Is it possible to get a flat stomach. (Excess skin)

Options

Replies

• LinaBo
    LinaBo Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Hi Mhegwood,

Without seeing a body shot of you as you are, currently, I can't tell how far away you are from a flat stomach. Based on the amount of weight you have to lose, though, it will likely take some time. I myself start seeing a flattish stomach around 210 lbs, but I'm pear-shaped and don't carry so much around my middle. You cannot spot-train any fatty area, you can only spot-train muscle. It will help you build nice, firm curves and a flat tummy if you build all of your muscles, especially abdominal muscles, to have something firm and shapely to show through as you lose the overlaying fat. Burning more calories than you take in is the only non-surgical way to lose that fat, though, and your body is going to shed it from all over, according to your own genetics.

I'm worried about the excess skin when I lose the weight, too, but having been around a very supportive, natural weightlifting/weight loss forum before (I used to lift, and was a heck of a lot more fit, back in the day. I also previously lost 70 lbs), this question came up a lot amongst people who went from being obese to getting really "ripped". What seems to work best for getting the skin to shrink back as much as possible is to lose all extra body fat, as any padding that you could stand to lose gives the excess skin something to cling to. When that extra fat is gone and you have really leaned out and built supporting muscle (because excess skin will also be worse if you are a bone rack from not having built up your lean muscle mass), the skin has nothing filling it that makes it droop in "pouches" so much; it has to adhere more to your frame.

I definitely think there's a point where you can get too big to have the skin FULLY shrink back. I haven't found anyone with a loss greater than 140 lbs who hasn't had some loose skin remaining. Heavily stretchmarked skin doesn't seem to shrink back as well, as stretchmarks are evidence that the skin has been pushed beyond its elasticity. Other factors such as age and genetics can also play a role, as well as nutrition (feeding you body the nutrients and water that it needs as you lose weight will help your skin shrink better, and regular moisturizing doesn't hurt! Cocoa butter is your friend!). That said, I think there are too may people going under the knife for loose skin, who could've shrunk it back without surgery if they just lost more body fat and built some more muscle, and had some patience. I know that I would rather have patience than nasty scars running around my body from that kind of surgery.

This is the Facebook page for Elizabeth Hronek: http://www.facebook.com/pages/ElizaFIT-Elizabeth-Hronek/150720244971579?ref=ts This lady is my current "fitspo" (Fitspiration. I don't do Thinspiration, because I believe a woman who is skinny but lacking in muscle isn't very good looking at all). Check out her before and after photos! You will be AMAZED. She lost 140 lbs and is now a personal trainer and fitness competitor, and looks SUPER HOT. Virtually no loose skin, and a few stretchmarks that to me are only noticeable due to the spray tan she sports when she's competing. This is the kind of "leaned out" physique I was refering to, that gets that loose skin to shrink back as much as possible.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    You know... when you get to where you've lost 160 lbs, I think worrying about a little extra belly wiggle is a very small thing. Whatever you look like by the end will be amazing! :D
  • delco714
    delco714 Posts: 229
    Options
    i went from 215 to 168 and i am at my goal weight... loose skin on my lower "pouch". And there are stretch marks there big time. That will never go away unless I have surgery for it.

Remember, how quick you gain the weight and lose the weight are key on top of the natural elasticity of your skin.

My skin is tough, not very elastic, thus my dilemma.
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I've read that tanning actually helps. I don't tan, only fry. We fear the sun.
  • MommyRobin
    MommyRobin Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I think skin sag depends on a lot of things-- how long you've been overweight (the longer, the more likely it will be saggy), your age (skin loses elasticity with age), genetics (affect everything), speed of loss (more prevalent with bypass surgeries, for example), musculature (more muscles, more stuff to fill out the skin--in a simplification). I've read it can take up to a year after reaching goal weight for your skin to stop shrinking, which would then be the point where you would contemplate surgery.

