Napping?

Options
Just curious, I tend to nap after church for 2-3 hours, almost every Sunday. I don't know what it is, but sitting still for so long wears me out. So does super long bike rides lol, so I guess its fair to say I nap like a 2 year old. How will that affect my BMR?

Replies

• jenzimmer
    jenzimmer Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I manage sleep lab and am a sleep technician with neurology degree. You should not need to nap like that unless you are a toddler or have a sleep disorder. :laugh: But really, if you are getting 6-8 hours of sleep you sound not need to nap. Even with long bike rides. LOL! I would make sure to let you Dr know that. Excessive daytime sleepniess can be a sigh of something else. Just a heads up!
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    I do too sometimes. But it's just on sunday. I figure it's like college. Sitting a listening to a professor for an hour or 3 sometimes was a sure trigger to sleep.
  • mszSHOGAN
    mszSHOGAN Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Aside from the possibility of your needing to nap being the sign of something more serious be thankful you have the opportunity to do so! Obviously your body needs to catch up or something. With my hectic schedule I'm lucky I get to sleep at nite. SLEEP ON SISTA! :laugh:
  • pkgirrl
    pkgirrl Posts: 587
    Options
    I do usually "sleep" 6-8 hours a night. Problem is I toss and turn and wake up pretty frequently. It seems like an afternoon nap is the only time I get sound sleep. I do this maybe 2-3 times a week. And find it was worse when I under eat ( probably also part of the problem?) But thanks for the heads up Jen. I will be sure to mention it to him. It kinda started when I had a concussion about 2 and a half months ago. I slept a LOT after that ( as soon as they'd let me, that is, lol) and I guess its become habit lol.
  • kookla33
    kookla33 Posts: 234
    Options
    That's good that you're getting that checked. The concussion thing concerns me.

A good book on sleep is Power Sleep. It has lots of answers to questions about sleep and how to get good quality sleep.
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I do usually "sleep" 6-8 hours a night. Problem is I toss and turn and wake up pretty frequently. It seems like an afternoon nap is the only time I get sound sleep. I do this maybe 2-3 times a week. And find it was worse when I under eat ( probably also part of the problem?) But thanks for the heads up Jen. I will be sure to mention it to him. It kinda started when I had a concussion about 2 and a half months ago. I slept a LOT after that ( as soon as they'd let me, that is, lol) and I guess its become habit lol.

you could be waking up at night cause you nap during the day, i am a napper. i could nap all day, but theres nothing wrong with me, people like to nap, its comfortable, its relaxing, its dreamy, and its refreshing.
  • pkgirrl
    Options
    Haha okay, I will geti ti checked, but I don't think its soo much too worry about. I don't think concussion and napping are directly related, more I started doing it then because for awhile everything exhausted me mentally, and then I discovered , as loathesome said, that it was pleasant.

I guess no one knows about how it effects your caloric needs though?
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Haha okay, I will geti ti checked, but I don't think its soo much too worry about. I don't think concussion and napping are directly related, more I started doing it then because for awhile everything exhausted me mentally, and then I discovered , as loathesome said, that it was pleasant.

I guess no one knows about how it effects your caloric needs though?

i was hoping someone would answer this too lol
  • Fit4Vet
    Fit4Vet Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I think it's more of a "I can, so I will" mindset! :laugh:

For me anyway...

During the week, I hold down my M-F 9-5 job without so much as a wink in the direction of a nap. I get home with my 3 yr old & we run around playing, eating, bathing, coloring, reading, tv watching, etc. until around 9 or 10 pm without even a yawn (until I get her down for the night). I get a good 7 hours every night (generally) because I HAVE to get at least that to function.

Anyway, point is, come the weekend, I'm gonna get me a nap, even if I have to send the 3 yr old to Gamma's (my MIL who lives next door), although generally I just nap 30 minutes or so when she goes down for her nap. But, OMG!! What a pleasurable nap that is! A great "blankie", my lil pillow & my couch & OMG! It's just such a RELAXing thing!! And, I will do this both, Sat. & Sun.

Come Monday though, I'm fine without it. Unless of course, you start talking about it & :yawn: OMG, I really need a nap now...:blushing:
  • jenzimmer
    jenzimmer Posts: 300 Member
    Options

you could be waking up at night cause you nap during the day, i am a napper. i could nap all day, but theres nothing wrong with me, people like to nap, its comfortable, its relaxing, its dreamy, and its refreshing.

Fragemented sleep at night could cause you to be tired during the day. When I sit down with patient's I have them fill out a sleep diary. I have them look at their sleep for 2 weeks. I want them to write down how many times they get up at night and how they feel in the morning. You SHOULD wake up refreshed everyday (for the most part). If not, you need to take a look at your routine. Every one could use a good nap once in a while. Stress can cause you to not sleep well. Our diet can to! Make sure you are not eating things that have to much sugar or soda, candy, coffee, etc before bed. I tell my patients also to not excersie right before bed. You should give yourself at least 2 hours to relax after working out to unwind before going to sleep. Also, no TV at bed time. Meaning, falling asleep with the TV. This is bad for your sleep hygine. This is a hand out I give to patients. I hope this helps!

http://www.stanford.edu/~dement/howto.html
  • pkgirrl
    Options
    wow jen! Thanks a ton for all the great info! I do actually tend to exercise les than 2 hours before bed. Sometimes I'll even do jumping jacks and situps right before I crash, lol. I guess I won't be doing that anymore :p

This is a really good article, I think you should post it just as a heads up, get better sleep, type topic, for all to enjoy :)