NSV: An "acceptable" body fat %

Options
Kris0109
Kris0109 Posts: 177 Member
Five weeks ago I started working with a personal trainer in a group, working on strength training in a circuit in addition to my usual cardio load. I basically gained 10 lbs of water within a day of starting and just in the last two weeks have seen an actual loss from my training "starting weight". Luckily, when I joined my gym, I got a certificate for a free Bod Pod screening, so I decided to check in to see where my current body fat falls. I'm 5'10, large frame, at 194 from a highest weight of 283 15 months ago. I was happy to report that, for probably the first time in my life, I have an acceptable body fat %:

5110003_4062.jpg

Had to revise my goals because my original goal weight would have put me ~15% BF. With my revised goal, looking toward ~22% BF, I'm only 14lbs away. This is very weird and kind of scary, but only in the most awesome ways!

Replies

• louisa_jay
    louisa_jay Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Well done! How did you work out how much weight you had to lose to be at your acceptable body fat percentage?
  • Kris0109
    Kris0109 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Once I got my lean body mass, I was able to take that and apply some formulas I found on here. Basically I have 140 lbs of lean mass. Assuming I neither gain nor lose muscle, if I want 140 to be, say 78% of my total weight for 22% bf, I divide 140 by .78 and come up with about 180. Not exact science but a better estimate than blindly guessing!
  • Redheadllena
    Redheadllena Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!! That's awesome and inspiring :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!