^^^this^^^ Well said.
  • _hi_hat3r_
    _hi_hat3r_ Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    The only way to get a flat stomach and/or avoid loose skin is through diet. Cardio is really not needed. If anything statt lifting some weights and maintain whatever lean mass you have rt now. Cocoa butter and time will help with the skin as well.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    The best advice I can give... learn to love your body, excess skin, fat, stretch marks... everything.
  • melhayes1115
    melhayes1115 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    From what I understand, the key is to lose slowly. I know everyone wants the weight gone as soon as possible, but if you lose at a slow and steady pace, you are more likely not to have the loose skin.
  • CookieCrumble
    CookieCrumble Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    The best advice I can give... learn to love your body, excess skin, fat, stretch marks... everything.

I agree with this. I've yo-yo dieted all of my life, with zero positive effect, until I came here. I love what you've put as your motivation - "Focused this time!". That is it, that's all you need to get your mind into gear and motivate yourself. You can do this.

I'm currently 264 pounds down from 327. I'm lifting weights and am seeing fantastic results even at the high weight I'm at. Maybe I'll have some loose skin further down the line but it won't be as much as it could be if I sit around eating lettuce leafs and not working my body. That's what I'm focusing on. This is a long journey and I'm committed to it, come what may. So I'll go to the gym, eat properly and drink water, swim and generally move more... and while I'm doing all that I'll add in doing other things that I want to do, that make me happy, and TRUST THE PROCESS.

You can do this, I'm so pleased for you because I know you'll do it and you're going to look amazing. Any body 'defects' you worry about now will fade into insignificance when you start getting fitter, smaller and healthier - no matter how far away you are from your goal. I promise you this. I feel fitter and healthier now than I ever have and, if I didn't lose another pound, not another ounce, I would still have the way I feel now which is so much better than I felt before - so a win/win.

Enjoy the process and trust in it - once you set the dials to 'go-go-go', nothing and nobody will stop you. I'm rooting for you! :flowerforyou:
  • GodsyGirl
    GodsyGirl Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    thanks guys for all the support and suggestions I really appreciate it!
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    lose weight slowly. do both cardio and strength training to get best results. this will help all areas of your body not just your stomach.
  • GodsyGirl
    Options
    I keep "hearing" strength training and I want to start. Does anyone have any specific things I should be trying?
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Start doing cardio now, when I started I had 130-135lbs to lose I'm down 116.5 right now. My stomach is getting flatter, no loose skin, Cardio is the only real thing besides surgery to get rid of belly fat...

I'm sorry, but this is completely, and utterly inaccurate.

If that were true this:

7434194_2240.jpg

To this:

7434194_4338.jpg

In three months, on nothing but heavy strength training for less than an hour a day 3x a week, wouldn't have been possible.
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    I keep "hearing" strength training and I want to start. Does anyone have any specific things I should be trying?

Google Starting Strength, or Stronglifts 5x5. There's a women's group on MFP that supports Stronglifts...maybe one of these ladies can give you the link.
  • GodsyGirl
    Options
    Thanks crisanderson2! and you have done a great job by the way. you look good
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    Thanks crisanderson2! and you have done a great job by the way. you look good

• BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    With that amount of weight loss you will probably have some excess skin. Some peoples skin has more elasticity than others though. You may be one of the people that doesn't get the excess skin. If you do...Its not that big of a deal! 160 lbs lost will be such a great accomplishment! :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Im fairly new to this journey. (About 30 days) I have 160 pounds to lose and i am really scared about losing the weight and then having a stomach "pouch" Is there anything I can do now to help me get a flat stomach. It doesnt have to be super flat but I don't want excess skin hanging over my pants. Plastic surgery would not be an option.
    If you have that much to lose, chances are you're going to have excess skin. It's not a choice or something that you can physically do to absolve it with diet and exercise. If surgery in no an option, then there are compression clothing you can wear underneath to keep it from hanging.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer/Group Fitness Instructor
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • mommakatwoman
    Options
    It's hard work. I am working toward that goal. I am much older and I wish I had started trying to flattten my stomache earlier.
    the longer you wait the harder it gets...so get started and stay focused now.
  • ShareeMorty
    ShareeMorty Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I need to lose about 60kg all up, I fully expect to have loose skin at the end. I am hoping exercise will reduce the amount but I keep this thought in my mind...

I would rather stuff loose skin into a size 16 pair of jeans than keep wearing a size 24-26:wink: