Body Tattoos

Options

Replies

• lesbodwell
    lesbodwell Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Im a big fan of tattoos! The only advice I will give is choose placement wisely. If you work a professional job you should consider what people will see. Personally I don't care what people have for ink but I only have one tattoo that is visible with a shirt on. Just my opinion, as we do have to make a living. Other than that any tattoos I get are very symbolic of a specific point in my life. But get what you like! Its art bro, there is no right and wrong!
  • Pinoy_Pal
    Pinoy_Pal Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    When done right, it's a great means of expression.
  • rcates2424
    rcates2424 Posts: 208
    Options
    Best advice, " a good tattoo isn't cheap and a cheap tattoo isn't good"
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Got my very first one last month and absolutely love it. Been designing tattoos #2 and #3 in my head since then. :)
  • MzCongeniality70
    MzCongeniality70 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I have quite a few of them, and love them! I love the whole experience..even the pain! :happy: I am also a big fan of piercings. Find a reputable artist, and remember, you get what you pay for. Don't be afraid to spend some cash. :drinker:
  • AzhureSnow
    AzhureSnow Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Go for it... however... when it comes to expos and large pieces of work... You need to be aware that after a few hours, your skin will start to get angry, and it can be a lot of trauma to heal at once. For example, I rarely go for more than 4 hours because that's typically the tipping point for my skin to stop taking ink effectively. I can do about 4 hours, once a week, but that's my limit if I want it to heal well.
    also - make sure you're prepared for the aftercare... the actual tattooing is only a tiny part of the process - an amazing tattoo, without proper aftercare, will look like crap.
  • jackieatx
    jackieatx Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    My husband is a tattoo artist at atomic here in Austin, Texas. He loves going to expos to get flash, sketchbooks and ink but when he works them specifically because he can charge at least 15% more. If I were you I'd go check out some of the portfolios of artists at shops around your town. There might be some local gems and you won't charge markup plus whatever you have to pay to get in the convention.
  • MLgarcia3
    MLgarcia3 Posts: 503
    Options
    Love them! Super addictive though ;-)
  • AzhureSnow
    Options
    Love tattoos but think that whatever you get should always have meaning. Not big on random cartoons and getting a tat just because everyone else has the same one.

I got past my "tattoos need meaning" phase about a half-dozen tattoos ago. Like, I want my body to be aesthetic. Most of my work has no "meaning" other than I find it pretty and I enjoy the way it looks on my body.
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    Best advice, " a good tattoo isn't cheap and a cheap tattoo isn't good"

Great words!!!! I have 17....all of them though out before getting them....I have one shop I have been going to since I was 18. They do great work and have referred many people to them....will be getting another this fall, would get it this summer, but will be in the pool!!

Best of luck on what you get and location of it.
  • wranglerlaura
    Options
    This will not be a popular response. I believe that many tattoos are tacky, unattractive, and poorly thought out. In 20 years or less, many folks are going to suffer from Tattooers' Remorse. I would make sure to have it done in a spot that can be covered because tattoos violate the dress codes of many companies. As for tattoos being the mark of an original person, it's not ground-breaking, iconoclastic, or defiant to do something that everyone else is doing. It's conformist.

If you select a foreign phrase, make sure a native speaker of the language confirms that it has been correctly rendered.

May you pick a nice one.

I haven't met anybody with Tattooer's remorse personally, I'm sure there are some out there that feel that way though. It sounds like you've taken your time to think it out and make sure it's what you want, so yeah, go for it. These are some good things to keep in mind though, make sure it's you, the artist is awesome, and you post us a picture.
  • AzhureSnow
    Options
    This will not be a popular response. I believe that many tattoos are tacky, unattractive, and poorly thought out. In 20 years or less, many folks are going to suffer from Tattooers' Remorse. I would make sure to have it done in a spot that can be covered because tattoos violate the dress codes of many companies. As for tattoos being the mark of an original person, it's not ground-breaking, iconoclastic, or defiant to do something that everyone else is doing. It's conformist.

If you select a foreign phrase, make sure a native speaker of the language confirms that it has been correctly rendered.

May you pick a nice one.

I've had my oldest tattoo for almost 10 years... still don't regret it. The only people I know with "remorse" are people who went to crappy artists to begin with and got shoddy work. I absolutely love the way my body looks with my tattoos, and have no intention to stop. And it's never stopped me from getting a job.
  • redponykells
    Options
    Love them! However....they can, do and will hurt...but only for a little bit. Be sure to cover your new ink from sunlight for the first couple of days as it will feel like a nasty sunburn....but most importantly GET ONE THAT HAS MEANING TO YOU!!! otherwise you'll have a regretful experience....I love all of mine, but have met ppl with what the other responders call 'tattooers remorse'
  • jackieatx
    jackieatx Posts: 578 Member
    Options

May you pick a nice one.

I agree with one thing that you said: you should always check and re-check translations. It is the artists job to tattoo you in a sterile manner and put on you what you want. It's pretty funny when someone gets a kanji that they think means "sexy" and it actually means "wild boar" or something
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Tattoos are cool.
    Just make sure it's not a phase or some weekend warrior sh@t you're doing!
    They're permanent!
    And yes you get what you pay for!!
    Be patient and take your time.
    Don't just walk into a chop shop and point.
    If the Artist is booked for a couple three months before he can get to you.
    THEN YOU WAIT ON HIM!!
    Patience = No regrets.
    Take care from SoCal
  • KrisyKat
    KrisyKat Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Don't do it!!!!!!!!! Tattoos are totally lame and stupid! :laugh:
  • JamieDD
    JamieDD Posts: 175 Member
    Options

May you pick a nice one.

I haven't met anybody with Tattooer's remorse personally, I'm sure there are some out there that feel that way though. It sounds like you've taken your time to think it out and make sure it's what you want, so yeah, go for it. These are some good things to keep in mind though, make sure it's you, the artist is awesome, and you post us a picture.

My husband is one of the few...he has one on his forearm and he really dislikes it. He never and I mean never, wears short sleeve shirts because of it. Of course he will around me, but if he's sitting here in his T-shirt and someone comes to the door...he's grabbing a long sleeve shirt. Me...I like his tatoo...who doesn't :heart: Pepe LePew. :flowerforyou: I thought of getting Penelope on my forearm. :laugh:
  • amelia2033
    amelia2033 Posts: 20
    Options
    Go for it: Myself I love tattoos, it's a form of art:
    The fun part is creating what you would like, and seeing it done.

:)
  • zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options
    You're at risk for more exposure to disease at an expo (poor air circulation, lots of people). Might want to consider your infection risk. That said, I love my tattoos and my artist-- been going to her for a few years and love it.
  • Kryssybee86
    Options
    When I got my first tattoo when I was 16, there was a sign in the shop that said "Welcome to your new addiction". It has stuck with me ever since and I just got tattoo #3 today! I have a few other places I want to get inked and plan to have my foot inked when I get to the end of my weight loss journey. A nice gift to myself!!!