hypoglycemia & dieting

linnebooc
linnebooc Posts: 84 Member
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
i was diagnosed with hypoglycemia (without diabetes) about 7 years ago and have since been really leery about getting on any kind of diet.

I remember when I was first diagnosed and my doctor sent me to a nutritionist that she said that I should stay away from the low/no carb diets. Does anyone else know what else I can do for this and still be able to loose weight?

Replies

• Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    I also have this. I have decreased number of calories but customize my portions to include 65% carbs and 25% fats. I haven't had a problem over the last six months. However, I do have to eat all of my exercise calories and if I am really hungery, I eat even if I don't have "calories" left for the day.

Hope this helps. Good Luck.
  • juliep63
    juliep63 Posts: 84
    an excellent book is SugarBusters... I know that my father was diagnosed with diabetes and this helped... works for Hypoglycemia too. It works on giving you a balanced lifestyle so the you avoid sugar spikes and plummets. hope this helps!:ohwell:
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    i was diagnosed with hypoglycemia (without diabetes) about 7 years ago and have since been really leery about getting on any kind of diet.

I remember when I was first diagnosed and my doctor sent me to a nutritionist that she said that I should stay away from the low/no carb diets. Does anyone else know what else I can do for this and still be able to loose weight?

I am diabetic and my husband has low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) and we both follow a low and controlled carb eating plan.............

Low carb has stabilized both my high blood sugar and my husbands low blood sugar.............

I eat about every 3-4 hours and my husband kind of snacks and grazes all day long............

The key to stabilizing blood sugar where it is hyper (high) or hypo (low), is to eat protein or fat when you eat any types of carbs (fruit, veggies, bread, crackers, etc.........)
  • LeanLioness
    an excellent book is SugarBusters... I know that my father was diagnosed with diabetes and this helped... works for Hypoglycemia too. It works on giving you a balanced lifestyle so the you avoid sugar spikes and plummets. hope this helps!:ohwell:

Sugar busters is controlled carb eating plan, not quite as strict as Atkins or South Beach.............

Here is some reading material to refute what the nutritionist has told you.

Low carb is a good way to treat hypoglycemia.

http://www.clearleadinc.com/site/low-carb-diet.html
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Also, eat more complex carbs than simple ones because the simple ones are rapidly converted to sugar, causing your blood sugar to spike.

Eat often (not full meals, obviously) so your body doesn't "crash" in between meals.

Whether or not you are hypo or hyper or have diabetes, your goal is to regulate the sugar levels in your body as much as possible through diet and exercise. Knowing how your body processes various types of food helps a lot. How food interacts with each other is important too.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member

Sugar busters is controlled carb eating plan, not quite as strict as Atkins or South Beach.............

For me personally, low carbs didn't work for me. I was worse with getting dizzy all the time. I have to eat complex carbs in order to maintain energy and be able to exercise for long periods of time. I used to pass out just standing up and now I don't.
  • LeanLioness

For me personally, low carbs didn't work for me. I was worse with getting dizzy all the time. I have to eat complex carbs in order to maintain energy and be able to exercise for long periods of time. I used to pass out just standing up and now I don't.

Well, complex carbs are what the low carb diet is built around................and that is also how I eat.

**Fruits
    **Vegetables
    **Whole grains
  • linnebooc
    linnebooc Posts: 84 Member
    Thanks everyone. I think I have some good pointers to make this work now.
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    For the best results ask your doctor to refer you to a dietician so she can map out a plan specifically for you according to what you like to eat and you exercise pattern.
    Thanks everyone. I think I have some good pointers to make this work now.
This discussion has been closed.