Where to wear chest strap?

Options
I just got my HRM in the mail today :bigsmile: I bought the Pro-form HRM that was on woot.com a week or so ago. The directions say to wear the chest strap slightly above the heart :noway: On my boobs?!?:embarassed: :huh: I had heard people on here saying they wear it basically along the bottom of their sports bra. I feel like putting it on my *chest* wouldn't give it a very good reading. What are your thoughts/experiences? Thanks for the help :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I've worn it both places and get fine results. I hate wearing it at the bottom of my sports bra because I wear two of them so it gets a little snug some times.

I have that same HR monitor and it's probably some of the best money that I've spent!
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    Oooo then maybe you can help!!

I put in my info- age, weight, height, etc.

So, now I'm ready to start my run... what do I do? What do I press?

Thanks :flowerforyou: I read the instructions but they seem confusing :huh: Maybe I'm just not too bright? haha :laugh:
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    My goal is to burn a certain amount of calories when I work out not as a time goal so I don't use it on the timer setting. I use it on the chrono setting. When I start working out I just hit start and then I'm off.

Did you figure out what your max and min heart rate are on it yet?
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    When I first got it I was wearing it above my boobs, so like if I had on a V-neck shirt you could see it. My brother was like, um, I don't think that's where you supposed to wear it.

Since then I've started wearing it under my chest, so like at the bottom of my bra....it's works fine both places, but one time when I did have it up higher it didn't get a good reading. Since I've worn it lower I haven't had a problem.
  • iRun4wine
    Options
    Yea- I just used the guide in the book that it came with. I am training for a 5k using couch to 5k. I'm not concerned with how long my workout takes me, and I don't have a specific calorie goal. My "goal" I guess is distance. Should I just set the timer for longer than it will take me and stop it early?
  • iRun4wine
    Options
    When I first got it I was wearing it above my boobs, so like if I had on a V-neck shirt you could see it. My brother was like, um, I don't think that's where you supposed to wear it.

Since then I've started wearing it under my chest, so like at the bottom of my bra....it's works fine both places, but one time when I did have it up higher it didn't get a good reading. Since I've worn it lower I haven't had a problem.

Thanks- didn't think it was very accurate to wear it on the chest. Not to mention funny looking and uncomfortable! :sick:
  • iRun4wine
    Options
    Did Couch to 5k today with the new HRM. Did week 3 day 2 (some hills) and the HRM read 172 calories (it took about 20/25 minutes)... that sounds accurate, right? :flowerforyou:
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    kelynn, that sounds about right, depending on your intensity. Like iceprincess, I set my HRM to Chrono and let it go until my workout is finished. I then check my results: cals burned, fat burned, % max HR, etc... It is a very good fitness tool.
  • iRun4wine
    Options