Up my calories or just something to get used to?

Options
Its day two of my diet change and ive been feeling terrible! Headaches all the time, feeling extremely tired and no energy. Im eating somewhere around 1800 calories a day at the moment and walking for 1-2 (sometimes more) hours a day, burning about 300 cals. I dont have a car so thats not something that i have just started doing, its been a regular thing even when i had a bad diet. The only change is diet. I feel like ive burnt out by lunch time! (I sleep 8 hours too). Is this just a feeling that will pass because of the change? Or is this something more calories will help with for now?

Replies

• michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    It could be, or you could be coming down with a bug. Your net intake is about 1500, which might be okay... but I see you want to lose 50 lbs. so I assume you are somewhere between 150 and 200 lbs... you might be able to eat more and still lose. My advice would be to tough it out for the rest of the week. If you're getting sick you'll know in a day or two. If you're not, your body should adjust. If you lose a MASSIVE amount of weight in week 1 (like 6 lbs or more) you could consider increasing calories a bit... it's all about trial and error, I'm afraid.
  • mestop1
    mestop1 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    How is your water intake?
  • judy2888
    judy2888 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Did you change how much caffeine you are getting?
  • holly2234
    holly2234 Posts: 37
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Im currently 215lbs (at first weigh in wednesday evening) and my goal is 165lbs.

My water intake is pretty good, 7-8 glasses a day at least.

Caffeine intake is a bit different. I used to eat a lot of chocolate. I still have some now every day, but in moderation and in line with the rest of my diet.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    At 215 lbs, you're probably not eating enough. Do you have your goal set to losing 1 lb/week? Try switching it to .5 lbs/week and it will reduce the deficit, thereby giving you more to eat.

I did mine this way and I haven't lost a half pound yet...

W1 1.0 lbs
    W2 0.8 lbs
    W3 3.0 lbs
    (the rest of my losses were from Weight Watchers prior to signing up with MFP)
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    If you cut down on your sugar or caffeine intake, you could be going through withdrawals. That usually happens when people cut desserts, coffee, or soda.
  • LadyKatieBug
    LadyKatieBug Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I agree with the last poster I had the same thing happen when I was withdrawing from caffeine and sweets
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    You are burning more than that with that much walking.

I eat every 2-3 hours and I'm never hungry.
  • Hoakiebs
    Hoakiebs Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Sounds like dehydration. Make sure you're drinking about 100 oz. of water. Plus, if you're doing 2 hours of walking, that sounds like much more than 300 cals.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    It takes a few days to get used to eating less, and elminating a lot of junk food. Stick it out for a little longer and see how you feel....
  • evansproudmama
    Options
    Try upping your protein and iron!! Also more fiber will help you be fuller longer.. If your body is used to eating alot (over 2000 cals) than it could take a little while for your stomache to shrink back dow... When I was 210 and started dieting I started at 1500 cals a day but most of it was lean meats lots of protien and fiber and it took about a week of eating like this to get used to it.. Good Luck
  • tenpets
    tenpets Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Go to: http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html and figure out your TDEE. Then subtract 15%. That's what you should eat every day.
  • poledancing_ninja
    Options
    If you ate a lot of sugary foods and foods with lots of chemicals in it's probably just withdraw :) I'd give it a whole week and if it doesn't improve, try something else
  • hellraisedfire
    hellraisedfire Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    you need to be eating more, in my opinion. maybe up to 2000-2200 calories, and see how you feel. however, if you are used to having a lot of caffeine regularly, you could be going through caffeine withdrawal. did you stop cold turkey or ease off? same for the chocolate. if you switched to dark chocolate (in moderation of course) you might help with headaches as well.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Also, if you are eating clean you will not be burned out by lunch time.

Check out Everyday Food magazine (or website). Great recipes and easy to log.

Also, visit your local farmer's market (many start this weekend). That way you're meeting the folks that grow the food (or raise it in terms of meat). Grass fed beef has 1/2 the fat of factory farmed...so often the local whole foods are better for you.

Eat clean. You will not be wiped out by lunch.

My guess is also that with that much walking you may be over training. 7,000 steps/day is suggested by the CDC. You can wear a pedometer to monitor your daily steps. 10,000/steps is what weight watchers suggests for an entire day. Walking that much you really need to fuel your body. With non-processed foods.
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    You're getting quite a lot of calories. So that's not likely your problem. Could you be depressed? That will make you terribly tired and sap all you energy. Or, you could have a bug of some sort or there could be other things going on. Perhaps a trip to the doctor is in order. But, it's not likely it's the diet as you're getting a good lot of calories. Much more than many on here, including myself.
  • ashcky
    ashcky Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I've been feeling the sme thing too and I think it has to do with not drinking soda as often. I know that's why I've been having more intense headaches, so I think the low energy has to do with that too. Have you limited your soda?
  • aldz00
    aldz00 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Ensure your daily food intake is balanced with proteins and healthy snacks. I am 210lbs and eating 1880 calories a day and it took a few days to adjust to it but once you spread out the meals (350 cal per portion) its really doable. Hang in there, it gets easier. Don't underestimate the value of water!
  • chantels1
    chantels1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    It could be your body adjusting to the lower calories. I get that for about a week. I cut out all caffeine and soda, and went on a diet, so I didn't have much energy and I was hungry, so I upped my calories to lose .5 calories per week and it really helped.
  • danifo0811
    danifo0811 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    If you cut down on your sugar or caffeine intake, you could be going through withdrawals. That usually happens when people cut desserts, coffee, or soda.

I have this when I reduce sugar even if my calories stay the same or are more.

if after a week you still feel bad I would try upping.