Strawberry Viniagrette Recipe

Options
sherrirb
sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
I was at a retreat this last weekend and they served this as the dressing for the salad and it was OMG UNBELIEVEABLY GOOD!!!! I just HAD to share.

I had to look this recipe up and found it on Taste of Home's website:

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Strawberry-Vinaigrette

But at a glance this is the recipe:
Prep/Total Time: 10 min. Yield: 20 Servings

Ingredients
•1 package (16 ounces) frozen unsweetened strawberries, thawed
•6 tablespoons lemon juice
•1/4 cup sugar
•2 tablespoons cider vinegar
•2 tablespoons olive oil
•1/8 teaspoon poppy seeds

Directions
•Place the strawberries in a blender; cover and process until pureed. Add lemon juice and sugar; cover and process until blended. While processing, gradually add vinegar and oil in a steady stream; process until thickened. Stir in poppy seeds. Transfer to a large bowl or jar; cover and store in the refrigerator. Yield: 2-1/2 cups.

:smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:
When I put this recipe into MFP recipe creator using regular sugar, for 20 servings: 29 calories per serving!!!! Using a sugar substitute like Stevia drops it down to a whopping 20 calories per serving!!!

This is a fantastic dressing alternative and just PERFECT for summer salads!! I'm making it for this weekend!

Replies

• aim2234
    aim2234 Posts: 13
    Options
    What type of salad would you put that on? (sorry if that sounds like a stupid question)!
  • sweetmommyofthree
    sweetmommyofthree Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I think it would be good with some romaine, spinach, grilled chickem, strawberries and maybe a little almonds for crunch.
  • Laurasteinhoff
    Options
    Thanks for sharing.
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    I would do spinach, almonds, goat cheese and chicken...
  • sheri02r
    sheri02r Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Any idea how long it will keep?
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I love this on fresh spinach (or romaine) with bacon bits (yes, real bacon!), strawberries and toasted almonds! Delicious!
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I was at a retreat this last weekend and they served this as the dressing for the salad and it was OMG UNBELIEVEABLY GOOD!!!! I just HAD to share.

I had to look this recipe up and found it on Taste of Home's website:

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Strawberry-Vinaigrette

But at a glance this is the recipe:
    Prep/Total Time: 10 min. Yield: 20 Servings

Ingredients
    •1 package (16 ounces) frozen unsweetened strawberries, thawed
    •6 tablespoons lemon juice
    •1/4 cup sugar
    •2 tablespoons cider vinegar
    •2 tablespoons olive oil
    •1/8 teaspoon poppy seeds

Directions
    •Place the strawberries in a blender; cover and process until pureed. Add lemon juice and sugar; cover and process until blended. While processing, gradually add vinegar and oil in a steady stream; process until thickened. Stir in poppy seeds. Transfer to a large bowl or jar; cover and store in the refrigerator. Yield: 2-1/2 cups.

:smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:
    When I put this recipe into MFP recipe creator using regular sugar, for 20 servings: 29 calories per serving!!!! Using a sugar substitute like Stevia drops it down to a whopping 20 calories per serving!!!

This is a fantastic dressing alternative and just PERFECT for summer salads!! I'm making it for this weekend!
    Thank you for the recipe! Is the calorie count of 29 for 2 tablespoons?
  • Notorious_T
    Notorious_T Posts: 384
    Options
    This would pair nicely with a spinach or a spring mix base, fresh sliced strawberries, fresh blueberries, kiwi, pecans and some bleu cheese or feta....I LOVE using fresh fruit to make salads :) thanks for sharing!!!! Also using balsamic vinegar would def be good if you don't have or like apple cider vinegar.
  • jutymo
    jutymo Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    :smile:
  • sherrirb
    Options
    What type of salad would you put that on? (sorry if that sounds like a stupid question)!

I put it on a salad of spinach, leafy romaine with sliced almonds and strawberries. Yummy!
  • sherrirb
    Options
    Any idea how long it will keep?

I am not sure, I've never made viniagrette dressing before. I Googled it and standard was about a week. I made a double batch for a luncheon at church today and have about half of it left. But I dont think it will last a whole week, I just LOVE it and plan to eat salads with it every day this week! :happy:
  • sherrirb
    Options
    Thank you for the recipe! Is the calorie count of 29 for 2 tablespoons?

Yes, that is 29 calories for 2 tablespoon serving.
  • leslieanne1010
    leslieanne1010 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sherrirb
    Options
    This would pair nicely with a spinach or a spring mix base, fresh sliced strawberries, fresh blueberries, kiwi, pecans and some bleu cheese or feta....I LOVE using fresh fruit to make salads :) thanks for sharing!!!! Also using balsamic vinegar would def be good if you don't have or like apple cider vinegar.

Very good point!

I did end up adding some regular (dark) balsamic vinegar to it because it was missing a tang and that was exactly what it needed although it definitely darkened the viniagrette. The recipe I got last week from the cook at the retreat called for white balsamic but for some reason white balsamic has calories (in MFP) but regular balsamic I have in my cupboard does not. I may have to look further into this. Might have something to do with the distillation process or something, not sure.