no energy after weight training?

Options
I just started NROLFW this week and after my first workout it was like my energy was completely sucked from me. This never happens after cardio; I'm usually energized. It was like I could go take a nap... really, that tired. My muscles have been sore but nothing unmanageable.

Is this common? Maybe because I'm newly introducing this type of exercise into my plan?

Replies

• iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    A good lifting routine should leave you feeling drained of energy especially if you include your major lower body muscles in your upper legs. I'm doing legs tonight and when I'm done I can barely walk down the steps to get to my car. Your body will get more used to weight resistance eventually but if you're killing it with the weights you should feel wiped out for a bit. I do mine at night and then take a shower and go to sleep so it's not that big of a deal. If you're doing it in the morning it might take a while for you to get your energy back.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    That means you're working harder!!!

Straight cardio does nothing to me. When I do HIIT or lifting, I'm utterly exhausted. My legs are usually complete jelly and I have a hard time walking out of the gym. That's how you know you got a great workout!
  • skendrick0601
    skendrick0601 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I agree with what everyone else said but make sure that you are eating enough of the right kinds of food for energy before and something for recovery after. That will help with the fatigue. Also, make sure you are drinking enough water.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^

All of the above...excellent advice.
  • kristi321
    kristi321 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I remembered my recovery shake today so I think that helped a lot. Now I'm looking forward to see the payoff from all this!!
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    i get more tired-- it uses up all your energy..thats why its important to get protein in right away after your workout and to make sure you get enough sleep at night... the workout simply breaks your muscles down...the rest of the muscle building process is recovery.
  • France_is_bacon
    Options
    It means you're doing it right! That's how you're supposed to feel.

I see other people have mentioned what you eat after. Don't forget to include protein afterwards! I also take certain supplements after. It's used more efficiently and the right food eaten immediately after will keep you from gorging on something unhealthy. The hour after an intense lifting session is the time I'm most likely to resort to eating junk food if I don't put something healthier in my tummy right away.

Good luck!
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    That happened to me after about the 6th workout; I found I couldn't keep up my usual cardio intensity, especially since hitting heavier weights (100#+). I was trying to do 3x week weights and 3x week cardio and I was exhausted.

I eventually took 10 days off to rest and recover and started back with 2x week weights and 4 cardio. It's so much better for me; I am even going to add another easy paddleboard day back in instead of full rest day.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Strength training is tiring. I never liked doing it during my lunch break, in addition to not having enough time. I didn't have the energy to jump out of my workout clothes, leap into the shower, throw on my work clothes, rush back to the office.

You'll probably adapt in a few weeks.

Unless you are working out unbelievably hard, you probably don't need a protein drink afterwards, although you can have one if you like. Keep track of the calories.