What ratios P/C/F for strength training?

Options
What sort of ratios should I be eating for Protein/Carbs/Fats to help build muscle, with little fat gain?

I'm getting gram protein per lb body weight, but not sure what sort of proportion of carbs and fats I should be getting

Replies

• mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    The standard answer is:

1 gram protein per pound of body weight
    .5 grams fat per pound of body weight

Then the rest of your calories can be made up from carbs or any combination of carbs/fats/proteins up to your daily calorie limit.
  • sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    This is a tricky thing to figure and I have been stumbling around and experimenting.

You are going to get a huge variety of responses here. I have my protein set high as well for muscle building.

I'm doing 40-45% fat, 30-35% carb (fruit and veg only), and 25% protein and it's working really well for me so far. I feel satiated, don't have any sugar crashes, and am able to keep a high intensity training. My only problem is actually eating enough to get to my calorie goal.

You'll also hear that you cannot build muscle without gaining fat along the way (need a caloric surplus) but for initially starting out I lost a significant amount of fat and gained muscle, this has slowed down a bit now. I also think you can continue to recomposition your body with exercise while eating at maintenance.

Good luck and I hope you find what works well for you.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I found this video helpful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLhtjYoU9aQ