time between working out the same muscle group...

Options
gerard54
gerard54 Posts: 1,107 Member
How long do you wait before working out the same muscle group. I personally like 3 days but i hear it should be longer...

Replies

• iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Normally 3 days should be plenty of rest time. As long as you're not really sore you should be in good shape to work that muscle group again. Just listen to your body. If your legs feel good, kill them with squats. If they're still really sore from last time then give them another day of rest.
  • jen7eleven
    jen7eleven Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same because I have been having that almost charlie horse feeling in my right calf all day after getting back to the gym consistently this week.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Depends on volume, intensity, conditioning, etc.

Given the fact that MPS is elevated for about 48 hours, I think it makes sense to hit each muscle group at least twice per week, if hypertrophy is your goal.
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I've been told 24-48 hours. It takes at least 24 hours for the muscles to fully recover and build themselves up. After 48 hours they will start to lose the benefits of the previous workout.

But, like everything else listen to your body. I know people who run 6 days a week and have no trouble. If you try and use the same muscles after skipping a day, and they are sore and you feel like you have no strength, then try skipping 2 days. Everyone is different.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I've been told 24-48 hours. It takes at least 24 hours for the muscles to fully recover and build themselves up. After 48 hours they will start to lose the benefits of the previous workout.

what does that even mean?