may not take back he damage that was done by the splurge, but it may help you learn how to handle that situation in the future and also give you more insight into how you are dealing with food...

did you actually read the original post? I dont see how you did based on your response. it has nothing to do with Me going over on calories
  • memstar
    memstar Posts: 6
    Options
    Its great to think ahead, but dont feel horrible if you dont follow all the rules once in awhile!
  • arnoswife
    arnoswife Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    i myself have been REALLY Bad this week, but I am ok with it. I have managed to maintain weight this week and not gain, and yes not lose. I am 18 pounds away from my goal, so I am not too worried about this week killing me. If I ate like that always then yes I would be worried, but this week was kind of an OOPS week!
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    Try harder the next day. One day at a time. Don't fall into tempation everyday but treat yourself once in a while.

wow...you didnt actually read the original post either
  • aklitten
    aklitten Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    This is an interesting topic, and obviously people have different takes on it. As for me, someone who has dealt with food issues for 20 years, it's not always simple. But I know I'm in a better place than I was 10 years ago, so that means something. Seeing as I need to eat to live, it's not going to come easy and changing my attitude towards food is an ongoing journey. As long as I see myself as farther in my journey than I was ____ years ago, and fitter and healthier than I was even 1 year ago, I see progress. To each his/her own. Everyone has his/her own approach, and definition of success, and there's not just one road to reach that goal. Though I will say, drinking lots of water helps on a lot of those roads! =]
  • FrozenGod
    FrozenGod Posts: 21
    Options
    Honestly anytime I dramatically over eat, I make it my mission to either run it off that night or over the next few days do at least an hour on a treadmill or elliptical to make up for it. Burning it off is the only real way to get back the calories, unless you under eat, but then your just slowing your metabolism down.
  • Broderick50
    Broderick50 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    SHORT MEMORY GOOD DAYS AND BAD DAYS HAPPEN IF THE GOOD OUTWEIGH THE BAD THEN YOU'RE OK
  • BrownsFan16
    BrownsFan16 Posts: 38
    Options
    Once you get yourself on track using MFP, it truly is NOT a big deal when this happens. Once your metabolism is kicking in and you been following everything, it WILL NOT affect you. I have in the past allowed myself one day a week to eat whatever. Now by that, I don't mean rushing out to the greasy spoon and downing two dozen hot wings and endless fries, etc etc. I can enjoy some "happy" food and not let it worry me. I do think for the mental aspect of things, we need days like that to keep us from going insane.

I can say this because I have gone from 308 pounds Nov. 1 of 2010 to this morning, when I am 217.8. I maintained my weight for a six month period until starting MFP five weeks ago, and have gone from 231 to the 218 (even though I used a lower weight for my beginning weight on here). Now I am training for a half marathon, so I am running four days a week - that said, I also have been eating back my calories and I am still dropping.

Point is - don't let it bring ya down. It happened. Just continue to do what you do. If you overload by 1000 calories three times a month, that is STILL only one pound a month - easily made up over time.
  • little_lisid
    little_lisid Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I just let it be and don't beat myself up about it and start fresh again the next day.

like she said - if something happens, move on and keep going