Question about Runner's Knee

lettuceb
lettuceb Posts: 207 Member
edited September 19 in Fitness and Exercise
So, I am at week 5 of the C25K program and am experiencing much knee pain. It started last week in week 4. It doesn't bother me too much once I get going but afterwards it hurts badly :sad: especially after I have been sitting for a while. It hurts behind the knee and in the front below the kneecap, I haven't noticed any swelling. I have good new shoes. I run on the street, asphalt. I stretch afterwards (should probably stretch more). I have been taking ibuprofen and icing after run. Anyone have any other suggestions. I will go to the Dr. once I have my health insurance straightened out (about 2 weeks). I really don't want to quit my running, loving it but it has become quite painful. I used to wear a brace on my left knee when I played softball wondering if I should go back to this but both knees are hurting.

Help!

Replies

• gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Try shortening your stride- you could be putting your leg too far forward causing your knee to absorb too much impact from your footfall. Try keeping your weight on the balls of your feet.

Good luck!
  • lettuceb
    Thanks! I will try that!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,309 Member
    I've been around running for a little while. Make sure you have professionally fitted running shoes.

But, once you're injured, you need to stop running until the knee stops hurting - at least a week. It is probably a pronation issue that can be cured with new running shoes purchased from a runner's store.

Been there. Good luck. Go to the injury section on the coolrunnings.com site (where the C25K program is)

edit: I just noticed you have good shoes. If your injury doesn't clear up, it may be unrelated to the shoes.....

1) Get good running shoes (if you haven't already). By get good running shoes I don't mean going to foot locker and picking something off the wall that says "running shoe." Go to a running store and have them pick a shoe for you. They'll observe your stride, measure your foot in a bunch of crazy ways, and give you a shoe that fits your foot exactly.

2) Stretch before you run. A lot of people only stretch after, I have to do both. If I don't stretch before, I have a lot of leg pain.

3) Stretch your shin muscles. Best ways I've found to do this are to pick up your knee so your leg is going out at a 90 degree angle but your lower leg is dangling. Point your toes, and start to write out the alphabet. Do the same thing with both legs. Another good one is to sit down with your legs under you (put your feet together, bend at the knees, so your butt is above your feet when you're sitting), then grab a knee with your hands and pull upwards. Do this for about 20 seconds then switch legs.

If none of these work, I'd talk to a doctor.
  • lettuceb
    Thanks, I did get my shoes from a running store and read the coolrunning site. I just don't want to sit out a week (stubborn:grumble: ) but I understand the rest thing.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,309 Member
    Yeah, the stretches msarro mentions are all on the coolrunnings.com site too - -lots of good info there.
  • lettuceb
    These are all great replies and I agree, I need to do more stretching!
  • vanimami
    vanimami Posts: 433 Member
    Hi, I had the same issue and basically it probably is just a tight IT band. It hurt A LOT when I ran and I couldn't run anymore because of it. Anyways, I was recommended to get a foam roller, which is just a long log of foam and stretched it out that way. What you do is lay the foam roller on the ground and lay on your side w/ your bad knee side laying on the roller. Then you push your body up and down so you roll your thigh down to your knee on the roller. Do this several times.

Here's an article for you from runnersworld.com

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-241-285--11556-0,00.html
  • I was just at runnersworld.com today to look for some shoes! We have the same knee problem, its very common in women. Go to the injury prevention section it will "diagnose" your knee, then suggest shoes for you. I am going to a place on saturday to get fitted for a great shoe. You should try to go to a place that has a treadmill so they can see how you pronate your feet. thats very important. Side note: they are a little more expensive then say lady foor locker. but you could always jsut get checked out and whatever kind of shoe they reccomend for you look for at another place. good luck... you will love runnersworld.com
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    I was just at runnersworld.com today to look for some shoes! We have the same knee problem, its very common in women. Go to the injury prevention section it will "diagnose" your knee, then suggest shoes for you. I am going to a place on saturday to get fitted for a great shoe. You should try to go to a place that has a treadmill so they can see how you pronate your feet. thats very important. Side note: they are a little more expensive then say lady foor locker. but you could always jsut get checked out and whatever kind of shoe they reccomend for you look for at another place. good luck... you will love runnersworld.com

The shoes are more expensive but when you get your next pair you can get them cheaper by shopping around once you know what you are looking for. But I agree. Going to a place with a treadmill and video camera has been the best assessment I have seen so far. We have a place around here that has an indoor track, but they miss slight differences that can make a big difference.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    I've gone the other way to stop my pain from running. I go minimal/barefoot running. Takes some adjustment but my form is much better and my shin pain disappeared.

Just a note that there are other options besides buying 200 dollar shoes and inserts. :tongue:
  • joyblaylock
    joyblaylock Posts: 23 Member
    Hi,

I run about four to seven miles a day and struggle with the same issue. I've been going to physical therapy with a PT and she really put me in touch with how weak my hips and buttocks really were. I do a bit of strength training now every night to strengthen my hips and buttocks (several suggestions for core exercises can be found by googling). I do basic leg lifts and donkey kicks with ankle weights and it has helped to decrease the stiffness and pain after my runs. I'm also focusing on my form and trying to take smaller strides and watch my posture.

I can't say that it is entirely gone, but better. I have been able to up my mileage and think about a half marathon in the fall.

Of course, good shoes help too. I got some super feet orthotic insoles and that seems to be helping too.

Good luck,
    Joy
  • injuneer81
    injuneer81 Posts: 122 Member
    ice on knees after running and ibuprofen in the short term to keep inflammation down until you can effect the changes in your shoes and running style mentioned in post above
  • lettuceb
    Thanks everyone. My knee swelled up pretty good last night and is stiff today. I didn't do any running last night so a bit frustrated. I had gotten my shoes from a running store but going to go back and talk to the people there again and see about some inserts. I do strength training already, squats, lunges etc. will try to change it up some and ask my father-in-law (is a trainer). I just want to be out there so bad since I was right in the middle of the Couch 2 5K program and doing well. I might try running on the local High school track too.
  • freezeframe
    freezeframe Posts: 184
    bump
This discussion has been closed.