Vegan? Vegetarian? Paleo? High Carb?

Options
Just curious on what food lifestyle choices people on here have and why? What reasons made people choose their specific nutritional plan and why they feel it benefits them. Was the transition hard? How long they've been doing it? And can I peek at your diaries? Just working on getting more ideas and I don't think I ever see myself going vegan/vegetarian or raw or paleo. I'm open to implementing certain things though.

I personally try to just eat as clean as possible as minimally processed as possible and organic if I can, with a wide array of vegetables, fruits, nuts, seafood, lean meats, and slow digesting carbs with a side of chocolate.

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    I personally believe in the field/farm to fork philosophy.
  • stronglikebull
    Options
    i try to keep my carbs under 100 (generally net carbs, but i really aim for under 100 total carbs), my protein around 100, and eat enough fat to keep things lubricated. ideally, i'd like to follow a much more paleo type diet, but as a student i can only do so much. i'm getting pretty steady results with my current approach. i could never do vegan or raw. i like meat too much.

personally, i am carb sensitive and i think it has a lot to do with my hypothyroid. i try to get a good amount of fiber and get a good amount of roughage in the form of greens and berries. this week's diary isn't the best example because i've been relying on protein shakes for quick food as i'm busy with school but you're more than welcome to take a look!
  • iysys
    iysys Posts: 524
    Options
    i'm of the stay out of the aisles at the market philosophy.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I personally think this whole eating clean thing is a bunch of hooey. A mild form of orthorexia.

It really isn't all that hard. Eat less junk food, severely reduce/eliminate the snacking habit, remove most liquid calories, never go through a drive through, and save eating out for special occasions only (quit being lazy and grocery shop/cook). Do those things plus exercise and eating enough calories will be a much bigger problem than eating too many.
  • sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're writing a research paper... :)

What reasons made people choose their specific nutritional plan and why they feel it benefits them.
    My brother had been doing Paleo/primal for a few years with great results, I started CrossFit, read Robb Wolff's Paleo Solution, did the 30 day challenge, and love how much better I feel, just brought some dairy back in after the initial 30 days. Experimenting with percentages has given me 40-45% fat, 30-35% carb, and 25% protein.

Was the transition hard?
    Surprisingly not, the cravings for sweets and processed carbs went away within the first week, pop back up when I have a "cheat" meal. Eating protein at breakfast was the hardest thing, I just can't handle the suggested leftover dinner for breakfast, but eggs or greek yogurt work for me now. I know longer have afternoon fatigue.

How long they've been doing it?
    Feb of this year

And can I peek at your diaries?
    Yep, it's public. I'm not 100% strict, I don't know anyone that is, but I try, some days are more successful than others. I'd say 90% paleo/primal.

"I personally try to just eat as clean as possible as minimally processed as possible and organic if I can, with a wide array of vegetables, fruits, nuts, seafood, lean meats, and slow digesting carbs with a side of chocolate. "

Sounds like you've got it figured out, we're essentially doing the same thing.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Balanced diet, combined with strength training and moderate amount of cardio.
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    i personally believe in the paleo lifestyle which is either grass fed, or lean meats and veggies and natural fats.
  • cmacvet
    cmacvet Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm pescatarian - just fish, no shellfish (allergy). I free-lanced my initial weight loss with just this philosophy:
    1. set a goal
    2. only eat if you're hungry - not by the clock
    3.. stop eating when you're not hungry - that is actually just a few bites
    4.. select foods wisely - no sweets for me - my downfall
    5. and ALWAYS REMEMBER... "it's not going to disappear off the face of the earth" when you're tempted to cheat.

I lost 10.5 lbs in 2.5 weeks, and was rarely hungry because of the small nibbling. Nice loss, but too much. Now that I'm actually counting calories here, I'm allowed more food and will hopefully lose my couple of pounds left more gradually. It's all a mind-set.

Carol
  • christinehetz80
    christinehetz80 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're writing a research paper... :)

haha Interesting you would say that considering or looking into a nutritional based field career change, but I am also intrigued cause I subscribe to the method of what works for some doesn't always for others and cause I love food and I'm slightly nosy, but a whole lot curious!
  • Josteyn
    Josteyn Posts: 44
    Options
    Eat Less.

Move More.

Result, weight loss and body toning.

Simples.
  • kleverkira
    kleverkira Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm "flexitarian" as much as I hate that word. I eat meat-free 90% of the time, but sometimes I really want some animal protein, in which case I'll eat some. I've been doing that for about 2 years now, and it's a good balance for me.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Low-fat vegan here, well almost vegan. It's hard to avoid milk or eggs sneaking in somewhere. It's working really well for me.
  • andreacord
    andreacord Posts: 928
    Options
    Rarely eat junk food. Eat when I'm hungry-ish .. to a certain extent. Limit processed carbs (but I might murder someone without oatmeal or bread). Good protein sources. That is all.
  • bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I was a vegetarian for years, but recently I haven't been able to get in enough calories to sustain myself. I am not a big fan of nuts and they aren't too dense (that I find) so meat has been sneaking into my diet... and recently very heavily. Due to IBS though it needs to go away so I am working on transitioning back out of it.
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    I try to base my diet choices on research.

I try to keep saturated fat low, sodium low, fiber high, protein at least 10% of calories, and avoid HFCS.

I try to eat foods that offer benefits beyond their macros such as grapefruit, tomatoes and spinach.

I drink some alcohol just about every day.

I exercise quite a bit.

I'm not always successful at following those guidelines, but I think my diet is working for me so far.
  • callmeBAM
    callmeBAM Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I personally think this whole eating clean thing is a bunch of hooey. A mild form of orthorexia.

Way to start out the attack posts so soon. Why not just STFU instead of being critical about things you don't even understand.
  • christinehetz80
    Options
    Eat Less.

Move More.

Result, weight loss and body toning.

Simples.

Not really specifically going for a body fat/weight loss or suggestions for me personally just curious what works for other people and how it benefits them. More specifically than just overall weight loss. For example, I noticed when I cleaned up my diet and went higher protein I wasn't as hungry as I was before. I also noticed that my skin cleared and my nails seem stronger, etc. I attribute that more to the micronutrients that I'm getting from the whole foods. Yes weight loss has been awesome, but sometimes its more than just that. When the scale isn't moving you have to remember the other things that are benefiting from your lifestyle choices. More energy, etc.
  • mrpurdy
    mrpurdy Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I tried keeping my macros at 40-30-30 (40% carbs, 30% protein, & 30% fat), but that didn't work for me after I started NROLFW. I had to increase my carb intake to @ 50% in order to have enough energy!

Do whatever works best for you.
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I am vegetarian. I was vegan for a few months when I first returned to vegetarianism after a few-year hiatus. That is my ideal, but it is just not easy to do right now. I was not getting enough protein, so now I am a lacto-ovo vegetarian. I don't want to cause harm to animals, particularly those in the slaughter houses and factory farms, so I won't eat them. I only eat free-run or free-range eggs. Dairy for me right now, unfortunately, is just dairy. I don't drink glasses of milk, but I do eat cheese and yogurt. Someday I wish to give them up, but it won't be today.
  • christinehetz80
    Options
    I personally believe in the field/farm to fork philosophy.

I've been researching this more and love the philosophy and trying to implement it a lot more. Its harder...I live in suburbia, but I'll take what I can get and I feel this is something worth seeking out. I'm considering gardening, raising chickens, and looking into a co-op for fruits/veggies and local farms for beef/pork/chicken etc.