south beach

Options
What do you guys think about that diet. This is my 1st day on it and by the end of the day I was craving some fruit or somehting sweet so bad. So i had .25 of a scone. Is it ok if I incorporate some fruit into it???

Replies

• borjanap
    borjanap Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    What do you guys think about that diet. This is my 1st day on it and by the end of the day I was craving some fruit or somehting sweet so bad. So i had .25 of a scone. Is it ok if I incorporate some fruit into it???
  • birdiegirl_us
    Options
    I've never done south beach nor know alot about it...only what I've heard..that it's alot like Atkins...I did the Atkins a few years ago and lost 30lbs in two weeks. The idea of taking away certain foods it makes your body "work" with what it gets...ex: taking away fruit and sugar makes your body find and use the sugars from the other foods you are allowed to have. With the Atkins I craved sugars, breads, and potatoes the first few days..........Once you think in your brain you can't have it that's when you really want it. Stick to what it says, the results may really surprise you! Good luck and keep us in tune to how it's going.
  • 3bearsmom
    Options
    I love the south beach. If I stick to it I feel really good! This morning I made the Mushroom Asparagus omelet. it was very good. My problem tends to be staying away from snacky sweet things like cookies. particularly in the afternoon. I just make sure they aren't available. I have found the non-fat yogurt or sugar free pudding helps me get through those cravings and I am still on track.
  • catlover
    catlover Posts: 389
    Options
    I loved south beach diet and it worked pretty well when I started it. I just lived with the cravings. When I started adding the carbs back into my diet on the other end it seemed like I couldn't stop. So it was hard for me to stick with it. With the dedication I have now, I would consider doing it again. It's my experience, and that of a few friends that tried it, that you have to follow it as they say for best results.
  • mjj79
    mjj79 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I've tried it several times. I lose upt to 8 lbs the first couple of weeks, but then either 1 of 2 things happens: I plateau or get bored and cheat. When I cheat, the weight comes on VERY fast (like, a couple of days). It seems like it makes my body VERY sensitive to carbs.

So, about 2 weeks ago I added back in good carbs (whole grains and fruits) in moderation. The first week I did this I GAINEd 2 pounds (even though Istayed w/in my calories). The second week I lost 1.5 lbs. So, we'll see what happens this week.

I struggle with wanting the weight to come off quickly (who doesn't). However, I'm learning that I need to stick with something I can live with. It seems to me that South Beach requires a lifelong commitment w/ minimal to no cheating.

I'm not an expert, by any means, just relaying mer experience. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • kap1970
    Options
    I LOVE the way South Beach incorporates carbs into a healthy lifestyle. The first 2 weeks, I think. Is a clensing phase. You will notice that you will have a particular day where your body craves sugar. I say fight through it for at least a week then add the good carbs back it. Fruit, whograins, sweet potatoes ect. It is your body reacting to the sugar addiction, just like a drug addict. Drink a ton of water and after a few days you will notice it will go away. My body is super sensative to sugar, white flower, and bad carbs. If I crazy eating week I do the clensing phase for a week. Most recently I went on a cruise and was eating pizza every day. When I returned home I went right to the clensing stage for one week and I actually wighed less then when I went on the cruise. I then incorporated the "good carbs" back in. Good Luck.
  • kap1970
    Options
    Give it time, change happens slowly. Cheating, what's that??? It's choices and decisions. It probably took you a long time to get where you are, allow the time to change to healthy habits. Nothing should be given up forever.