Shakeology- what are everyone's opinions

Options
2»

Replies

• texastango
    texastango Posts: 309
    Options
    Let me know if you have used the stuff and how it affected you.

All responses appreciated! :)

The Skinny:

Depends on why you want to use them: I'll give you an example of why they are potentially good and healthy option.

Without getting into a long discussion of metabolism, glycogen synthesis - energy stores, muscle building etc.....

If you body build or do a lot of aerobic activity (over 90 minutes at a time) and / or if you plan to do more exercise or activity the same day...then replacing energy stores (glycogen) is important. Your liver stores about 100 grams of glycogen - used for power and to help rebuild muscle - and you burn approximately 1 gram of glycogen a minute doing strenuous aerobic activity.

Resoration of glycogen stores work best when insulin levels are fairly constant - glycogen synthesis rates remain most efficient - and studies show that replentishing your body with a load of carbs/protein within 30 minutes to 1 hour after strenuous exercise is helpful in most efficiently restoring glycogen.

A mix of solid protein and liquid is recommended again to keep absorption occuring over tme and continue glycogen level restoration.

If you go right home from the gym and eat protein that's great. But for many that's not feasible. So taking protein shakes to the gym helps get protein at a time you need it. In addition, the higher protein intake you have, in general, the high fat intake and cholesterol intake. Protein shakes (some of them) have little to no cholesterol. (ex Jay Robb). Jay Robb has no cholesterol, no sugar (stevia), and virtually no carbs and zero fat. Try getting that from beef, chicken, or lean turkey...so again, getting protein without the fat and cholesterol is a good reason to use Whey Shakes. It's not required...but a nice option. Try mixing it with unsweetened almond milk 1/2 cup - 20 cals - zero sugar - and ice - and frozen fruit for a real treat

8443442.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    This is one of those posts that people seem to always get into arguments about the price, nutrition, etc. in. To answer the question I love Shakeology. I didn't use it while losing, I use it while maintaining. I love the taste with it in the blender and ice :)
  • coachlove
    coachlove Posts: 9
    Options
    I became a Beachbody Coach because of the benefits I got from Shakeology. Personally, it has change my life and plenty of my friends, family members, clients and customers have benefited from it. Yes, there are other shakes out there, and plenty are less expensive, but none has the quality and ingredients that Shakeology has. I've done quite a bit of research before I committed to it. Because of my training routine, I need to eat at least 3500 to 4000 cals a day and I have to add supplements. I still drink protien drinks too. So it really depends on your personal goals and lifestyle. I'm a real estate professional, and certified trainer, and there is no way I can get all the right meals to equal what's in Shakeology. And if you really look at today's food supply, it is subpar compared to many years ago. so even if it's not Shakeology, I think the average person that is looking to improve their health need to look closely at what their supplements contain. Go with what works for you. I personally plan on taking it for the rest of my life, just like I plan on eating clean and exercising for the rest of my life.
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I became a Beachbody Coach because of the benefits I got from Shakeology. Personally, it has change my life and plenty of my friends, family members, clients and customers have benefited from it. Yes, there are other shakes out there, and plenty are less expensive, but none has the quality and ingredients that Shakeology has. I've done quite a bit of research before I committed to it. Because of my training routine, I need to eat at least 3500 to 4000 cals a day and I have to add supplements. I still drink protien drinks too. So it really depends on your personal goals and lifestyle. I'm a real estate professional, and certified trainer, and there is no way I can get all the right meals to equal what's in Shakeology. And if you really look at today's food supply, it is subpar compared to many years ago. so even if it's not Shakeology, I think the average person that is looking to improve their health need to look closely at what their supplements contain. Go with what works for you. I personally plan on taking it for the rest of my life, just like I plan on eating clean and exercising for the rest of my life.

Agreed 100% :)
  • jodigirl03
    jodigirl03 Posts: 111
    Options
    I have a 30 day supply and love the flavor. I use it more often for snacks because I prefer to chew my meals. But I also pour it in popsickle trays for delish treats.
    I don,t use mine everyday and can't really offer anything about energy ... etc.
  • enewsome2
    enewsome2 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Expensive way to be hungry.

I occasionally want a green smoothie for breakfast, but they are so cheap and easy to make, I would argue it's not worth it to pay shakeology's premium prices..
  • anaboneana
    anaboneana Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, if you need a shake to provide you with nutrition, you're not eating the right foods.